PDA

View Full Version : Small yards

Mike's Yard Services
05-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Am sure most started out with these.and believe it or not, I love them. No muss and not much fuss. I do pick up bigger jobs on occasion but am happy being the little guy. Am looking to buy a 36inch soon to cut time and increase volume.........most below 3500 sf, with 21in mower around $26-35.sound fair?
Am currently maintaining roughly 12-16/week..some vacation cuts also and other misc jobs on same properties. Side work averages $35/hr plus costs dump,rentals etc

ed2hess
05-07-2005, 06:55 PM
You got a good thing going at that price you better hope you can stay below the radar of the full time services in your area. We all are beginning to realize that if you can get a lot of yards in one neighborhood you can bring in a lot of money. We run a crew of 4 on one of our trucks and do very well on small yards grouped together.

chefdrp
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Thats what i want to target next. A bunch of small 15 min lawns that i can get like 20 bucks for. I beats doing large lawns for say 40-50 bucks that take close to an hr.

logan
05-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Me too. I realize that I can make more money per hour on medium to small lawns, than bigger ones. The only difference is gas in the truck to get there costs a little bit more. It seems to be less wear on your machines because they don't run for hours on end. I can charge a dollar a minute on the smaller lawns and get it. If a lawn takes an hour and a half to mow, it is very hard to charge 90 dollars for that lawn(in Florida that is). This year I am downsizing to a few more smaller sized lawns that are closer to home and getting rid of the monster sized lawns.

Mike's Yard Services
05-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks, this is a great site.have been reading for months..but just got in the door..............Awesome and very helpful.Mike

Darryl G
05-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Yes, you can often do better on small lawns, but If I can't use at least a 48 inch mower for most of the lawn, I won't do it. I really can't stand using a 21 inch mower, even if the lawn is small. You've gotta walk behind those things.