PDA

View Full Version : Customer decided to do the job himself.

proenterprises
05-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Last week, I dropped 2 yards of mulch off at a customers house. They knew that I was going to drop the mulch off last week, and install it tomorrow. I get a call today, saying that they spread the mulch themselves, but need me to drop off more and install it.

Im furious that they took it upon themselves to do my job. What would you do in this situation?, tell them to shove it up their a**, continue with a smile, or what?

LightningLawns
05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I'd charge them the same amount whether they did it themselves or not

mkwl
05-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd charge them the same amount whether they did it themselves or not

I agree, I'd be pretty POed too!

Mike's Yard Services
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Alrightee.bet they did not know they just bought the most expensive homeowner installed mulch on the block......full price.............or atleast close to it. Definitely full price for the next install....making money anyway for no work on first two yds, other than the delivery.....you did drop it right or did u have delivered.they can still pay for that.

proenterprises
05-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I delivered the mulch myself. However, I sepparate my material fee from my labor fee. Thus, I am going to have a pretty hard time charging for labor that I did not do. I probably should have had them sign somthing, but never in the world saw this coming along. Oh well, Im heading over there now, we shall see what happens.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Did they see the material price? If not go up on the mulch and maybe after the 2nd load you will be near the price of the 1st mulch installed. If they saw an itemized bill then I would come up with '' I gave a discount on the mulch because I was gonna make some $$ on the install, but my price for just delivery is X price, not what I qouted for delivery and install''

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I would charge them the same price unless they saw an itemized bill already. Either that or I would just drop off mulch this time and say you did such a great job of doing the first load you can do the 2nd load as well. Or if they want you to do the 2nd install, up the price on them.

Turf Technologies
05-07-2005, 05:37 PM
What this big deal? Its there home if they wanted in install it themselves let them.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-07-2005, 05:57 PM
If you were supposed to do the work and made time to do it, you are losing money. He may have turned down other work to do this job. Thats the big deal.

Turf Technologies
05-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Thats life. How mant times have you cancelled a appiontment?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-07-2005, 06:04 PM
How many times have you gone back and rescheduled that appointment? They still get there money.

LightningLawns
05-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Maybe you can charge a delivery fee, it takes time to go and pick the mulch up, and then unload it out of your truck. That should cost more than just the price of the mulch. To make it fair, since you itemized your billing just charge them half price, since part of picking it up and dropping it off is labor.

Watkinslawnservice
05-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I guess I would charge them for the mulch and delivery fee, get the second batch of mulch and deliver and install on the same day. I would probably never deliver mulch a week ahead of time unless there was a really good reason. Remember that the customer had to sit and look at it for a week. Probably got tired of it being there. Plus, where do you put the mulch for a week? In the driveway? I would think it would be in the way. In the yard? Kill the grass. Don't get pissed. Use it as a learning experience and move on. You didn't lose any money on this, you just didn't make as much as you thought. If they didn't call you in the 1st place you would have made nothing, but if they call you every year to install new mulch, how much will you make? Or maybe they will eventually want more of your services or perhaps a neighbor or a friend will as well. Never piss a customer off over something this small.

Appalachian landscape
05-07-2005, 07:25 PM
double the price of the mulch + $25-$30 hr from the time you started on your way to pick up the mulch untill the you finished unloading.

double price cuyard x number of cuyards + hours@ $30 = price

I pay $13 cuyard
$13 x 2= $26 $26 x 10+ $120 (4hours)= $380 you just made $250 profit.

ed2hess
05-07-2005, 07:35 PM
As some say take this as a learning experience and don't try to make things worse by overcharging for mulch delivery. If this is a good customer don't mess with upcharge for mulch delivery. They can easily check what it cost to have 2 yds delivered and that would be $70 total in our area(up to 12miles).

Appalachian landscape
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
my price for 10 yds is only $30 higher than yours.

wojo23323
05-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I delivered the mulch myself. However, I sepparate my material fee from my labor fee. Thus, I am going to have a pretty hard time charging for labor that I did not do. I probably should have had them sign somthing, but never in the world saw this coming along. Oh well, Im heading over there now, we shall see what happens.

I never give a material price and a labor price. I just give them the total job price. They don't need to know my material costs.

crawdad
05-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I never give a material price and a labor price. I just give them the total job price. They don't need to know my material costs.

Well, you don't give them your material cost, you give them their material cost.

Last week, I dropped 2 yards of mulch off .......
Im furious that they took it upon themselves to do my job. What would you do in this situation?, tell them to shove it up their a**, continue with a smile, or what?

Charge a delivery fee.

proenterprises
05-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank you guys. Yes, I am going to charge a delivery fee and call it done. The big deal was that I did plan out a day to do it, and did have a helper lined up to work (I am usually solo), so you can see why it was such a problem.

Thanks for your help. Ill keep you posted.

MowerMoney
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Not quite the same, but I had a call from a man 2 weeks ago to aerate his lawn. But he said it was a bit too wet yet so do it about 2 weeks. I called him this last Wednesday and left a message that I would be there to aerate this Saturday (today).
When I got there, I saw core plugs on his lawn, went to his door and he says someone else came 2 weeks ago and already did it. Like he could have told me especially since I left him a message. I feel like mailing him an invoice for $20 for stopping fee (knowing that I would never get it).
Some people just don't appreciate that we are in business and that our time is money to us.

sheshovel
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
If they were informed that you weren't going to install for a week and agreed that that was OK with them,then doing the job they hired you for is out of line.
If that was the only time you could get the mulch over there and the only time you could squeeze them into your schedual was a week after,
mabey you should plan a little better.

I would ask them why they did it themselves and explain to them that you had a day set aside and help hired and they inconvienenced you and lost your labor $ by doing it themselves.
If they had a problem with looking at the mulch,they should have called and told you that and given you a chance to install it.They did it to screw you out of labor $ and they know it.
I would charge them double for the second install and delivery.I would tell them why they got that charge also.
Or I might be pissed enough to bill them for the first delivery double right now,then tell them I have no time to do the second for them and walk on it.

proenterprises
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
If they were informed that you weren't going to install for a week and agreed that that was OK with them,then doing the job they hired you for is out of line.
If that was the only time you could get the mulch over there and the only time you could squeeze them into your schedual was a week after,
mabey you should plan a little better.

I would ask them why they did it themselves and explain to them that you had a day set aside and help hired and they inconvienenced you and lost your labor $ by doing it themselves.
If they had a problem with looking at the mulch,they should have called and told you that and given you a chance to install it.They did it to screw you out of labor $ and they know it.
I would charge them double for the second install and delivery.I would tell them why they got that charge also.
Or I might be pissed enough to bill them for the first delivery double right now,then tell them I have no time to do the second for them and walk on it.

Heres why this happened. I go to school 6 days a week, and everything is pretty hectic. I had to drop the mulch last week, because it was the only time I could get a hold of a dump truck. They KNEW and AGREED that it would be installed, with MY labor this weekend. They decided to screw me and save the install fee.

I believe I will just add a delivery fee to the bill. I will not be doing anymore mulching for this account either.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

Precision
05-08-2005, 01:50 PM
When you don't have time to do the job right then you risk this happening.

2 yds of mulch is less than 2 hours of work for a solo op. With a helper it should be less than and hour. It would take longer to drive there dump it, drive away, drive back and do it then just to do it.

Chalk it up as a learning experience. Charge them a reasonable delivery fee if you didn't already and be done.

Would you leave your mower at their house for a week waiting for you to have time to mow. NO. Same thing with mulch.

YardPro
05-08-2005, 09:37 PM
charge the marterials plus 40% markup and a delivery fee to cover your time delivering....

Watkinslawnservice
05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Heres why this happened. I go to school 6 days a week, and everything is pretty hectic. I had to drop the mulch last week, because it was the only time I could get a hold of a dump truck. They KNEW and AGREED that it would be installed, with MY labor this weekend. They decided to screw me and save the install fee.

I believe I will just add a delivery fee to the bill. I will not be doing anymore mulching for this account either.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

In my opinion(which I realize is not worth a damn anyway)you screwed yourself for not doing things the right way in the 1st place. So I guess what I am saying is if you let this little incident allow you to drive away a present and possibly future customer or customers then SHAME ON YOU!

Watkinslawnservice
05-08-2005, 11:26 PM
When you don't have time to do the job right then you risk this happening.

2 yds of mulch is less than 2 hours of work for a solo op. With a helper it should be less than and hour. It would take longer to drive there dump it, drive away, drive back and do it then just to do it.

Chalk it up as a learning experience. Charge them a reasonable delivery fee if you didn't already and be done.

Would you leave your mower at their house for a week waiting for you to have time to mow. NO. Same thing with mulch.

Is that right? It was only 2 yrds of mulch? I don't remember him stating how many yards but if it was only 2 then you should have been able to get that in a heaping pick-up load not to mention a trailer. So why the dump truck? And if it was more mulch then why not just have it delivered by the wholesaler on the day of the job instead of having to line up your own dump truck if you don't have much time?

crawdad
05-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Is that right? It was only 2 yrds of mulch? I don't remember him stating how many yards but if it was only 2 then you should have been able to get that in a heaping pick-up load not to mention a trailer. So why the dump truck? And if it was more mulch then why not just have it delivered by the wholesaler on the day of the job instead of having to line up your own dump truck if you don't have much time?

I put three yards in my pickup truck. It doesn't make sense to use a dump truck, dump it on the ground, then come back and shovel it up.
Why didn't you bring the mulch in a pickup when you're ready to do the work, and shovel it down onto a wheelbarrow?
Two yards, shoveling from a pickup, a very small job.
Crawdad