PDA

View Full Version : chain saw help

bobcatnj
05-07-2005, 05:09 PM
i was using my chain saw 2day and its not really cutting the wood. its like burning the wood and smoke is coming out where im cutting. i just got the chain sharpened and it was the first time i used with the sharpened chain. anyone have any ideas what the problem is??

ClippersLC
05-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey, I'm not trying to imply anything...but did you check and make sure the chain is not on backwards? I've made this mistake a few times :waving:

PLM-1
05-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey, I'm not trying to imply anything...but did you check and make sure the chain is not on backwards? I've made this mistake a few times :waving:

That or too tight. Is your oiler working?

Forest
05-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Make sure that your chain isn't to loose. A chain with too much slack will turn in the wood while you're pushing through. Make sure too that the bar is in good shape. I just dealt with the same situation myself.

bobcatnj
05-08-2005, 09:28 AM
yea theres oil in it. this might be dumb, but how do you know if the chain is on backwards??

TURF DOCTOR
05-08-2005, 09:32 AM
The drag links might need to be files down

PLM-1
05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
It cuts from the tip backwards on the bottom. Make surethat when it spins that the correct end of the chain is cutting.

bobcatnj
05-08-2005, 04:49 PM
anyone have pics of the chain? im pretty sure i have it on the right way. but i wanna see

supper_slash
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
anyone have pics of the chain? I'm pretty sure i have it on the right way. but i wanna see

\__|========/```|========\__| >>>>>> this way to motor>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< to tip of bar<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now i do not have a pic, and the links should be looking like above, you might need to fill in the blanks but you should be able to see the idea, you should not have the flat side first. P.S. this is if you look down at the top of the saw like you had it siting on the ground looking at it. I hope that this helps.
To know if you are getting the right amount of oil on your chain, point the tip of your chain saw, toward a piece of card board about 10 inches away and rap the chain saw up if it splatters the card board with oil then it is getting good oil. i hope that this helps.

o-so-n-so
05-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Here are a few pics of the chain on the saw. Looking down on the chain, the cutter tip points towards the bar tip.

bobcatnj
05-09-2005, 05:57 PM
yea my dumb ass had the chain on backwards. thanks for the help