PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a bad day?

Eddie B
05-07-2005, 09:51 PM
I did. My truck was parked out of sight while doing a lawn, I went back to load the mower and the truck was gone. Truck, trailer, trimmers, 2 21's and my 36" bobcat were gone. What a day!

jpp
05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they will find the the truck and trailer around the area you were cutting. They were probably after the equipment and swithed it over to another truck parked near by. That kind of thing was going on here last year so I started taking the keys out of the truck. Never did before.

lawnman_scott
05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
was it all insured?

proenterprises
05-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they will find the the truck and trailer around the area you were cutting. They were probably after the equipment and swithed it over to another truck parked near by. That kind of thing was going on here last year so I started taking the keys out of the truck. Never did before.

Me too. I dont leave the keys in the truck, never did though. Just the thought of not being able to see your truck, and having the keys inside it dosent make sense.
The only time I leave the keys in-I have a couple places that have very long drives off the road, where no one comes anyway.

sheshovel
05-07-2005, 10:56 PM
He diden't say he left his keys in the truck.I lock down all equipment that I can't see.

BCSteel
05-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Not much you can do when they take the whole truck and trailer though.

Geez, and I though I had it bad when all my 2 cycle stuff went missing... 2 weeks in a row.

Eddie B
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Its insured. I was kinda surprised at the amount of police that responded. They still didn't find the truck. Trimmers were locked to the rack, nothing else was locked. Looks like Monday I may be shopping for some new stuff.

GrassBustersLawn
05-07-2005, 11:49 PM
BUMMER. MAJOR BUMMER. Even with insurance it is a big loss in TIME & ENERGY for YOU. Plus the deductible & co-insurance. Hopefully the police will catch the bums.

Mike

Eddie B
05-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Police department decides to call me at 4 in the freakin morning and they found my truck/trailer. I get to pick it up in a few hours. and pay a nice little towing fee. I hope the truck is ok. Equipment is gone. as expected.

proenterprises
05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Police department decides to call me at 4 in the freakin morning and they found my truck/trailer. I get to pick it up in a few hours. and pay a nice little towing fee. I hope the truck is ok. Equipment is gone. as expected.

Let us know how everything turns out when you pick it up. Glad they found it.

topsites
05-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Not much you can do when they take the whole truck and trailer though.

Geez, and I though I had it bad when all my 2 cycle stuff went missing... 2 weeks in a row.

One thing has helped me is I removed the orange cover from the Stihl BR-420.
The weed-eater looks like hell, too.
They don't take that stuff.

But another thing:
Wherever you buy your equipment, if is a reputable dealer, should still have the serial number of your equipment on file. Get them to put the serial number of the stolen equipment in the computer as stolen, and if whoever later 'owns' the stolen equipment brings it in for repair anywhere in the USA, the equipment will be confiscated and you will get a phone-call.
On that note:
- The person who brought the stolen equipment in for repair may not be the thief.
- You will get your stuff back, but of course, in whatever condition.

Just some ideas...

BCSteel
05-08-2005, 11:26 AM
^^^

I drilled a hole on the inside of the box on my truck and have a 10' cable with an over sized lock on it that I string through all my equipment now to keep it in the truck whenever I stop somewhere to work.

The second time my stuff got lifted I got it all back in about 20 min. A guy across the road saw who took it and told me where the theif took it... 2 houses over. I walked over, kicked in the door to his shed and took my stuff back lol.

I have all the serial numbers of my equipment on file and gave it to the cops and what not but realisticly I would never expect to see any of it again.

BLS, I hope your truck isnt trashed. Might be better if they didnt find it then.

ALarsh
05-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Shoulda had LoJack.

Green Pastures
05-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Thank God, I've never had anything stolen from my business.

PTOhioMower
05-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Im supprised most people here dont have a toggle kill switch under the dash. Its so cheap and easy to do!!

It doesnt help much for the hand helds, but at least you wont have to walk home.

Eddie B
05-09-2005, 05:56 AM
They abandoned the truck at the canal banks... its all muddy and front bumper is bent from hitting something. Trailer was still locked to the truck. Trimmer racks are completely gone. Toolbox on trailer, gone. My employees should enjoy their day off tomorrow while I get some equipment and put this all back together. Thank god for good credit.

captken
05-09-2005, 12:13 PM
They abandoned the truck at the canal banks... its all muddy and front bumper is bent from hitting something. Trailer was still locked to the truck. Trimmer racks are completely gone. Toolbox on trailer, gone. My employees should enjoy their day off tomorrow while I get some equipment and put this all back together. Thank god for good credit.

I hope this scenario never happens to anyone. We always try and work someone within sight of the rig. We strive NEVER to leave it even just out of eyesight even for a second. That is not possible at all times, and I have walked up and seen a "brotha man" walking slowly past, close to the truck/trailer, checking it out, he saw me and he crossed the street pronto.
I have heard horror tales of people scoping out a crew working, waiting for the opportunity to take advantage.
Always take your keys, make it a habit!
I wear my key chain around my neck on a hefty long bright orange lanyard with a large yellow foam [boat key float buoy], in case I drop it, it is easy to find.

Pro-Scapes
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Ed.

Really sorry to hear bout your misfortune. Crappy way to get new gear that's for sure. I'm lucky to only have 1 acct where I really need to keep tabs on my rig. Everything is locked on to my trailer and trailer locked to my truck. Only thing I had lifted was my stihl chainsaw 2 yrs ago and that was my fault for leaving it sit on the trailer near the road just sitting in plain view.

With my new rack I can't secure my 2 strokes without physically locking them.

Eddie B
05-09-2005, 12:57 PM
From now on I'll call it "The Survivor".

I'm glad it wasn't completely destroyed. I've put a lot of money into this truck.

jpp
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I am curious were the keys in it or did they screw up the ignition switch? Front bumper does not look to bad. Give it a wash and you will be all set.

JP

JimLewis
05-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow. That sucks. But if anyone ever steals one of our trucks, it ain't gonna be hard for the police to locate it. "....We have an APB out on a bright red truck with Lewis Landscape Services plastered in huge letters all over both sides and the bumper....please be on the lookout......" Around here, they'd probably locate the [dumb] theif in about 20 minutes.

If they didn't, I guess I'd be enjoying a new truck, paint job, lettering job, trailer and all new equipment (via insurance). So that's not too bad of a prospect to look forward too! :D