PDA

View Full Version : Worn out blades

denco5
05-07-2005, 10:16 PM
When are your blades worn out. Is there a point when a blade no longer is useful and should be replaced?

Runner
05-07-2005, 10:30 PM
When the corners get rounded or broken off. The balade is just scrap, then I have probably a hundred pounds of scrap blades to get rid of.

logan
05-08-2005, 11:08 AM
when the lifting side of it is worn through, I toss it away.

ed2hess
05-08-2005, 11:09 AM
When the blade gets thin in the bottom of the curved section you need to pitch it for safety reason, per dealers!

Jason Rose
05-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Kinda depends on your mowing environment. Sandy soil is going to wear your sail off the blade (florida, sandhills) Whereas hard soil and mowing only lawns won't wear off the sail as fast as they get sharpened, and soon there is no more room to sharpen since the cutting edge nearly meets the sail. Wide blades are better in this situation.

On a sidenote, my grandparents had 3 acres in the sandhills here in Hutch, all weeds, but still needed to be mowed to look nice. Mowed every 2 weeks or so with a 38" cut lawn tractor. The blades were actually pretty heavy gague steel but in one mowing the sharp edge would be as dull as the side of your finger, literally! and after about 6 cuts the sails on the blades would be completely worn off. Now that's abrasive mowing!