PDA

View Full Version : Walk or Ride

Patriots
05-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I need to make a choice - either walk or ride. What would y'all rather use on residential lots, 90% of my accounts are under 1/4 acre, a few at 1/2 acre, and 1 or 2 lots around an acre. Long story short I need to make a choice between a Snapper 36 hydro adj deck or an Encore Z34 - these are my only choices, no I cannot buy an Exmark, Scag, or even a "Better". The mowers with mulch kit installed are within $50.00 of each other - so money is not a factor. My other mowers are 21s so this will be my only larger mower for now. Need some good advice from some of y'all that have been down this road. Also is the Gravely and the Encore 34 the same mowers - single hydro? If not they look a lot alike, but I read much better things about the Gravely than I do the Enocre in here.

Thanks Again.

grasshopperslc
05-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I'd say that with the 36" Snapper you will go anywhere through some gates,up and down steep hills with no problem.I know you got 21 inchers but they just can't compete with a walk-behind.And as far as Encore goes.I had 32" walk-behind for a season and a tough season at that.I did grass cutting,brush hoggin' and more grass cutting with it and it did just fine.But I don't know about there ztrs??But with a ztr you will get big yards done fast and EZ!! :D

FuzzyOne
05-08-2005, 10:04 AM
My lawns are pretty much the same as yours....1/4 acre up in size. I had a small frame z for 1.5 seasons and got rid of it. On the tight properties, it was just too much turning. I didn't save any time with the z on my average size lawn.

I would get the Snapper hydro, but I'd also invest in a two wheel sulky. You'll get the best of both worlds and will be able to cruise on the larger lots. If you opt for a hydro, look at a non-pivoting sulky. This way you'll be ble to back-up with ease. This is my current setup and I'm a lot more productive now than I ever was with the z.

My only other recommendation would be a 48", but I know you said 36". As long as the gate allows, my 52" TTHP gets into all the little areas. Good luck.

topsites
05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
48" proline. It fits through some gates, and as far as the rest if it don't fit, I can't cut your grass, sorry.

I would never get a Home-owner's model lawn-mower to cut grass. If you can't afford a used proline (toro) at 1000 dollars, then maybe you need to learn to save your money first, because you won't make it. Crap like snapper is not designed to cut 5-6 yards/day, day after day. And if you don't have that many yards, it still won't hold up: Snapper is a home-owner's mower, designed to last 20 years with minor maintenance at the rate of 20-22 cuts/year (for ONE yard!). You use a Home-owner's model commercially, you'll have more downtime than you can imagine, the stupid thing will break on you once/week, once/month at best.

Then we wonder where the customers get their comedian act from ...

J.Gordon
05-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Snapper makes commercial machines to, http://www.snapperpro.com/comm_32_walkbehind_hydro.php.

ed2hess
05-08-2005, 10:53 AM
48" proline. It fits through some gates, and as far as the rest if it don't fit, I can't cut your grass, sorry.

I would never get a Home-owner's model lawn-mower to cut grass. If you can't afford a used proline (toro) at 1000 dollars, then maybe you need to learn to save your money first, because you won't make it. Crap like snapper is not designed to cut 5-6 yards/day, day after day. And if you don't have that many yards, it still won't hold up: Snapper is a home-owner's mower, designed to last 20 years with minor maintenance at the rate of 20-22 cuts/year (for ONE yard!). You use a Home-owner's model commercially, you'll have more downtime than you can imagine, the stupid thing will break on you once/week, once/month at best.

Then we wonder where the customers get their comedian act from ...
I have been in business for 35 years and we have used the 21" commericial Snapper and it does just fine. We also have two 36" hydro walkbehinds and those two units cut about 20 yards/day for the last 5 years. I have not had any major problem with either unit.

lawnandplow42
05-08-2005, 12:10 PM
walker with a stand up sulky

Patriots
05-08-2005, 01:42 PM
If I wanted a Toro I would purchase a Toro - shut your mouth and think before you speak. Snapper has a full commercial line, that I prefer to the Toro units - I knew it wouldn't take long for some jacka$$ know it all to blurt out "Buy this model, or that model". My question was fairly straight forward, and to most, an easy read - obviously not all.

And as far as money goes, first year in business and I did $27,000 in sales last month - I think I can afford to pay cash for whatever I decide to buy.

The mayor
05-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I would go with a walker and put on a sulky unit. I did it for years with larger lawns. Use the mower that has the best dealer support.

lawn_pro
05-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Go with the walk-behind.

lawnman_scott
05-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I used to use a 32 toro walkbehind, and I now have a gravley 34z that i use for backyards. I would definatly go with the encore, or gravely. Riding is so much better, easier on you and your employees.

Tider6972
05-08-2005, 03:59 PM
The Gravely PM34Z is a far superior mower to the Encore. Not a brand issue, just that the PM34Z is a fully commercial, "overbuilt" unit.

South Florida Lawns
05-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Personally I like to ride, After 2 1/2 years with the 32'' snapper wb (no sulky) i decided to get a ztr and i have more energy to get more yards finished in a day then with the wb. I wish the ztr would fit through the gates as nice as my snapper though. I think that if you already have some 21''s then get a rider and trim what u can't cut with the smaller mowers.

brucec32
05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
If I wanted a Toro I would purchase a Toro - shut your mouth and think before you speak. Snapper has a full commercial line, that I prefer to the Toro units - I knew it wouldn't take long for some jacka$$ know it all to blurt out "Buy this model, or that model". My question was fairly straight forward, and to most, an easy read - obviously not all.

And as far as money goes, first year in business and I did $27,000 in sales last month - I think I can afford to pay cash for whatever I decide to buy.

Yeah, sure you did, buddy.

lawnman_scott
05-11-2005, 11:53 PM
someone hacked into your computer and put that you have been in business for 7 years, at least thats what your profile says.