PDA

View Full Version : Would this tick you off?

dpullen4
05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I bought a ZTR today and inquired about purchasing the mulch kit. I asked if I bought it if they'd just slap it on there for me por nada. He was going to charge me $25. I could understand if I just showed up off the street, but I just spent a pretty good amount of money and can't hook me up with a free install.

extoro
05-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Don't know what mower you bought, but on some machines installing a mulch kit for $25 is a good deal

dpullen4
05-07-2005, 10:26 PM
He said it would only take 1/2 hour to install and their hourly rate is $52/hour. My point is that it's not like he was cutting me any kind of a deal. If I just showed up off the street with my mower, I'd say charge me a full hour. For someone that just shelled out $3,500, install the mulch kitas a way to go above and beyond to really satisfy a customer.

ed2hess
05-07-2005, 10:35 PM
We got a $7000 ZTR unit and the kit was not installed. After installing mine I realized why they didn't do it...it was hell!! You may be better off putting it in yourself so you know it is correct.

dpullen4
05-07-2005, 10:42 PM
We got a $7000 ZTR unit and the kit was not installed. After installing mine I realized why they didn't do it...it was hell!! You may be better off putting it in yourself so you know it is correct.

If it's hell, why would I want to go through the hassle for $25 to change 3 blades and add a deck plate? Odds are pretty good that they have more experience doing it than I do. :)

GrassBustersLawn
05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I HATE messing with the mulch kits. In fact, I finally took them off & left them off. SPOILING CUSTOMER & taking too much time mulching in the SPRING in INDY.

It take 1/2 an hour if you've DONE IT BEFORE & HAVE ALL PROPER EQUIP HANDY. Otherwise, plan on an hour & scraping your knuckles a few times!

I see YOUR POINT (service above & beyond) and I see DEALER'S POINT (he needs to charge for his (worker's) labor.

An INDY area shop with 3 locations recently went out of biz. Story I heard was he wasn't charging enough for his mowers to float his overhead (a LOW BALLING DEALER????).

Mike

beransfixitinc
05-07-2005, 10:55 PM
An INDY area shop with 3 locations recently went out of biz. Story I heard was he wasn't charging enough for his mowers to float his overhead (a LOW BALLING DEALER????).

Mike

The way you LCO guys think we should just give you the mowers at our cost or you ain't buying (I believe this is the Wal-Mart syndrome) doesn't make that story sound too far off.

new2thebiz
05-07-2005, 10:55 PM
If a customer asked you to trim up their shrubs for free because thy're paying you a lot of money to mow their lawn would you do it? Its the same concept.

dpullen4
05-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Should you expect a full tank of gas rather than not even being able to see any gas at all?

Cobra Jock
05-08-2005, 12:10 AM
I bought a ZTR today and inquired about purchasing the mulch kit. I asked if I bought it if they'd just slap it on there for me por nada. He was going to charge me $25. I could understand if I just showed up off the street, but I just spent a pretty good amount of money and can't hook me up with a free install.

If you paid nearly full price on the mower and the dealer also charged you full price for the discharge chute, then, yes, he should have installed it for free. If you got a great deal on the mower and he gave you something off on the mulch kit I would say that 25 for the install was fairly reasonable. Just my 2 cents

Greg

topsites
05-08-2005, 01:00 AM
He said it would only take 1/2 hour to install and their hourly rate is $52/hour. My point is that it's not like he was cutting me any kind of a deal. If I just showed up off the street with my mower, I'd say charge me a full hour. For someone that just shelled out $3,500, install the mulch kitas a way to go above and beyond to really satisfy a customer.

Well hell I just spent 3300 on a Walk-Behind, I would guess 3,500 for a ZTR just ain't all that much... ?

Fantasy Lawns
05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
If a customer asked you to trim up their shrubs for free because thy're paying you a lot of money to mow their lawn would you do it? Its the same concept.
We'll said

That's what I'm talking about

Texas Mowem
05-08-2005, 08:45 AM
For someone that just shelled out $3,500, install the mulch kitas a way to go above and beyond to really satisfy a customer.

$3500 for a Z ?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-08-2005, 08:51 AM
The dealer needs to make his money too for his employee's labor of installing the mulch kit. I suppose if they charged a delivery fee for the machine to your home you would also want it free? Most people would charge you the full $52, even if it took 15 minutes. So you did get a good deal.

Mike's Yard Services
05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
As a matter of fact...my customers occasionally ask for a small quick favor, I don't charge thenm and seems they always tell someone and I gain another happy customer, actually I have 1 happy new customer and one happier existing customer.

Jason Rose
05-08-2005, 11:49 AM
When I buy a new Ztr I always get a crass catcher kit with them too. it's something that has to be assembled and installed. Nuts, bolts, add a pully to the deck, and change the blades to high-lifts. Yeah it takes them time But somewhere in their mark-up on the prices for the mower and the catcher I'm going to bet they are covering thier butts for the labor to install the catcher. What costs you the consumer 25 bucks is only costing them maybe 6 to 8 bucks to pay that employee the half hours wages to do the install. Surely somewhere in the $300 to $500 in mark-up on the price of the machine from distributer to you they should be able to cover whatever it takes to make the machine be what you bought it to be.

Oh, and it better have a tank of fuel too. My old dealer would put a splash in it to get it from the shop and onto my trailer. my new dealer will fill it up to the top. (new dealership is also a service/gas station) So that may be the difference there.

Jpocket
05-08-2005, 07:00 PM
You bought a used mower dude why should they put it on for you.

grassmanvt
05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I guess I too would probably try to get it done free but wouldn't mind paying. If this story were about one of us dealing with a customer, we might be ticked that they didn't want to pay (depending on the situation). I say let it go.

HOOLIE
05-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Now, since I've gone into business for myself, and see things from an owner's perspective, I no longer expect to get things for free. Sometimes the dealer throws in a few freebies, and I always make sure to acknowlege that...but I never ask for something for free.

SeacoastDesignsL&L
05-08-2005, 08:26 PM
What zero turn runs $3500 I just shelled out almost 7 grand for mine!

beransfixitinc
05-08-2005, 10:36 PM
What zero turn runs $3500 I just shelled out almost 7 grand for mine!

Well, the Craftsman one is probably around there, and almost all of the Cub Cadet "commercial" grade ones at Tractor Supply.

JimLewis
05-09-2005, 12:43 AM
I would be a little ticked off too. I don't care what kind of company you have, but if a customer shells out $3,000 for anything, and asks for a $25 service for free, you should give it to him. If you don't, your competition certainly will! If I just installed a $3000 irrigation system for someone and they asked me for some minor $25 service (e.g. "Can you guys prune these 4 boxwoods before you leave?"), you can bet I'd give it to them, no problem. I expect the same from places where I drop 3 Grand on too!

If I were you, I would start shopping elsewhere.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
If it's hell, why would I want to go through the hassle for $25 to change 3 blades and add a deck plate? Odds are pretty good that they have more experience doing it than I do. :)

So why complain about the $25?

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 06:14 PM
The way you LCO guys think we should just give you the mowers at our cost or you ain't buying (I believe this is the Wal-Mart syndrome) doesn't make that story sound too far off.

No, it's called competitive pricing.
If you can't sell at a reasonable price and make a profit it's NOT the LCO's fault.............It's the dealer and they way they run their business.

I wonder how I can buy blades for 8 bucks a piece and have them shipped to my door without anyone having to spend time picking them up and the same blades from the dealer cost 12 bucks plus tax and need to be picked up?
This is a no brainer for me..........cheaper and more convenient.........maybe dealers should learn something here................

JimLewis
05-11-2005, 06:26 PM
It's not the $25. It's the principle. They should have just thrown it in for someone who is obviously a very profitable and return customer. For good customers whom you value, you need to sometimes give them a little extra to keep them around. They reward you with their loyalty, and you give them a small freebie once in a great while. In this case, a $25 freebie wasn't much to ask.

Heck, I've had jobs where a customer was spending $15,000 with us for an installation. They wanted a bid on lighting too - in addition to the other work we were doing for them. Now my policy is I don't give away stuff. I don't do freebies. And I don't negotiate on my prices. But the lighting was like $2500.00 more. They said if I'd do the lighting for $2000 instead, I'd get the entire job. Well, Daddy didn't raise no Dummy. I was already making sweet profit at $2500.00. I'm glad to knock off $500 on that one item for someone whose obvoiously throwing a lot of money my way. I may not make as much profit on the lighting job, but I definitely DID make a good profit on the other $15,000 and if that's what it takes to make him happy, then it's smart for me to go against my usual policies this one time.

Now you can't take this to the extreme. I don't let people walk all over me asking for all sorts of freebies. No way. But if I have a very good client who asks for a small break on something - you bet I am going to take care of them. If I don't -- my competition will.

It's the same with my suppliers. I buy over $40K per year in just pipe and irrigation supplies from Horizon. I could go to Ewing, United Pipe and Supply, Lesco, or John Deer Landscapes. Why do I continue to use Horizon? Because if I ask them for a small discount once in a great while - they hook me up. I don't take advantage of it. I don't ask for much. But when I do - they treat me right. And if they didn't, they know I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

I do all my business that way. If you go around and pay full asking price for every piece of equipment you buy and never ask dealers to help you out, fine. More power to you. But in my opinion, that's just stupid and a waste. You are throwing away money. I EXPECT to get a little bit of a break on stuff. And in return, my suppliers can expect me to drop some serious change with them each year.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 06:28 PM
It's not the $25. It's the principle. They should have just thrown it in for someone who is obviously a very profitable and return customer. For good customers whom you value, you need to sometimes give them a little extra to keep them around. They reward you with their loyalty, and you give them a small freebie once in a great while. In this case, a $25 freebie wasn't much to ask.

Heck, I've had jobs where a customer was spending $15,000 with us for an installation. They wanted a bid on lighting too - in addition to the other work we were doing for them. Now my policy is I don't give away stuff. I don't do freebies. And I don't negotiate on my prices. But the lighting was like $2500.00 more. They said if I'd do the lighting for $2000 instead, I'd get the entire job. Well, Daddy didn't raise no Dummy. I was already making sweet profit at $2500.00. I'm glad to knock off $500 on that one item for someone whose obvoiously throwing a lot of money my way. I may not make as much profit on the lighting job, but I definitely DID make a good profit on the other $15,000 and if that's what it takes to make him happy, then it's smart for me to go against my usual policies this one time.

Now you can't take this to the extreme. I don't let people walk all over me asking for all sorts of freebies. No way. But if I have a very good client who asks for a small break on something - you bet I am going to take care of them. If I don't -- my competition will.

It's the same with my suppliers. I buy over $40K per year in just pipe and irrigation supplies from Horizon. I could go to Ewing, United Pipe and Supply, Lesco, or John Deer Landscapes. Why do I continue to use Horizon? Because if I ask them for a small discount once in a great while - they hook me up. I don't take advantage of it. I don't ask for much. But when I do - they treat me right. And if they didn't, they know I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

I do all my business that way. If you go around and pay full asking price for every piece of equipment you buy and never ask dealers to help you out, fine. More power to you. But in my opinion, that's just stupid and a waste. You are throwing away money. I EXPECT to get a little bit of a break on stuff. And in return, my suppliers can expect me to drop some serious change with them each year.

I don't disagree Jim.............This is a homeowner not an LCO..............not much repeat business coming here.....................There is a difference.
This guy likes to complain................

JimLewis
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't disagree Jim.............This is a homeowner not an LCO..............not much repeat business coming here.....................There is a difference.
This guy likes to complain................

Oh.....ok. My bad. I didn't realize...... I thought this was an LCO. Then we are on the same page then. I agree more with you now.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh.....ok. My bad. I didn't realize...... I thought this was an LCO. Then we are on the same page then. I agree more with you now.

Naw, not bad,LOL!.........I've just read some other threads started by the same person................... :waving:

beransfixitinc
05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
This is a no brainer for me..........cheaper and more convenient.........maybe dealers should learn something here................

Like all the scrubs that you all complain about.. dealers have scrubs too.

Maybe the people that leave you for a "scrub" are happy with paying a less inflated price for something that gets the job done...

Seems the circle is complete.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Like all the scrubs that you all complain about.. dealers have scrubs too.

Maybe the people that leave you for a "scrub" are happy with paying a less inflated price for something that gets the job done...

Seems the circle is complete.

Nope, no completeness...........Quality work at a reasonable price.
It's a simple concept.