PDA

View Full Version : Grass not growing much for spring?

lasher66
05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I have been mowing for six years now and this is the first year that I have not had to deal with high grass in May. I live in NW Ohio and wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. I hope its not the beginning of an early drought. Every account I have is growing very slow and some are starting to get a little crispy from the sunny days we been having with not much rain. Usually by now I am double cutting, blowing lawns to hide clippings and I have not done that once yet.

Lasher

The mayor
05-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Same here in S.E. Wisconsin.

Wolfie's L&L
05-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Its probably because of the cold mornings we've been having around here. Usually the normal overnight low should be in the high 40s-mid 50s--but the low lately has been in the mid 30s. It is going to start getting back to normals soon, according to weather.com

Jason

Gatewayuser
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I wish it would rain I had to water the lawn today. But I'm kind of glad its not growing to fast because I'm very sick. Takes me twice as long to mow right now.

lawncare18
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
We need warmer air day and night temps to make it grow faster. I know here in the northeast we can use some mroe rain. Also think about your soil temps. Soil temps are also still cold. Give it time.. im sure in a few weeks you will be wishing it wasnt growing fast as your working 7 days a week till dark

GrassBustersLawn
05-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Yes, it has been slow growing here for last 2 weeks. We had several nights that got BELOW FREEZING. I think that helped put the brakes on growth. We are ABOVE NORMAL in RAIN, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Mike

Precision
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Same thing here in florida but here it has to do with no rain. Got some this week, so the easy cutting is over soon.

ToroLover
05-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Here in PA grass is growing slower than the normal fast rate like other spring seasons. It sure makes for easier cutting.

sildoc
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Send it my way. I would love to not mow 5-9" of growth a week. It has rained 5 out of 7 days here and I cant keep a normal schedule.

twwlawn
05-07-2005, 11:53 PM
We have had snow three weeks ago, then rain for three weeks and that woke up the grass. Been cutting off 4 - 6 inches of grass.

aclassic
05-08-2005, 12:35 AM
same here in western michigan,
i've mowed about 4-5 weeks so far and i have one property that i think i have yet to cut a single blade of grass due to how dry it is

rodfather
05-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Same here in NJ which is just fine with me...screw that double cutting.

JOEWOOD
05-08-2005, 08:10 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/IGS/IGS103/004_051.jpg

I have been feeling the same, but I now realize it's just the anticipation of getting started.

Joe :sleeping:

Jason Rose
05-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Same here even in Kansas. Freezes and frosts have slowed everything way down and now it's really getting dry here. Not drought dry, but just enough to stress the grass. The poor schmucks that have bermuda in their lawns look like they are going to be another month yet before they can mow, It really looks awful for this time of year. Temps are back up again, in the 80's. If it rains the grass will take off and it will be he!! again to keep up with the 4 to 8 inches of growth. yuck.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-08-2005, 08:56 AM
The late night cold temps have had an impact as well as the lack of rain. Looks like that may change this week. Rain and warmer night temps. Some of my customers who fert, they are growing probably 3-4" per week. Others, 1-2". That will soon change, I am noticing lawns getting much greener so we should be up to 5-7" real soon here. Compared to last year at this time, this is a god send.

lasher66
05-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I dont mind the slow growth, I just dont want it to evolve into an early drought to were we never even see the high growth and then there will be nothing to cut.

Lasher

PYMLscape
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Here in Southeast Wisconsin the grass greened up fast but has not grown much.
Its been very dry. It was very cold last week temps in the low 40s.
It did rain on friday .60in that was great, there hasn't been that great fresh smell of cut grass either.

jpp
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Here in Columbus it is starting to take off. I just started my spring schedule of every 4-7 days. I have a thread in the green industry forum. We are 7 inches above mormal on rainfall here.

JP

Charles Odell
05-08-2005, 09:25 PM
3 inches below normal cool temps really dry.

lampeslawnservice
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah its been pretty dry here too. Wet winter but not in the form of snow. 3 days in a row with temps below 32 last week. Rains in this weeks forecast but it doesn't look like enough.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Bermuda still hasn't started growing here.

From yesterday's e-mail:

I need to cancel my lawn service right now. I totally understand your need to have a weekly commitment, but we have really only needed it mowed about twice since we started but I knew we needed to honor at least 6 mowings. I realize that soon it will need it every week, but sometimes during the heat of the summer, it slows down also. So please cancel our service for now. You guy does a great job, and we may be calling again if I can't find anyone else

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

sildoc
05-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Bermuda still hasn't started growing here.

From yesterday's e-mail:

I need to cancel my lawn service right now. I totally understand your need to have a weekly commitment, but we have really only needed it mowed about twice since we started but I knew we needed to honor at least 6 mowings. I realize that soon it will need it every week, but sometimes during the heat of the summer, it slows down also. So please cancel our service for now. You guy does a great job, and we may be calling again if I can't find anyone else

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

What the hell is the part about if they cant find any one else???? Educate them on if they do call you it is 1000000000000 dollars.