PDA

View Full Version : Kohler, Briggs, Kubota, Kaw

newblade
05-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know the differences in torque on these motors say from 20 - 27 hp? I hear torque is also very important and people say that these motors do not produce the same amount. :help:

TClawn
05-08-2005, 12:13 AM
go to the manufacterers sites and look at the specs for each of the engines that you are condsidering.

topsites
05-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know the differences in torque on these motors say from 20 - 27 hp? I hear torque is also very important and people say that these motors do not produce the same amount. :help:

Well, I've ran both Kohler and Briggs on my machines. Today, I run Kohler only. What I learned is a whatever-hp Kohler is more powerful than the same hp Briggs. So a 13-14 hp Kohler has about as much ooomph as a 15-16hp Briggs. Of course, the Briggs is also cheaper.
Kinda like, when ya run the Kohler at full throttle, it goes:
KoooOOooOoOoohler
While the B & S goes:
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiggggggs
I figure the Kawasaki is even better than the Kohler, but the price of the Kawasaki is just outrageous and all Toros come with the Kohler as standard and the Kohler is one fine engine.

The Kohler has more compression and revvs higher while it runs a lot smoother than the Briggs. Again, I am sure the Kawasaki is even better than the Kohler but I've never ran a Kawa.
Far as the Kubota, I know nothing about it other than I think it's Ford's ag. division, and if that is true, then the Kohler and the Kawa likely outpower the Kubota.

grasshopperslc
05-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Well I'm not sure of the torque ratings on those particular engines? :confused: But I do know that Kawasaki makes some awesome engines.I'v got a 23hp Kaw on my Ferris hydro-walk 52" walk-behind and it cuts!!!!As far as Kohler I'v used a 15hp on my old 32" mower and it never failed me.But my favorite is diesel I know on most diesels that the torque rises under load.Since most diesels make there peak torque around 2800-3000 rpms and when you run a mower the rpms are around 3600.So as the rpms drop under load the torque goes up. :blob4:

TLS
05-08-2005, 07:56 AM
But my favorite is diesel I know on most diesels that the torque rises under load.Since most diesels make there peak torque around 2800-3000 rpms and when you run a mower the rpms are around 3600.So as the rpms drop under load the torque goes up. :blob4:

This is my biggest beef with engine manufacturers.

Most mowers come from the factory at 3750 +/- rpm. In order to get a great cut, thats the rpm that we need to maintain. If it drops a hair below 3600, I instantly notice a decline in cut quality.

Why then do the manufacturers make the peak torque curve so darn low in the rpm band? It would be great to have them make it peak at 3500 rpm, so when the going gets tough, your not dropping rpms, thus slowing down.

We need Acura to design some of our engines with real high torque ranges, not down low where they're useless to us lawn mower guys.

turfmann
05-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Since Acura is owned by Honda...

Briggs & Stratton - good paperweights

Kohler - good engines, but not like they used to be. Used to be able to run them so slow that you could see the individual holes on the debris screen on the flywheel. Very smooth, very reliable. The newer ones do not like cold or moisture.

Kubota - bulletproof

Honda - bulletproof

Kawasaki - missleproof, do these things ever die?

Did you check out the thread about the diesel powered Ferris? If what that guy says is accurate I think you could cut a hayfield and not notice a load on the engine.

TLS
05-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Briggs & Stratton - good paperweights

Thats a pretty broad statement. All engines make excellent paperweights.

B&S makes some very nice commercial engines in their Vanguard line.

Personally, I wouldn't be bashing them.

Distorted
05-08-2005, 12:29 PM
By turfmann -
...Kawasaki - missleproof, do these things ever die?...

Yes, if you kill them, as my guy did when he failed to fully insert the oil dip stick. The 21hp Kawi blew out the oil through the unclosed dip stick tube on my Exmark 48" ZTR without noticing and the engine seized. :cry: For some reason Exmark and Kawasaki refused to replace the thing ($2000+ - payup), saying their design was not the problem, it was my stupidity. :help:

specialtylc
05-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Yes, if you kill them, as my guy did when he failed to fully insert the oil dip stick. The 21hp Kawi blew out the oil through the unclosed dip stick tube on my Exmark 48" ZTR without noticing and the engine seized. :cry: For some reason Exmark and Kawasaki refused to replace the thing ($2000+ - payup), saying their design was not the problem, it was my stupidity. :help:
I have had three Kohler and Three Kawasaki engines. The Kohlers have been by far the most reliable and trouble free. And the Kubota diesel is the best yet. The 21 hp diesel has more power than a 25hp Kohler gas.

Tider6972
05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Eric Elm (rest his soul) had a poll a couple years ago re: which engines had over 2 thousand hours. Kohler won going away, with some exceeding 3 thousand hours.