PDA

View Full Version : the lady returns

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
There is a customer that I've had for over 3 years. I did some mowing, trimmed hedges and bushes, installed borders, mulch, sod, and maintained her gardens. She was worth $5000.00 to me just last year. Always paid on time, tipped and generally never complained. Well, till last October. I did a leaf cleanup for her, at her request. I left the bill. Later that evening I get a call from her and she was irate about the amount of the bill. :confused: I told her that this was the price we agreed on. She said, "Let me think about it. I don't think I'm going to pay it." and hung up. :confused: (again).
I'm sitting there trying to figure out what in the heck just happened. A couple of minutes later she calls back and apologizes for the last conversation and stated she would be glad to pay the bill. I received a check in the mail and it had a $30.00 tip attached and a note, again apologizing. My thought was, mystery problem solved. And I was paid with a tip.
When I sent out my flyers and my renewal letters, of course I included her. Today I get a call from her and she sounded very sheepish. She asked if I had forgiven her for her behaviour. To tell the truth, I barely remember the incident. She said she had lots of work for me but was afraid to call me till she got my flyer. She explained that the doctor had her on some pretty strong painkillers and that she wasn't herself that day. I just let her go on and decided I'd take her back.
I don't know. Maybe we judge people as PITA to easily.

HighGrass
05-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Ahhh go for it! :cool:

Sir mowsalot
05-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I have a customer that has acted the same way. Always pays on time, very freindly, and a joy to talk to. Last year he did an about face, and was complaining of one thing after another, and an all around prick. Of course his complaints were unfounded, and i couldnt figure out what was going on. Turns out he is on medication for lymes disease and it affects his personality. He told me how sorry he was for acting that way. As hard as it might be, you cant take it personally.

olderthandirt
05-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Turns out he is on medication for lymes disease and it affects his personality

I don't take it personally, I just don't take it. Im not there shrink or Dr. Life to short and the world has to much money to take verbal abuse from a pita , even a temporary one

Mark McC
05-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Sometimes I'm pretty forgiving if a customer has been easy to deal with overall. On the other hand, if I'm talking to a prospective customer and my bullsh*t alert system starts screaming, I will add a fudge factor to my estimate. Most of the time in the past, when someone has acted like a PITA during the first contact, they stay that way forever more.

I try not to be short with established customers when they go off on me unless it looks like a pattern. In that case, I head for the woods. I'm not perfect and have acted like a moron, so I'm in no position to judge, but routine abuse is just not my style as the giver or the receiver.