PDA

View Full Version : fence

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-07-2005, 11:26 PM
A bit off topic
I have a client with a 4 ft chain link fence. She is mad at her neighbor because she is convinced that when he mows, he shoots his grass through the fence. She wants me to put some kind of barrier on the bottom 1 ft of the fence to stop this. And she wants it to look good. Does anybody know if an item like this can be purchased or will I have to fabricate something for this? And no, a wood privacy fence is out of the question because she says it would interfere with the air flow through her yard. ;)

SproulsLawnCare
05-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Several years ago, my Father owned a restaurant and it had a chain link fence around the outside seating area. To provide somewhat of a barrier ( enclosed feeling) we installed some plastic oval shaped tubes that were made for this purpose. This worked great to simulate a wall between the customers and the highway just several feet away! They come in several different colors and are simple to slide down inside the weave of the fence. The only down side that I would see, is that you would have too cut them short and the hollow opening at the end would show. Sorry that I can't begin to remember where they came from, but I imagine any retailer that sells fencing would be able to get them.

PLM-1
05-08-2005, 12:00 AM
What about those little flat pieces of plastic that you put in chainlink for privacy. I think they are usually green but they may come in white as well. Just cut them to length.

PLM-1
05-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Here it is in "redwood" http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=36123-82070-WW25158&lpage=none

Littleriver1
05-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Why not just go to talk to the neighbor. May be he doesn't understand and would be willing to adjust. Leave the shovel in the truck. If he does help with the problem she will save some money and you look like the good guy. If he will not help then go with plan B.

Runner
05-08-2005, 05:57 PM
What the heck difference does it make if he shoots a little grass through the fence? It is heavy amounts to where it is clumps that is killing her grass? Does she have beds there that are getting grass in them? The reason I ask, is the way you stated it...that she "swears" that is happening. Almost as if there is no evidence of it. Oh,..I don't doubt it a bit that he is shooting grass over, but as I say, what is the big deal? If there IS no harm or damage being done, the best thing would be to do is tell THIS lady to get a life. Other than that, I don't much of anything that you could put up that would only be a foot or two off the ground, that would actually look good.

mbricker
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Maybe if the customer has seen clumps of dried grass, you are lucky she has blamed the neighbor instead of you. What have you seen on her lawn?

sheshovel
05-08-2005, 06:26 PM
You can buy that shadecloth stuff in green or brown by the foot.wire it onto the bottom of the fence and problem solved!It lasts forever and looks fine ,as far as that goes.

bdoutdoors
05-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Tell her to replace the chain link with a shadow box wood fence. This will stop the grass and still have plenty of air flow.

SproulsLawnCare
05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Maybe, if possible, just make the first couple passes by the fence with the chute in the opposite direction from the fence??

Pecker
05-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I say let the neighbors work out their own problems. She should call a fence company.