PDA

View Full Version : Problems loading outfront mower,HELP!

mikekl
05-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a gravely outfront mower with 72" deck that lifts up hydraulically,but not that high,anyway,I got new dual 20" ramps, 5ft. long put on my 6.5X16 tandem trailer,The trailer doesnt look any higher than any others,but I lifted the deck on the mower and tried to drive up and it couldnt even get the front drive tires on the ramp,just started spinning,it was driving the deck casters into the ramp,I tried backing up,that worked a little better until the rear tires started lifting into the air! These ramps are 1/4" steel with steel mesh,so they are already heavy,I fear adding some sort of adjustable extenda-ramps to the ends of the main ramps may get too heavy and time-consuming every day.I did a search and the consensus seems to be flip the drawbar on the hitch.I have a 2" drop hitch,so that would probably work,but the 1500 lb. gravely will be sitting on the front of the trailer,would that be too much stress on the hitch?Im seriously going to look at drop axles this week!thanks for any suggestions,Mike K.

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Easy solution. With the trailer still hooked to the truck, just put a block of wood under the trailer jack on the front of the trailer. Then, crank the jack down. As the front of the trailer rises, the back will go down, thus making your ramp angle lower. I do this all the time on various trailers with short ramps and it works like a charm. Just remember to lower the front of the trailer before you try to drive away.
Depending on the length and axle spacing of your trailer, it only takes a little lift at the front to greatly reduce tha angle at the back.

Shawns Lawns
05-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Easy solution. With the trailer still hooked to the truck, just put a block of wood under the trailer jack on the front of the trailer. Then, crank the jack down. As the front of the trailer rises, the back will go down, thus making your ramp angle lower. I do this all the time on various trailers with short ramps and it works like a charm. Just remember to lower the front of the trailer before you try to drive away.
Depending on the length and axle spacing of your trailer, it only takes a little lift at the front to greatly reduce tha angle at the back.

Great idea i will try it the next time i need to. :waving:

ed2hess
05-08-2005, 02:40 PM
The jack idea works but is easy to forget, we use 2x8 under the ramps to do about the same thing. Usually we need the boards to jump curbs so we keep them in the trailer.

South Florida Lawns
05-08-2005, 03:42 PM
If there is no major hang up to the deck/scalp wheels get an a small winch and mount it to the front of the trailer they are slow and strong just get some D shackles and attach to a sturdy part of the mower.

mikekl
05-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I tried the block of wood under the jack and it works great,Just gotta remember to set it straight when I leave.Thanks to all.---Mike

Mickhippy
05-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Just a though but.....

At the end of the ramp, could you make up some sort of hinge (a couple of bolts would do) so you could add some more ramp to it. Where its hinged, make some sort of legs or a stand to raise it off the ground as high as you like. I see alot of Bobcat trucks and or trailers around here that use a simular set up. Some have the hinge half way up the ramp and real long "legs". Makes the ramps bent instead of straight. Like a banana! hehe

Just be a very easy thing to do. When you have the ramps up, the hinged part will just flop down and make the ramp as long as it was originally so no extra height while driving!

oldturf
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Do you need the 2" drop hitch. If not try a straight one and it will help some, maybe enough. I would borrow one and see.