PDA

View Full Version : Comercial mowers???

grasshopperslc
05-08-2005, 07:54 AM
What are the most industrial mower company's out their??I think that Ferris,Exmark and Scag are the top industrial mower company's.And I'm not in any way shape or form saying that the other mower company's aren't good ;) .I'm saying that these are the industrial giants. :D

So which company's do you think are top?? :rolleyes:

Travis Followell
05-08-2005, 08:36 AM
You could definately ad Hustler to that list.

Ron's Lawncare
05-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Walker, kabota,toro and grasshoper are up there too.go to your local golf course you are more likely to find toro equipment there.

Ron

MagnumXL
05-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Ever heard of John Deere? They are huge around here and most of the country. The own Great Dane as well.

Shawns Lawns
05-08-2005, 08:43 AM
this is my first year with my new G-hopper and i love it. try them out. :waving:

rodfather
05-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Just about every manufacturer has a presence in the industrial market...some just more than others is all.

TFSTech66
05-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I like Exmark. It`s been a very good producer of mowing equipment. Also, you might want to give Gravely a try.

topsites
05-08-2005, 10:28 AM
All those mowers are pieces of crap, the only mower worth getting is a Toro.
With the 48" proline 15hp Kohler WB, I cut 10 yards/day by myself and have time left to play around. The unique T-bar steering reduces operator fatigue and with a Velkie, you don't have to walk (besides, you can't keep up at 6.2 mph in 5th gear). The only reason everybody always gets one of those other machines is because they are cheap and think they can't afford a Toro ... That, and you have to pay the money and wait for a Toro (yes, even for a brand-new one, you have to wait like a week or 2 before you get your machine). But it's worth it, otherwise why do you think it's like that???

Another way to look at it is try and buy a used one: You'll see plenty of those other machines but you'll be hard pressed to find even ONE toro, and when you do find it, it will be a high price OR it's sold the very minute it went on sale.
Yeah, I mean, if all those other mowers are so good, then why is everybody selling them, and why does everybody descend on a Toro like the vultures?

Besides, what's so bad about $2,800 for a fixed deck... The fixed deck is $1000 cheaper, if money is an issue, the fixed deck turns out beautiful lawns time after time, cheaper and faster. All you gotta do is learn to use a real mower, that fixdeck is one capricious machine LOL.

mkwl
05-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Bob-Cat and Toro Proline mowers are definitely on top of that list!

beaver
05-08-2005, 11:25 AM
topsites what gives you the right to say your mower is far superior to every other mower out there? Have you proven that your toro is better?

ALarsh
05-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Have you ever noticed most large lco's have scags on their trailers?

I love my toro though.

Tvov
05-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I think it depends greatly on your area. Around me, Toros used to be seen, I haven't seen a commercial Toro in years, new or used. Exmark is all over the place, Scag also, and Ferris is just starting to show up the last few years and now is becoming big. We have a John Deere dealership in the next town, but NO ONE has JD mowers. I think that is mostly because the dealer is an absolute Jerk!

I saw a couple Super Surfers years ago, but haven't seen any lately. Walkers I seen on the rare occasion. A Dixie Chopper dealer opened in town a couple years ago, but not that many guys have them.

It just depends on what Dealers are in your area!

ALarsh
05-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Brickman's scags...

jt5019
05-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow!! looks like they got a couple mowers :rolleyes:

Lawnaholic
05-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I have give or take 40 residential accounts(hope to get 40 more by next lawn season) and I use the Model 22040 Two Stroke 21" Commercial Toro Proline Mowers(I have three of 'em and rotate 'em). These things are awesome when it comes to lawncare. Makes my job "way" easy and cuts to perfection. My friend's been in the lawn business for 17+ years and he also uses these mowers. I look at other LCO's equipment when driving by them and I would have to say that 80% of them also use Proline's. Too bad EPA got involved and stopped production of these. Toro all the way!!!

jhawk71
05-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Lets not forget Wright mowers. The standers are extremely popular in my area. I have a 48" and couldn't be happier!!
Jhawk71

Lawnaholic
05-08-2005, 01:22 PM
jhawk71, I see that you have the 36" Proline also. Did you get that after or before your Wright mower? I guess what I'm asking is, giving a second chance to repurchase, would you go with a Wright 48" and 36" or would you go with a Proline(what is it 44" or 52") and 36"? Reason I'm asking is I'm in the market for a bigger sized WB and I know there are many great mowers out there but I don't know which one I will go with since I won't get the chance to try out each of the ones I have in mind???

jhawk71
05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Lawnaholic
I actually bought the toro yesterday used from another member here on lawnsite. I have only mowed one yard with it but so far I am extremely pleased. I would buy the stander because the mower is perfect for the yards I have and is a lot more productive than a walk behind and more maneuverable. I started out with a 36" scag and then sold it to get the wright stander cause I couldn't afford both. But I now have a need for a 36" so I bought one.

So to answer to your question I would buy the stander and 36" walk behind, instead of 2 walk behinds.

Jhawk71

jgtxusa
05-08-2005, 08:53 PM
All of the major brands have worked good for me when I was the one on them. I have been on the mowers maybe twice this year for a short time, and Scags hold up better for my guys than the others have. There may be other mowers better in some cases, but I will not change when something is working.

WoodBrothersLC
05-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Wright Standers are probably the most prominent mowers used in our area right now along with Exmark. The Stander will go just about anywhere a walk behind will in half the time. Our Stander definately increased out productivity!

WoodBrothersLC
05-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Lawnaholic, I agree with JHawk. A 52" or 48" Stander is the way to go for your main mower, and have a 36" walk behind as the other mower. The 52" isn't much more than the 48". If you have a lot of large yards you will be glad you have a Stander for the front and a walk behind for the back. The 36" will also get any slopes or obstacles your Stander doesn't get. Just something to think about. PM me if you have any Stander questions. Good luck!

specialtylc
05-08-2005, 09:25 PM
With the 48" proline 15hp Kohler WB, I cut 10 yards/day by myself and have time left to play around. The unique T-bar steering reduces operator fatigue and with a Velkie, you don't have to walk (besides, you can't keep up at 6.2 mph in 5th gear). The only reason everybody always gets one of those other machines is because they are cheap and think they can't afford a Toro ... That, and you have to pay the money and wait for a Toro (yes, even for a brand-new one, you have to wait like a week or 2 before you get your machine). But it's worth it, otherwise why do you think it's like that???

Another way to look at it is try and buy a used one: You'll see plenty of those other machines but you'll be hard pressed to find even ONE toro, and when you do find it, it will be a high price OR it's sold the very minute it went on sale.
Yeah, I mean, if all those other mowers are so good, then why is everybody selling them, and why does everybody descend on a Toro like the vultures?

Besides, what's so bad about $2,800 for a fixed deck... The fixed deck is $1000 cheaper, if money is an issue, the fixed deck turns out beautiful lawns time after time, cheaper and faster. All you gotta do is learn to use a real mower, that fixdeck is one capricious machine LOL.
Well you convinced me. Im going to sell everything tomorrow and buy just one Toro. :rolleyes:

Charles Odell
05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I run 3 John Deere 797s 6ft decks Great machines for
HEAVY duty cutting

jpmako
05-09-2005, 09:21 AM
I run 3 John Deere 797s 6ft decks Great machines for
HEAVY duty cutting

That's what I'm talking about. John Deere's are the best commercial mowers I have used Period. But some people say they are crap so I am gonna trade mine in for a toro. :p

Jason

beaver
05-09-2005, 04:23 PM
yes topsites i agree with you 100% tommorow i will trade my 2 scag 48 hydros for one toro 36 because they are far superior to anything ever made. The only reason i bought the scags is because they are cheap and i could not afford a toro. you are a genius thank you topsites for your well thought out comments.

Lawncareguy
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Here we go again.

Originally Posted by topsites

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess I am with the other guys and will sell all of my equipment and buy Toro...NOT!
The Toro cuts good but I have my own preference. If Topsites likes the Toro walkbehinds so much maybe he will go to Ebay and buy all the used ones listed. The Toro Prolines cut great on flat ground, get on a side hill and the steering is not as stable as it needs to be. I have a Proline 36" for backup now but no longer use it as primary WB. Bought it 2 yrs ago for $150.00 for backup.

I prefer hydro/belt drive pistol grip for hilly areas.

Oh, yea. Call my Toro dealer if you need a WB. He has 5-6 on the floor year around. Exmark, Scag, Gravely around here.

Sorry Topsite. You loose.

lawn_pro
05-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Did you say the fixdeck is one crapricious machine?

glllc
05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
SCAG is the BEST.

yard sloth
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Amen Brother Topsites! well said. :cool2:

green acres lawns
05-09-2005, 10:52 PM
As a mechanic, I think my scags are the best built. As an operator I like my exmark for it's Quick handling and great cut. At least toro picked a good mower to copy.

Ron's Lawncare
06-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Brickman's scags...

why are they all behind the x-mark....must all be broken... :D