PDA

View Full Version : Aerate only

aclassic
05-08-2005, 09:15 AM
does anyone on here do aerate only type of service?
if so, let me know...i'd like to talk to you about how your business runs.
any GOOD literature out there on aeration and the aeration business?

aclassic
05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
nobody have any ideas, suggestions

ChadA
05-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Do a google search. Theres tons of good stuff about aeration. Now aeration as a business by it's self. I'm sure it could be done but with most soils only needing to be aerated twice a year you would have to have hundreds of customers. But it could be done with the right marketing and price.

Gators_Aerator
05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
A Classic,

That is what I am doing right now. However I am only two yrs out and still working out the business side. I should be up and running smoothly by the fall season.

I had a thread called "would you hire me" I got some mixed opinions but over all good results.

aclassic
05-10-2005, 03:21 AM
oh yeah,
i remember reading that,
how many acounts do you service? what type of equipment?
i'd like to talk to you more about how to go about expanding into this.
any help would be good,
thanks

Gators_Aerator
05-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I have only been aerating for two years. My customer base is growing, but that is only within friends neighborhoods and door hanging. I am closing in on 50- 75 regular customers. I really have not put much effort into getting clients.

I am planning on getting my business named and advertise more locally. Hit more neighborhoods with door hangers. My return has been 1-2% on door hanging. I would also like to subcontract with local lawn services as you have seen from my other thread.

The equipment I currently use is a Bluebird 424 and the 524 model. I agree with another thread about the workout given with these machines and I am currently looking into the Turfco Turnaer for a new purchase for this fall.

As for literature - I created my own. Research the benefits, know how grass works, what is best for it and you will begin to know what aeration can do.

The thing to consider is are you willing to work really hard in the spring and fall only. Aeration is seasonal. Then your investment and time may be wasted doing aeration only. My situation is different.

aclassic
05-11-2005, 09:19 PM
gator,
i wish i could PM you so were not communicating through this thread, but...oh well.
one reason i want to get into aeration is due to the fact that it has a very short season. i am going to be a firefighter and i want my summers fairly open (not mowing grass) because my future wife is going to be a teacher. so i'm fine w/ working my ass off for a few months out of the year to make some good cash. but at this point in time i'm still a student and so i have to do aeration and lawn stuff. but i'd definately like to be aeration only and maybe pay some colllege kid to take care of my lawn stuff.
but last fall i aerated w/ a bluebird 424 and vowed to never walk behind one of those again...i'm a hard worker, but i wont be worked to death. so this year my grandpa gave me his lawn tractor so i'll be getting a towable aerator to use. next year, depending on how good this year is, i'll be buying a Plugr PL600H.
when do you do your advertising? how much to you send out? whats your goal for how many clients you need? do you have repeats each year & spring & fall?

Gators_Aerator
05-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Sorry about the not being able to PM.

You are in the same boat as me. Not much time for a full blown business in lawn care. I too understand the 424. That is why I am looking into a bigger machine.

I have many repeat customers. I usually set them up for the next appointment when I finish the current one. Then I can set my schedule better.

My current advertising is door hangers and word of mouth. I have given deep discounts to people I work with and then I walk the neighborhood they live in with doorhangers. If I get enough business, I give a free aeration to my work mates. I am out there already, so why not.
Many people just stop by and ask what I charge. I get there address and phone number, give them a flyer and stop before I leave the neighborhood.

I door hang the area early in the week, setting appointments for the next weekend. So far this has worked for me, but this fall I am going to ramp things up. Post cards to clients as reminders, contact area LCO for subcontracting and get a professional look to everything.

What I need in clients is still up in the air? Right now it is extra money. I paid off my 424 in one weekend. So the new machines will be new and cost more, so my overhead will be more, which means more lawns needed.

I am also working with tax advisor to help me make the right moves as I grow larger in size. Once again making the move to professional business.

aclassic
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
hey brent,
thanks for giving me a ring,
i'd like to talk soon, but right now i'm a student at 2 colleges, so i have finals this week and then again in a couple more weeks, so needless to say...i'm a bit busy.
hopefully i can get back to you in a week or two...maybe sooner if i need a study break, talking business is much better than thinking about Political Science.