PDA

View Full Version : gravely 152z Spindles

copotay
05-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a Gravely 152z that just turned a year old with now 60 hours, My left side spindle began making a loud noise, screeching like the bearings were rubbing bear metal which they were, with 30 hours on the machine. I brought it in and they had to change the spindle, however im starting to hear what sounds like that screeching noise again, not as loud yet, from the same spindle they changed. The dealer had initially suggested that moisture can condensate inside the spindle and create rust on the bearing which obviously aint good for the bearings and will eventually wear out the bearing or spindle housing. The dealer said that if you cut wet grass or wash the bottom of the deck off after use, you need to run the blades for at least 5 minutes to eliminate the moisture inside the spindle. well i have been doing that but again it sounds like the bearings in the spindle are messing up again, i dont know the anwser anymore, you would think you pay $7000.00 for a commercial machine not to have problems like this. I had an old Scotts that had grease zerks on the spindle and never had to change a spindle once in 8 years, they need to get away from this dang sealed bearing and put some grease zerks on those spindles.

i had spoken to a commercial grass cutter who said you can change out the bearings in the spindle after removing the blade and undoing the bottom of the spindle, the bearings are stacked inside the housing, and he just replaces his bearings when they start giving him a problem, its just that no one should have to go through all that with the small amount of hours i have on this commerical machine.

I was wondering if anyone else had problems with maintenance free spindles and what they may have done to correct the problem? Also if someone has changed the bearings in a maintenance free spindle can they give me a detailed explanation how to disassemble the spindle and replace the bearings?

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 02:03 PM
First off, if you paid $7000.00 for a 152, then you got taken to the cleaners.
Second, I would not be too worried yet, as you have another whole year on the warranty. Get it replaced again under warranty, and see what happens. It is really odd that you would get two bad spindle assemblies in a row, but it could happen. You might also check your belt tension. If for some reason it is way too tight, it could cause bearings to fail in a spindle.
We have sold a lot of 100 and 200 series Gravelys over the past 2 years, and have only seen one spindle fail. That one was bad from the factory, and only lasted about 2 hrs.
Are you mowing in standing water? That can cause moisture to get into the housing and quickly ruin bearings.

copotay
05-08-2005, 04:54 PM
No i dont cut in standing water but im in Lafayette, La and if your from Texas then you know how we constantly have to cut grass when its wet just to keep up with the way it grows and everday showers in the summer in louisiana. Im also not the only customer in the area with the same problem, maybe the mowers were not made to cut grass in high moisture areas.

And it was $6499.00 and $7000 with the tax, but of course i still may have paid too much, but thats our local dealer, Southland Engine co who claimed they could not sell it for cheaper after several negotiations with them. How much do yall sell them for so I can suggest yall to other people? Do yall tell your customers to run the blades, without cutting anything, for five minutes if you cut wet grass or wash off the bottom of the mower after it has cooled down, because Southland Engine tells that to all of their customers?

I will follow through with the warranty and am just getting ready for when its out of warranty so I can figure out how not have to buy spindles or change bearings every year. Southland Engine co had also checked the belt tension which they said was fine.

thanks for your information

Restrorob
05-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I work for a use to be Gravley dealer,It took me 8 years to talk him out of selling them. I got flat out tired of rebuilding their spindles,By the sound of this thread they STILL don't have a spindle worth a crap. I havn't seen one of these newest style sealed units but I think I'd figure out a way to drill the housing insert a grease fitting and pop the two inner bearing seals out.

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Here are our prices on the various 152Z models. Price is the same wheather you chose the 23hp Kawasaki, or the 25hp Kohler
152M, manual lift $5713.00
152H, hydraulic lift $6151.00
152HQ, hyd. lift and IQ $6370.00

Like I said, I just have seen no spindle problems on any machines we have sold. Send me your machine model number, (the 6 digit number that starts with a "9"), and your serial number. I will search the Gravely service bulletins and see if I can find anything that might help you out. you have the same spindles that are used on the big diesel Gravelys, so they are built pretty tough.
You can post the info here, or send me a PM.

copotay
05-08-2005, 08:34 PM
thanks its a grq992044

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
That makes it a manual lift with the 23 kawasaki engine. I will see if I can find any service bulletins on it and let you know.

copotay
05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
just to let you know it is a hydraulic lift for the deck

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry, I read across the line wrong when I looked it up in the book.

Mowingman
05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I checked for any service notices on that machine and those spindles, and I do not see anything listed. Don't know what to tell you, except get it replaced again, and see what happens. Make sure to keep a good record of all this so you and your dealer can get with the factory, even after the 2 year warranty is up, if the problems continue.

copotay
05-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Thank You very much for your help, and well see what happens after they replace this one.