PDA

View Full Version : Sharping Blades

postman
05-08-2005, 02:03 PM
do you have to spend alot of money on a blade grinder to sharpen blades correctly or can you use a regular bench grinder to do the same job.thanks for your help :waving:

dcplace2004
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I use a simple 6 dollar file and do a perfect job sharpening my blades...you don't need to be able to shave with the blade, as they don't even come like that from the factory...

ed2hess
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Simply get a hand held 90 degree grinder, can't use bench grinders on most blades any way. The blade may not be perfect but it is good enough.

rodfather
05-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I sharpen up to as many as 60 blades a week with a 1 HP bench grinder...been doing it for 11 years now too.

Tharrell
05-08-2005, 06:20 PM
The shop I used to work at uses a bench grinder and one of the guys uses an angle grinder. I haven't had any problems in 3 years with them.

Cut-Rite2
05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I bought a $29.00 bench grinder from Lowe's. This is not your typical bench grinder though....it is especially designed for sharpening knives and lawn mower blades. The grinding wheel is about 1.25 or 1.5 inches wide, about 8 or 9 inches tall and has a water basin at the bottom to keep the wheel wet. The wheel rotates much slower than a regular bench grinder, and with the water basin filled, you don't have to worry about burning the metal. It has a guide on the front to rest the blade on for different grinding angles and to help keep the blade at or near parallel to the horizontal plane of the wheel. It puts a great cutting edge on the mower blades and definitely was worth the $29 in my opinion. It also will put a real good edge on those flat-tipped screw drivers and old Ginsu knives you might have in the bottom drawer of the kitchen cabinet. :D

Doc Pete
05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
do you have to spend alot of money on a blade grinder to sharpen blades correctly or can you use a regular bench grinder to do the same job.thanks for your help :waving:

To answer the question "you ask", a regular bench grinder will sharpen a standard blade just as fast and as well as a $400/$600 dedicated machine.
Anything else is up to you..........

SeacoastDesignsL&L
05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Cut-Rite2
How long ago did you purchase the grinder, if lowes still has them I def will go pick one up and give it a try. Anything that will save the $40 a week I spend on having the blades sharpened at a shop is worth a try.

siclmn
05-08-2005, 09:35 PM
If the wheel is wet it must be slinging water when you use it. Do you wear a raincoat and boots? For $29 it must be a tiny motor with no power. When you press the blade too hard against the wheel it probably will stop. Please post a picture and model number.

Itsgottobegreen
05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
I got a neary 410 grinder. Trust me there is a difference. Its much faster. I did the bence grinder too long. I burned up two of them.

TURF DOCTOR
05-08-2005, 10:31 PM
I do not intend to be a wise guy,i have used angle grinders they will sharpen but will leave the wrong pitch.If you cut a lot of grass we do buy a good blade machine,we have a lesco neary, a magna-matic,also a baldor 10 inch wheel 1 hp grinder it will work but the pitch is all different.We took the baldor down to the local machine shop and he made us blade rest similiar to what we were used to.fast total time every morning taking the blades off and sharping less than 2 min the cut is great.

Steppenwolf
05-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I do the same as Rodfather,a bench grinder,about 45 blades per week. Maybe a minute per blade. It is quick and easy with no burning.

BobR
05-09-2005, 07:54 AM
In this area of blade sharpening the age old adage holds true "You Get What You Pay For" from a 49¢ file to a $1000 dedicated grinder. How valuable is Your Time? How true is your edge? I would rather be sipping a cool one by the pool, so I spent the $$$.

BobR

PaulJ
05-10-2005, 03:05 AM
It depends on how many blades you have to sharpen.
I have used the lesco grinder and it is nice and takes the guess work out of the angle but now I use an angle grinder and a vise. I take great care to keep the angle correct and when I compare my blades to a new one it is very close. I touch it up with a file.
Make sure the wheel is turning into the blade and not out to the edge this helps keep the edge from getting to hot and losing temper. This is how the expensive blade grinders do it. If you don't have a vise you can even vise grip it the something solid like the side rail of your trailer like I did in a pinch once.
Whatever you use , practice and care are what makes the difference.

Cut-Rite2
05-10-2005, 03:09 PM
How long ago did you purchase the grinder, if lowes still has them I def will go pick one up and give it a try. Anything that will save the $40 a week I spend on having the blades sharpened at a shop is worth a try.
I purchased the grinder about 3 weeks ago. I will admit there are better grinders out there for more money, but this thing has already paid for itself in the cost of having the local mower shop do it. Since I'm a recent startup and have less cash than I'd like too, I have to go with the "cheap" for the time being.

If the wheel is wet it must be slinging water when you use it. Do you wear a raincoat and boots? For $29 it must be a tiny motor with no power. When you press the blade too hard against the wheel it probably will stop. Please post a picture and model number.
The grinder doesn't throw water. It has a shroud over the water bin and the wheel only turns at 140 RPM, so it's too slow to throw water. It also has a gear reduction in it to keep the wheel spinning at a constant speed and it doesn't slow down unless you press very hard. You only need a little pressure to grind effectively with it. You don't want to press hard anyway, so that you don't prematurely wear down the wheel. It may take a little longer to sharpen, but since the cost is very low to purchase this, it's worth a little extra time. Since the thing uses water to cool the stone and the object you're sharpening, you can't burn the metal and ruin the temper. The Model is called "GMC 8" Sharpener" 1.2 AMP, 8" wheel and 1.5" wide. It's dark blue with yellow lettering on it, and it will be in the Tools and Machinery section of Lowe's. I will post a picture if you're still interested.

Glenn J
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
This one?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91704-38307-BG150AUL&lpage=none

oughtsix
05-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Does anyone else use a floor standing belt sander? I have a 60 year old 6" beltsander that does an excellent job sharpening blades. Because I am hitting 6" of the blade at a time it only takes a few seconds to get a perfectly straight edge on the blade. I also hit the back of the blade with the sander and get blades sharp enough to shave with. I just clamp a stop block to the table to keep a perfect angle. A pencil line on the table shows me where to clamp the block when I am sharpening my blades.

Cut-Rite2
05-10-2005, 04:47 PM
This one?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91704-38307-BG150AUL&lpage=none

Not that one.....Here it is:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=36382-38307-BDS8UL&category=15&lpage=none&bc=c

stumper1620
05-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Does anyone else use a floor standing belt sander? I have a 60 year old 6" beltsander that does an excellent job sharpening blades. Because I am hitting 6" of the blade at a time it only takes a few seconds to get a perfectly straight edge on the blade. I also hit the back of the blade with the sander and get blades sharp enough to shave with. I just clamp a stop block to the table to keep a perfect angle. A pencil line on the table shows me where to clamp the block when I am sharpening my blades.
do you got a pic of that set up, sounds interesting to me.

lawnprosteveo
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I use a simple 6 dollar file and do a perfect job sharpening my blades...you don't need to be able to shave with the blade, as they don't even come like that from the factory...
I've used a 4" handheld grinder and also a file....file probably does the best job....grinder is the fastest. :cool:

topsites
05-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I would say it depends how many blades you have.
As a solo operator, I have 2 mowers and 15 blades (5 sets of 3).
I run them interchangeably, 3 sets are brand-new, one set is a year old, the final set is 2 years old and critical (when a blade could break apart).
So I run the new ones on the 2005 model which runs most the time, the 1-year olds on the '98 for a few yards here and there when the '98 needs a run to give the new one a break, and the 2-year olds are reserved for those special 'brush' clearing situations where people either have grass up to my arse or they want me to take the WB into the woods.
3 years ago I bought one them yellow 4" grinders at Lowe's for like 50 bucks and just now the wheel is about worn out. I sharpen blades daily (actually, I sharpen them all once/week then I simply swap dull with sharp for 5 days).
Far as the pitch, it helps from time to time buy some new blades and keep the new ones intact and compare them to the old ones. Some old ones will be off considerably but with a bit of patience you can get the pitch back.

As for me, I don't really care too much so long they don't streak.
Peace out.

Lodogg2221
05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I just use an air die-grinder with a cut off wheel. Takes off less material than my 4" grinder, and is faster for me. I just havent found a grinder I like that I wanna pay the price for yet. But I ususally only sharpen once a month or so. Only takes a few minutes either way. Guess it does depend on how many you have to do though......

Gramkow Landscape
05-11-2005, 01:25 AM
I have all 3 types of grinders the slow wet wheel that I bought from Sears, a bench grinder, and a Dewalt angle grinder. The Dewalt is by far the fastest way to go, but make sure to buy the heavy duty version with metal gear casing it's only about $25 more and the plastic will deform after heavy use on the cheaper one. Although I use mine for cutting too. I usually just clamp my blades down to the work bench and come at the blade at a 45 degree angle using just the corner of the grinding wheel, I like a thick bevel maybe 1/2" I don't know the exact angle but I would guess about 30 degrees. Since I keep the grinder at such an aggressive angle it leaves the edge almost serrated, then I finish with a hand file on the under side of the blade to clean the edge up. I find this jagged edge stays sharper longer than a blade that has the bevel polished, kinda like how when you buy a new blade it seems like it stays sharp for a month but I only get about 3 weeks.... 2 weeks and the edge stops grabbing my fingers.

Glenn J
05-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Not that one.....Here it is:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=36382-38307-BDS8UL&category=15&lpage=none&bc=c

Cool, thanks.

Pro-Scapes
05-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I just take 3 sets (9 blades at a time) bout every 2 weeks or so to my dealer and he does em all for 18 bucks sharpened and balanced.

Doesn't anyone worry bout the balance? Would seem to me balancing is a key factor in spindle bearing life. I also done like to feel my a$$ do the hootchie cootchie when I pop the clutch.

GreenUtah
05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Countless blades over the years on more styles and types of equipment than I care to remember and pro scapes is absolutely right, BALANCE is key to preserving your quality of cut and spindle life. Do not discount what the vibrations of an unbalanced blade can do to the rest of your machine as well. You'll notice it begins with bolts working themselves out, even with nylox or crimp stop nuts and continue on through welds shattering and maybe your the filling in your teeth eventually working themselves out! lol..We tried many styles of grinders and sharpeners and found that just a regular bench grinder with a wire brush on one side to take off built up grass and a nine inch wheel with a rest on the other side handled even the most complicated mulching blades quickly with a little practice. Follow the bevel that they come with and make sure you see shiny, new sharpness across the entire face of the factory bevel each time and you will be staying very close. We never sharpened from the back side, only a flat pass to take of burrs from nicks, ran blades for a week on a sharpening, except in rain and ALWAYS balanced before they went into the ready bin. Never saw tip fray on this schedule and never replaced a blade spindle on any machine we had.