PDA

View Full Version : What is the one thing that bugs you when doing lawn maintenance?

South Florida Lawns
05-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I really hate it when i am out with the blower and the wind changes direction and everything blows back in my face :cry: what are some of the things that you cant stand or that happen ocasionally but drive you crazy?

chefdrp
05-08-2005, 04:34 PM
when i have to turn off something to talk to a client.

South Florida Lawns
05-08-2005, 04:36 PM
people are pretty nice but they sure love to talk.

John Gamba
05-08-2005, 04:43 PM
When a customer comes out to talk to you and there was a good tune on.
John

Tight Angles
05-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Breaking in a new edge.

budracin
05-08-2005, 04:56 PM
when you have to stop and pick-up trash or other objects in your path

A+ Lawncare
05-08-2005, 05:14 PM
when you have to stop and pick-up trash or other objects in your path

do you not do a property walk/check for debri or other structures b4 mowing the lawn?

take a min or 2 and do a property elavaulation, giving the prop. a good look b4 starting to mow or such will save u time... if you have to stop the mower at least 4 times to pick up trash, u've wasted at least 6mins vs 2mins to do a over check b4 mowing.... :waving:

tinman
05-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Stopping mower or trimmer to talk to a client .... if they would just wait I have no problem spending time talking AFTER I'm done. I have to pull off earmuffs, dustmask, ear phones,,,,all of which then get tangled around each other :realmad:

green thum
05-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Starting a new edge or having to stop to pick up trash in my way,i like the idea of walking the property first,think i will try that.

Tharrell
05-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Turning the backpack off to speak to a customer kinda irritates me. I think I'm going to rev it to the max and swing the tube when I see them coming. Maybe hold my hand up to my ear and pretend like they need speak LOUDER. ha ha ha

mbricker
05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I have to agree with the "customers wanting to chat," because I have always had a lot of retired folks who think I have so much free time to visit with them. There is one old lady who I never ask anymore "How are you?" because I will have to spend at least 15 minutes hearing her tell me about her last 6 doctor visits, and all of her prescriptions, and all of the people she knows who have almost died from the side effects from those same medications, and so on. And it's not like she is starved for company--her son comes over almost every day.

Another thing that bugs me about those same people--on the days I am not scheduled at their house, they seem to think I am just sitting at home waiting for them to call me and offer me some work--instead of out working in other neighborhoods. I mean I get actual calls on my answering machine like "Mike, call me when you get this, I think I want you to pick up a dogwood at the nursery and plant it for me this afternoon." So I get in, at 8:00 in the evening, and wonder if they feel like I stood them up!!!

Oh, yeah, there are also the ones who simply will not leave a message on my answering machine. One old guy was on my caller ID about 13 times in two days a couple of years ago, because he wasn't going to talk unless he could talk to me in person. He wasn't even a customer, but a neighbor of a customer, who--I learned later--wanted me to do some shrub trimming. I told my customer--his neighbor-- I wouldn't even consider working for someone who wouldn't use an answering machine, because they would likely be a supreme PITA in other ways too.

I'll get old too someday, and be a pain in the a$$ to someone!

Turf Technologies
05-08-2005, 08:28 PM
How bout when your string trimming and almost done and poof there goes the last bit of line.

Eddie B
05-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Doggy Poop.

RICHIE K
05-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Picking up toys and talking to customers

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Tider6972
05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I'll go with the guy who said "breaking a new edge" !

I don't care what equipment you've got, cutting a new edge on a Bermuda Grass or St. Augustine lawn which hasn't been edged in a year or more, is hard work !!

bilelt9411
05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
hitting a pile of dog poop with my string trimmer yuk !

Itsgottobegreen
05-08-2005, 10:15 PM
How bout when your string trimming and almost done and poof there goes the last bit of line.
And you are at the far-est point of a 3 acre property from the trailer.

Mine is having neighbors coming over to ask a ton of questions. Or yelling at me that I am making to much noise. (kinda funny since the houses all sit on 3 acres)

Or a customer that calls at 7am. (I don't get up till 8am) demands a project be done a today which is 1 weekafter you told them it would be 2 to 3 weeks before you start it.

Or asking a customer to take their kids/dogs back inside again after asking them the first time. They think just because I cut the back yard, they can let the kids back out. They can come back out when I pull away with the truck.

LwnmwrMan22
05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
do you not do a property walk/check for debri or other structures b4 mowing the lawn?

take a min or 2 and do a property elavaulation, giving the prop. a good look b4 starting to mow or such will save u time... if you have to stop the mower at least 4 times to pick up trash, u've wasted at least 6mins vs 2mins to do a over check b4 mowing.... :waving:

What about properties that are 20+ acres of mowing??

Obviously it wouldn't be practical to walk the entire thing, picking up all the garbage.

Pro-Scapes
05-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Dog poop has to rang right up there with toys in the yard. least poop if you run it over no ones gonna get all mad and bent out of whack.

Gotta love thoes damp mornings where something wont start too. That really sucks.

kppurn
05-08-2005, 11:37 PM
All of my pet peeve's have been taken, but I hate it when the wind changes direction 10 times while blowing off a property, when people think we are also there to shoot the breeze for 10-15 minutes, and picking up toys scattered all over the yard. I don't mind talking to people, but it gets old when it's the same people week after week.

TheKingNJ
05-08-2005, 11:43 PM
i hate having to pull my rider out of the trailer to fill it up with gas.

dcwalker
05-08-2005, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=South Florida Lawns]I really hate it when i am out with the blower and the wind changes direction and everything blows back in my face :cry:

Same here. Here in Oklahoma the wind seems to change constantly, drives me nuts! :dizzy:

FoxDen
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Line trimming a cemetary every week with 250 grave stones. That's a lot of work and a lot of string!

LwnmwrMan22
05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
i hate having to pull my rider out of the trailer to fill it up with gas.

Wouldn't a gas can or two work?? Just carry them in the truck, fill them up, then when you get the the first property fill up the mower??

Can't be any slower than opening the door on the trailer, get the mower started, back the mower out, drive up to the pump.

Fill up the mower, drive back onto the trailer, get off the mower, close the trailer.

Either that, or go to commercial accounts that are by a gas station, then you can just drive over while you're mowing.

Each day I have at least 2 accounts within a block of a gas station.

Appalachian landscape
05-09-2005, 12:10 AM
How about when you talk to a customer about doing something on their property. Like seeding, planting, mulching, or whatever. They want to know how I'm going to do the job and what will be taking place. You come back the next week and they say "I went to lowes and bought my lilacs and planted them" or " I went over to home depot and bought some seed and starter fert". I AM NOT YOUR PERSONAL GARDEN REFERENCE!!!TAKE SOME INITIATIVE GO TO THE LIBRARY, GET A BOOK, AND LEARN THIS KNOWLEGE ON YOUR OWN! P'O's me to no end. the only reason I gave the knowlege was you told me I had the job. :angry: :realmad:

I have one customer that has done this repeatedly. I don't even talk to her anymore when I come to cut. I'll drop her ass as soon as I can afford to.

desert rose gardening
05-09-2005, 12:30 AM
all of the above!

grasshopperslc
05-09-2005, 12:59 AM
You guys said just about every thing.But one of my problems are hitting something with the mower like a big rocks or tree roots.I don't mind talking to people but I have this one client that's around 95 years old and he will come out and start yelling and I'm in the middle of the lawn cuttin' away.So I have to start pulling all the levers and stopping the blades and throttling down and pull the brake. :dizzy: And I walk over to him and he just says what hight the deck should be set at.It was set at the perfect hight for his lawn the whole time but thats just customers :D One more thing that is no fun is being out in the middle of a 3 1/2 acre lot and the gas runs out and you have to go get the 5 gallon tub of gas and bring it all the way out there and back. :eek: But thats mostly my fault :rolleyes:

Darryl G
05-09-2005, 01:00 AM
If I had to pick one, it would be doggie droppings. Nothing like hitting a fresh pile with the weedwacker!

rodfather
05-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Picking up toys. Period

mdmowerman
05-09-2005, 07:09 AM
you all say dog droppings, what about cow droppings!!!!

the farm where i keep my mowing trailer at has about 10 cows. which are normally fenced in a field. lately they've had the cows up by the house/horse barn/where i keep my trailer, and i mow the patch of grass where there trailer and apparently cows stay........ anyone ever got a lazer near stuck.... in cow ****????

language

TURF DOCTOR
05-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Don't forget a flat tire

TScapes
05-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Everyone has mentioned about all the good ones. but I can just add some other insights to a couple. In regards to the wind, I hate it when it's blowing and no matter what way you turn your mower the clippings end up in your face and your ears. I had a property downtown Atlanta years ago that was easier to use a billy goat vacuum than it was to blow.... too windy and blew in every direction imaginable!
I also hate it you are cutting the perimeter of an area, and a car pulls right up in front of you... looking right at you and seeing that you are mowing. Instead of using common sense and moving to another parking spot.... ;) they decide to park right in your path, so hopefully you will get grass on their car so they can ask you to pay for a car wash!!! I hate ignorant people! :realmad:

TScapes
05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Another quick one....
I do strictly commercial properties, so people that do residentials may never have this happen to them, but it could still apply to the neigborhood.... Anyways, I hate it when you are blowing a curb along a parkway (2-4 lanes) and a car is coming towards you, slows down and drives really slow following you (if behind you) or actually stops (if coming towards you).... even though they are clear to pass you... it is too difficult to do that because you are in their way (even though you are walking right beside the curb and they have another 10 foot lane beside them.... IDIOTS!

Bethelboy
05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't mind talking to my customers that much because I have found that the ones who talk tend to be the most loyal. I do hate it when sombody decides to come out on the porch or deck and watch me the entire time. Maybe I just get nervous or something but it drives me crazy.

LwnmwrMan22
05-09-2005, 10:34 PM
I did forget one, it happened again today.

I do 98% commercial accounts, so there's a fair amount of trash to grab with the grabber while I'm mowing.

I hate getting the bottles that are filled with urine, with or without the cap on, or the glasses from fast food places, the cardboard ones, that when you grab them and go to flip them into the bucket between your legs, the fluid spills out onto your pants before you have a chance to see what color it was.

I also hate picking up used diapers, whether it's children's or adults.

I also really really really really get disgusted when there are used feminine products from the swimsuit area in the grass. I usually leave those and hope they blow away before I mow again, just mow around them.

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Having a customer that stands and watches me work. Or one that wants to try to help.

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Also, hitting dog crap with a weed trimmer.

txlawnking
05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
At least to the chatting problem.. I just say "no habla".... I get pretty dark for a white boy :cool: The blower wide open when they begin aproaching works great too..

turf9
05-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I can't believe nobody has covered the emergency having to go Number 2 wile you are in the middle of a job. :cry:

tinman
05-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Having a customer that stands and watches me work. Or one that wants to try to help.
Hate that one too. When it happens while I'm pressure washing,,,, I make sure they get a little damp.... so tehy do not watch long. :p :p :p

lawnprosteveo
05-09-2005, 11:30 PM
people.......the customers, the neighbors, the neighbor's neighbors, traffic....basically all the people.