PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this lawn? ASAP

newbomb
05-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I have a customer that has developed bare patches under 2 adjoining shade trees. The Ground is bare and appears very dry and cracked. My plan is to add fresh topsoil and reseed with shade tolerant grass. I have seen this condition elsewhere but I dont know what causes it. Help!

LawnSmith
05-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I have a customer that has developed bare patches under 2 adjoining shade trees. The Ground is bare and appears very dry and cracked. My plan is to add fresh topsoil and reseed with shade tolerant grass. I have seen this condition elsewhere but I dont know what causes it. Help!

turfgrass doesnt like to fight for sunlight or moisture. tree vs. the lawn, the tree always wins.

the solution is to prep the ground for new sod, limb up the tree(s) as much as the customer will allow while also thinning them out with correct pruning. install new sod, and tell the customer to water the area as much as possible.

sheshovel
05-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Tell them grass dosent grow well under trees and the tree is taking all the lawns food ect.Then suggest they cut back the lawn area around the tree.

YardPro
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
trees will out compete grass for resources... that's why in nature grass does not grow in foreses... only savannahs wothout tree cover.....

to keep an attractive look, create a mulch ring and possibly some plants that do well under a tree canopy...

Runner
05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Mulch it out (nicely) and plant something like some Pachys or Ivy.

marko
05-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Prune up tree and try creeping red or chewings fescue. Loves the shade but hates foot traffic.