PDA

View Full Version : New Velke

WoodBrothersLC
05-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Is anyone using the new Velke's with the pistol grips. We got a Stander last year and love the cut. Is the Velke's cut as good as other Wright products, and is it worth the money? Thanks.

proenterprises
05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I have not seen it. Do you have a link?

WoodBrothersLC
05-08-2005, 10:33 PM
WWW.WRIGHTMFG.COM

Itsgottobegreen
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
What size deck do you plan on getting?

Personally since you already love your stander. Why don't you just get a 2nd one. I have ran both the velke and the stander. I like the stander a whole lot better. Why walk when you can ride. Velkes are nice. But why ride on a little baby tire, verse the nice big rear tires of the stander. The price difference isn't that much.

WoodBrothersLC
05-09-2005, 11:14 PM
If we ever got one of them it would be to replace a walk behind. We're not looking at getting one right now. Thanks for the info.

Wright Mfg
03-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Is anyone using the new Velke's with the pistol grips. We got a Stander last year and love the cut. Is the Velke's cut as good as other Wright products, and is it worth the money? Thanks.

The velke mower decks are virtually the same as the Small Stander decks.

JV

dfor
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I picked one at the end of last season. Paid $4,600. 52" 17hp Kawi. I happen to like pistol grips, they don't bother my hands too much. It comes standard with an hour meter, parking break, electric clutch, 18x8.50x8 tires. Haven't used it yet. All I need to do now is bolt on the Proslide. Quality of cut should be the same as the Standers. Dealer support was my main reason for the purchase.

edit: doesn't really matter, but I just realized that this is almost a year old.

PGA
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Seems a little pricey for a walk-behind.

Wright Mfg
03-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Dfor- You already have the Velke sulky hitch and latch system. Why not get a Velke pro1 or X2? I hope you realize the limitations of Proslide.

JV

dfor
03-09-2006, 11:48 AM
JV, I have used a Proslide for 6 years and really like them. Maybe if I were to try the Velke I'd change my mind. If I didn't have the Proslide, I'm sure I'd try the Velke attachment.

Wright Mfg
03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Dfor- Fair enough - Just curious, In 6 years, how long has the skid mat lasted, what does it cost to replace, and do you ride it on anything but grass?

JV

dfor
03-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I can easily get 4 years out of a wear plate. Not sure of replacement cost, as I have two Proslides. I always step off when going over anything but grass. Here is another pic for those interested.

MacLawnCo
03-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Jim, have you fixed your decks for 06 yet? What is the new blade speed? The deck shells looks nearly identical to my 05.

Dixie Rob
03-13-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a JD WB, which is belt driven and I hate the pistol grips with a passion. I am sure it is better with a hydro unit, but just for reference, with a belt unit, you suffer major fatigue after a few hours.

Wright Mfg
03-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Jim, have you fixed your decks for 06 yet? What is the new blade speed? The deck shells looks nearly identical to my 05.

Fixed? BTS is 19,000 FPM
JV

MacLawnCo
03-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Jim, while it is nice to give the opperator more comfort while riding the machine, in my experiences your deck needs much work. I litterally tried every possible adjustment to your deck to get it to handle grass well. It wouldnt. One of my biggest gripes was that when set up best, balls of grass would build up under the discharge triangle and release themselves every 10-15 ft.

Also, your deck needs baffling as shown in the pictures. These were taken mid summer on an average day after cutting for 9 hours. It was always like this. Additionally, grass would always build up under the deck around the bolts that hold the casters on. Not well thought out, IMO. Aside from the below average cut and the horrid placement of the oil drain and filter, your stander is nice.

Wright Mfg
03-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Jim, while it is nice to give the operator more comfort while riding the machine, in my experiences your deck needs much work. I literally tried every possible adjustment to your deck to get it to handle grass well. It wouldnt. One of my biggest gripes was that when set up best, balls of grass would build up under the discharge triangle and release themselves every 10-15 ft.

Also, your deck needs baffling as shown in the pictures. These were taken mid summer on an average day after cutting for 9 hours. It was always like this. Additionally, grass would always build up under the deck around the bolts that hold the casters on. Not well thought out, IMO. Aside from the below average cut and the horrid placement of the oil drain and filter, your stander is nice.

Maclawnco- I admit we haven't put a lot of work into designing the baffling and geometry of that cutter deck. We basically copied the deck of another very popular mower back in 1996. We have been very successful with it though and we have made some changes to many decks. On our newest decks the caster supports are now welded on, so there are no bolt-heads for grass to hang up on. We have and will put more effort into improving our deck designs in the coming months and years.

One thing I'm not sure I'm a fan on is using Double blades like you are doing. It raises some concerns such as:

1. Lower clutch/brake life due to more mass to start and stop the blades.
2. Lower belt life due to more mass to start and stop the blades.
3. Lower spindle life due to extra mass and chance for an unbalanced system.
4. Seems to me that since you are essentially cutting the grass twice (at two different heights), you have to drive slower or accept that the grass might not all be cut at the lower height. It seems more logical that the blade edges should be at the same HOC (unless you are trying for more of a mulching system which would still slow you down).
5. Maybe using double blades and that gator blade is causing some of your issues. I do know that we have a lot of users that don't have those issues.

I don't claim to have all the answers. I value feedback from users such as yourself.

Thanks,
JimV

impactlandscaping
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
We have been very pleased with the quality and cut on our Standers. I have never experienced any cutting issues with ours. They are set up with mulch kits and single Raptor blades. What's the chance of getting a new Z up to PASS Inc. this spring? I haven't got to see one in person yet, and I'm not sure if Evan will order one in or not. If not, where else could we see / demo one?

Bill

Wright Mfg
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
We have been very pleased with the quality and cut on our Standers. I have never experienced any cutting issues with ours. They are set up with mulch kits and single Raptor blades. What's the chance of getting a new Z up to PASS Inc. this spring? I haven't got to see one in person yet, and I'm not sure if Evan will order one in or not. If not, where else could we see / demo one?

Bill

Bill, Thanks for the nice comments on our Stander.

The "Z" is in high demand and in limited supply right now. It will take some time to reach all our dealers as we ramp up production and fill the pipeline. I know our Distributor for Pass Inc. has some they're showing around to introduce it. It could probably be arranged for you to meet up to see one somewhere. Best thing you could do is e-mail us at: sales@wrightmfg.com and give your full name, company name, address, phone, etc and we'll see what can be arranged. Be sure to mention that you want to see/demo a "Z".

Thanks,
JimV

MacLawnCo
03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for hearing me out Jim. Like I said, I litterally tried every adjustment to that machine including blades. The setup i liked the best was 3" wide blades with a huge wing.

To be honest, even though I order a new turf tracer yesterday, Id like you to get me a demo of your changed stander. The only standers Ive seen are the old ones with the bolted on casters and such. Talk to Heil brothers and let me know what you can do.

Wright Mfg
03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for hearing me out Jim. Like I said, I litterally tried every adjustment to that machine including blades. The setup i liked the best was 3" wide blades with a huge wing.

To be honest, even though I order a new turf tracer yesterday, Id like you to get me a demo of your changed stander. The only standers Ive seen are the old ones with the bolted on casters and such. Talk to Heil brothers and let me know what you can do.

What deck size do you want? The Large Stander will have bolt on casters for awhile. We havn't changed that one yet.

JV

impactlandscaping
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Bill, Thanks for the nice comments on our Stander.

The "Z" is in high demand and in limited supply right now. It will take some time to reach all our dealers as we ramp up production and fill the pipeline. I know our Distributor for Pass Inc. has some they're showing around to introduce it. It could probably be arranged for you to meet up to see one somewhere. Best thing you could do is e-mail us at: sales@wrightmfg.com and give your full name, company name, address, phone, etc and we'll see what can be arranged. Be sure to mention that you want to see/demo a "Z".

Thanks,
JimV

Will do ,Jim! I didn't know if they were in "full" production yet or not. I have a guy at Hayward Dist.(the dist. you are talikng about, I think) I have dealt with before that I can call.He probably has one. Thanks again, Jim!!:waving:

Wright Mfg
03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Will do ,Jim! I didn't know if they were in "full" production yet or not. I have a guy at Hayward Dist.(the dist. you are talikng about, I think) I have dealt with before that I can call.He probably has one. Thanks again, Jim!!:waving:

Our Distributor for your area is Cadco at 800-942-2326. Hayward has lower parts of WV.

JV

impactlandscaping
03-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jim. I wasn't sure if I was right or not, lol. I can't wait to try one out.

topcat
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Jim - while on the subject of standers, what is the machine difference between a small frame stander and a large frame stander in the 48" deck model. Is there more trim side deck overhang, etc? The dealer I was at wasn't real sure.

Wright Mfg
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Jim - while on the subject of standers, what is the machine difference between a small frame stander and a large frame stander in the 48" deck model. Is there more trim side deck overhang, etc? The dealer I was at wasn't real sure.

Small frame 48" Stander advantages:
1. more trim side overhang due to narrower frame and tires
2. 19,000 fpm BTS
3. costs less than large frame 48" Stander

Large frame 48" Stander advantages:
1. taller and wider tires for more traction and better curb climbing ability
2. larger engines available
3. heavier duty clutch
4. faster ground speed
5. wider foot platform

JimV