PDA

View Full Version : Help - Motor Oil in Hydro

bowe
05-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I was changing the motor oil in my Grasshopper and in an unexplainable brain cramp began pouring the 10W-30 motor oil into the hydro system.

It's only 10 hours (engine break-in change) and the hydro was completely full. I only realized what I was doing after the oil started running out of the top. I have NO idea how much of the quart of 10W-30 made it into the hydro case and how much spilled over. There's still some left in the quart, so it's somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 of a quart that made it into the rerservoir. It's obviously over-filled now.

Do I need to completely drain the hydro and re-fill? It's a 5 quart reservoir.

Thanks for any help.

bigz1001
05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
I was changing the motor oil in my Grasshopper and in an unexplainable brain cramp began pouring the 10W-30 motor oil into the hydro system.

It's only 10 hours (engine break-in change) and the hydro was completely full. I only realized what I was doing after the oil started running out of the top. I have NO idea how much of the quart of 10W-30 made it into the hydro case and how much spilled over. There's still some left in the quart, so it's somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 of a quart that made it into the rerservoir. It's obviously over-filled now.

Thanks for any help.

Most likely yes. Odd's are that your grasshopper doesn't use 10W-30 for the hydros and it is never a good idea to mix and match.

Restrorob
05-09-2005, 06:34 AM

Thanks for any help.

First thing you need to do is find out what type and weight oil goes in your system.
Dixie Chopper and many others use 20/50 engine oil,If its the case on your unit I wouldn't worrie about such little being added to a 5 quart system.

TURF DOCTOR
05-09-2005, 07:49 AM
I would not sweat it it calls for 20 50 mobil,500 hours is when the say change it they have a vent it will come out mowing hill sides you lose it.

MJB
05-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I would drain it and change the filter too. Grasshopper has their own oil, but I have been told Mobil 15 50 which is synthetic oil will work. But according to Grasshopper the oil they sell has more additives. The G2 hydros require synthetic, I don't know what would happen if you mix in regular oil. They are under xtreme pressure. Call your dealer and ask them what to do. But make sure your dealer has been with grasshopper for a while, or you might get some bad advice.

CCWKen
05-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Leave it. It won't hurt.

bowe
05-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I contacted a technician from GH today and he told me it's not really a big deal, but as a precaution, he would definitely drain the system and replace the filter and oil with 15W-50 synthetic. So I did. Pretty painless.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

TClawn
05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Leave it. It won't hurt.

you put the wrong stuff in your hydro system, you DRAIN IT.

this is what happens when you don't.

ArchZangel
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Every company sets the system up differently. They may all use Hydro-gear, or White or Parker, Whatever. But that doesn't mean they are setup the same configuration, pressure, oil weight, heat ranges, seals and o-ring material. So drain and fill is a good idea. Personnaly if it was my mower i wouldn't care, customer is a diff story

Just my 2 cents

Oh BTW I am new around here, Hi ALL!
Archangel