PDA

View Full Version : What to use to cut tall grass

Mac B.
05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I have got to cut a job that has 2' tall grass. Do you think it would be better to cut with my Kubota B2710 tractor with mid mower or my 757 John Deere. The tractor is 27 hp diesel. I was wondering which would have the less strain on it.

Mac

grasshopperslc
05-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry I'v never seen that Kubota model so I'm not sure :confused: .But you said it has a 27hp diesel??Than I would go with Kubota because of the torque.Now I herd that the john deere's are tough.But it doesn't have the torque that the tractor has. :waving:

SproulsLawnCare
05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I signed on an account this week that had not been mowed yet, about six weeks into this season. It was tall enough that I had to make several stops to pick things up that I missed on the walk through. One time I took notice that the un-cut grass was as tall as the rear tire of my JD 757 in some places. I had to creep through it with the deck all the way up (5.5") and then creep through it again at 3.25". It had enough power to handle the job as long as I went slow and kept the chute up. I sure wish I would have had a Kabota like that to use though. I wouldn't have had to think twice about which I would have used. May have used the Kabota first and then finished with the JD.

joshua
05-09-2005, 03:18 AM
i would of never cut the lawn down from 2' to 3.25'' in one day. i would of gone down to 5'' then 4'' to 3'' in 1-2 weeks.

Itsgottobegreen
05-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Go rent a Brush hog for your kubota. 2' if going to tear up the MMM. Done a similar job that way. (other than I already own a brush hog) Should cost you about $50 to rent a 5' model for 4 hours. Then run it over again with the JD 575

SproulsLawnCare
05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
i would of never cut the lawn down from 2' to 3.25'' in one day. i would of gone down to 5'' then 4'' to 3'' in 1-2 weeks.

In this instance, I had no choice. This account started out as a one time cut. Apparently they were impressed with the results enough to sign on for the year. I only wish I had a bagger so I could have cleaned it up better. The clippings did cut up small enough and spread out enough to be even and allow for a decent look. Much better than it did to begin with!

Pecker
05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I say use the right equipment for the right job. You're just going to tear up a good mower on that job. Get a bush hog for your tractor, or maybe rent one.

Meg-Mo
05-09-2005, 04:09 PM
put MEG MO blades on and twice over very little grass showing on turf.

Mickhippy
05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Just use ya tractor mate. Put deck on highest or second highest setting and go for it. Just go slow and let it dispurse as well as it can with shield up. Then recut one or 2 settings lower and leave it. I wouldnt cut any lower than that considering how long it was. Try and do it while its very dry if possible!
Cut it down to size over a couple of weeks is better than hacking at it in one day if possible!

Just do it like Sprouls said and itll be fine!

Heres a series of pics to show that a little tractor with MM can do it. And yours has more HP and a better deck!

Mac B.
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have been wanting a bushhog for a while now anyway. I thought maybe that the 757 would have cut better due to the blade tip speed over the tractor.

Mac

green acres lawns
05-09-2005, 11:17 PM
How thick it is makes as much difference as how tall it is. I have cut grass and weeds that were higher than the hood with my 318 John Deere. I also fried the belt on my 48hp John Deere tractor with mid-mount mower cutting thick/wet 2 ft orchard grass. I took the mid-mount off and put the 6 ft bush-hog on and finished cutting with no more problems. Belts are usually the weakest link when cutting the thick stuff.

Roger
05-09-2005, 11:31 PM
What blades have been found best to use when knocking down tall grass the first time through?

I have an Exmark 36" w/b. I used to think the best ones were my Lesco super-hi-lifts. They have the most discharge, but also are a heavy power drain by themselves, let alone tall grass to cut. However, I've tried a different scheme the past year, having a couple of jobs with very tall grass the first time through. I have a set of standard-lift Gators that I believe work best. I bought them many years ago, and they don't have enough discharge to bag, so have little discharge force. However, in those situations, the main task on the first time through: get it cut, and out of the deck ASAP, don't worry about distribution or fineness of clippings. The standard Gators require the least power to drive, leaving the more power to do the cutting. The results after the first pass aren't very impressive, but a cross-cutting for a second pass will clean things up greatly.

From my experience, out of:

Super hi-lift
Standard OEM notched air-foil
Hi-lift Gators
Standard Gators,

The last choice has been the best for me.

I just knocked one down last Saturday night, and was very pleased how well it worked. Very few clumps and reasonable distribution of clippings. I'm using the strategy suggested earlier -- highest cut one day, and following a few days later (scheduled for this Wednesday) a second pass a bit lower. By then, it should be in managable state, ready for weekly visits thereafter.

mtdman
05-10-2005, 01:16 AM
What to use to cut grass: Another lawn service!

:D