PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you in equipment selection?

Envy Lawn Service
05-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Just wondering what is the greatest motivator when you choose which equipment to buy. Do you....

1- Buy based on the cheapest price?
2- Buy from the most convienent location?
3- Buy from the best servicing dealer?
4- Buy what you feel is the best brand?
5- Buy what produces the most production on your accounts per dollar spent?

Just curious to see what the primary motivator is....

jtkplc
05-08-2005, 11:47 PM
For me it was getting the most bang for the buck. It also included getting something that would meet my needs the best, such as fast ground speeds for big areas.

grasshopperslc
05-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd go with #4.That's what I did.Got a trailer full of Ferris's because I knew that they made good mowers.And the dealer was helpful. :D

Envy Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Cool guys.... Need more votes....

dvmcmrhp52
05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Quality of product (productivity included)
Service
Convenience
Price

In somewhat that order..................

K&L Landscaping
05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Hey Envy, I see your in NC also. I buy JD Z-Traks because I think they are the best for my applications. Also, JD is right here in NC so parts are never more than a day or two away. I have an eXmark Metro HP 36" only because my dealer was out of GS30s at the time and I really needed a 36" fast. So I voted for #4 with service a VERY close 2nd.

Flex-Deck
05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Hard to vote on this one. I need Quality first, Dealer support second. All those mowers out there mow basically the same, They all have blades turning really fast, and hopefully they all have adjustments to level the deck, and hopefully they all allow you to take the blades off and sharpen them.

With the above stated, there is only one brand for me. - John Deere - Best Quality by far. - Best Dealer support by far. End of Arguement.

Lawnchoice
05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
It really comes down to service for me.

I only use two dealers. One of them basically sees you coming in with a problem and gets right on the equipment with an issue.

The service manager and a tech JUMP onto the trailer and start working on the equipment immediately. If they can't fix it right there, they take it off for you and load on another comparable machine for you to use until your machine is fixed.

That is service!

K&L Landscaping
05-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Hard to vote on this one. I need Quality first, Dealer support second. All those mowers out there mow basically the same, They all have blades turning really fast, and hopefully they all have adjustments to level the deck, and hopefully they all allow you to take the blades off and sharpen them.

With the above stated, there is only one brand for me. - John Deere - Best Quality by far. - Best Dealer support by far. End of Arguement.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Mo Green
05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
All of the choices listed are motivating factors for me. A nice balance of them all is what I look for.

JimLewis
05-09-2005, 09:53 PM
I can't vote either. Quality is the biggest factor. And you didn't list that as an option.

greenwithenvylandscape
05-09-2005, 10:00 PM
It depends on the product. If it's a two cyc. item I get a major brand and it works but if it's a high dollar mower there are many factors.

Moonlight
05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Quality and Dependability get me more customer referrals than any advertising could, but Service is the most important for me. That is all I have to offer my customers......Service.........anybody, licensed or not, can kill weeds or bugs or mow. This is my 10th year........it's all about service

martyman
05-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I remember when I first started everyone in my area had a Ferris 36" walkbehind, but I wanted a Toro/Exmark or Hustler dual hydro but I couldn't afford to buy one or find a dealer locally to service it. I thought it was better to buy the Ferris and have the good warranty and service close to me... I was wrong. I should have never bought the machine and now I choose the machine that I know will suit my environment and if it means driving a little bit father for parts or service, I would rather do that.

txlawnking
05-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Even though you didn't have the quality option... For me it's a balance between: Price, quality,ease of use, and productivity...

Envy Lawn Service
05-20-2005, 11:58 PM
This has been and interesting thread. I just wish more of you had participated.

hole in one lco
05-21-2005, 12:28 AM
1. if you price shop and buying on price you wont get what you won't ..........

shortgut
05-21-2005, 06:40 AM
I trry to buy what seems to work for me by past experence if it did a goo job and did not have too many problems then why change brands cause I know how that brands is compared to another brand unless price is way out of line as being too high