PDA

View Full Version : floating decks good or bad???

grasshopperslc
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
I had a 52" Scag walk-behind with a floating or some people call them hanging decks.And I found that when I would hit a bump the deck would jump? :dizzy: And in some case's the belt that went from the deck to the engine broke off and I was driving slow.This happened with the deck at 31/2" and 4".So I want to know if any one else had this problem?? :confused: Oh and the grass was around 2 1/2' tall so that might be a problem.

op4_camper
05-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Oh and the grass was around 2 1/2' tall so that might be a problem.

is that two and half feet?
I would think you answered your own question. Does it break when you cut normal height grass?

TURF DOCTOR
05-09-2005, 08:03 AM
2 and a half feet,this will make your belts smoking hot

grasshopperslc
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback :D ,and no the belts never broke off the mower when the grass was normal,but the belts we're torn & cut pretty bad so I'm not sure what to think?? :confused: I replaced the belts ever other month practically ;)

LCME
05-10-2005, 02:09 PM
floating decks are good :drinkup:

jbell113
05-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I had a 52" Scag walk-behind with a floating or some people call them hanging decks.And I found that when I would hit a bump the deck would jump? :dizzy: And in some case's the belt that went from the deck to the engine broke off and I was driving slow.This happened with the deck at 31/2" and 4".So I want to know if any one else had this problem?? :confused: Oh and the grass was around 2 1/2' tall so that might be a problem.
This has nothing to do with a fixed or floating deck . They both use belts and pullies ..... the problem is grass 2feet tall.

grasshopperslc
05-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys I think your right. :rolleyes: Two foot grass is insane. ;) But that was a while ago and I sold that mower,but I do know that floating decks are fine :D

Thanks again guys!!! :waving: