PDA

View Full Version : Mower paint

Glenn J
05-09-2005, 12:05 PM
The paint on my Bunton is looking a little tired. Any recomendations for paint? Will any metal paint be OK, or should I look for something that's more industrial?

SproulsLawnCare
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
I have pretty good results using Rustoleum paint on a variety of item around the house. It is an especially good product if the metal has become bare and covered with rust. Of course the industrial paints or OEM paints will stand up to the abuse better than the average metal paint, but Rustolem does seem to last a LOOOONG time! You may want to be sure and use the Rustoleum primer, it does make a difference. Rustoleum carries a wide variety of colors including color matches like JD green, International red etc. and a color match shouldn't be too hard to find.

iluvscag
05-09-2005, 12:34 PM
This has been edited. In very poor taste, think twice before posting something like this again.
Jodi

TLS
05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
If you use Rustoleum, make sure you allow a good day for it to dry!

Glenn J
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! Would I have better results with a rattle can or a brush on application?

SproulsLawnCare
05-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Thanks guys! Would I have better results with a rattle can or a brush on application?

I have been told by someone with professional auto painting experience that spray on is tougher that brush on, as long as you are willing to take the time to put on several light coats with all the sanding in between. If I were going to paint the majority of the mower, I would try to shoot it on with a paint gun. Otherwise I would use either brush or paint can. Paint can would give a smoother finish.

Glenn J
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to post some "before and after" pics.

Tharrell
05-10-2005, 02:49 PM
You can order oem paint and it's really good. I got some for my Bob-Cat. It also has a special tip to aid in the application. On another note, do you have a 200x like in your pic? I had a 250r I used to race.

Glenn J
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
No kidding...I had no idea you could order paint. Is the Bobcat green similar to the green Bunton uses? Where can you get this paint?

Yes, that's my 200X. 1985, pretty much stock. I love the thing. I just went riding in Mass a few weeks ago with a bunch of 4x4 machines and kept up no problem. The 250R is a really fast trike!

Tharrell
05-11-2005, 04:16 AM
You can order it from a Bunton dealer. On a side note, I had an '85 250r. I tested the 200x and the 250r behind the dealer and the 250r scared me so bad I had to get it! It really screamed with Pro Circuit and Paul Turner parts. I did a wheelie on a dirt road wide open, about 70 mph I imagine. I loved moto-cross but, flattrack was my fav. I cased it on a double and went over the bars. It chased me like a fridge and screwed up my right knee. Check out that paint, I'm telling you it's way good stuff. Make sure it's not old though.

Glenn J
05-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Cool, I'll contact one around here and let you know what I find out.

Yikes! Seeing that thing coming at you must have been a scary sight!