PDA

View Full Version : How much to sharpen on a blade?

jeffreyj77
05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I was wondering which performs better?

1) A blade that has only the outside 3-4" sharpened

or

2) A blade that is sharpened all the way from the tip to the center?

Didn't know if anyone has ever investigated this before!

Thanks!

Pecker
05-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I sharpen every part that was sharpened when it was new. Of course, I use mulching blades so there are two parts to sharpen.

KathysLGC
05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I would have to say for mulching you would want a longer edge but for regular discharging it shouldn't make much of a difference. I did a test for myself and sharpened my blades with the long edge, cut my lawn (with out hitting any sticks/roots) then took the blades off to see the condition of the edge. The first 2-3 inches had the most wear but down to about 4-5-6 inches of the edge showed signs of it cutting as well but not nearly as much as the tip of the blade. I would assume the longer edge also helps when going fast by reducing clippings a bit more.
I did this test because i had the same question only I have a blade sharpener and a bunch of blades. BTW I did this test on my 48" TTHP so it was done with 16" blades.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I do the same as ******, sharpen just like it was when it was new. Hell, just went and bought a set of blades today for $92.00 for my Cub ZTR. Must be going up, they were $82.00 last year.

aclassic
05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I do the same as ******, sharpen just like it was when it was new. Hell, just went and bought a set of blades today for $92.00 for my Cub ZTR. Must be going up, they were $82.00 last year.

seeing as how mower blades are made of steel and the price of steel has gone up, then it makes sense. pretty simple

vipermanz
05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
how many did you buy?? thats $30+ per blade

Jackman
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
how many did you buy?? thats $30+ per blade

For 92 dollars I hope he got more than 3 blades,,,,,,,, for my Lazer Z 92 dollars would get me 8 Excaliber OEM blades.......

Runner
05-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Matt, PLEASE tell me you were kidding about the 90 dollars for a set of blades!

As far as the question about the length of the edge, I believe the longer edge is going to have a few advantages, first, though it is no alot, there IS more cutting edge there. Now, just because there is say, for instance 30% more, that doesn't mean you're going to have 30% more mulching capability. The reason is, that as you get further into the center of the blade, you are losing speed. One BIG advantage of the long sharpening is though, is resistance. With a long sharpened bevel, there is no question that it will spin easier than a blunt thickness of a blade. I believe This can and does make a significant difference.

Appalachian landscape
05-10-2005, 12:27 AM
my exmark oem blades cost $11.11 each at the dealer.

lqmustang
05-10-2005, 12:39 AM
I don't think he is kidding on the blade price. I was quoted $26 each for factory Scag hi-lifts. I am presently trying a set of hi-lifts that I bought off mowtownusa on ebay for $7.50 each. So far, so good.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I am not kidding, not one bit. $30.81 per blade from my Cub dealer in Lennon, Runner you probably know who I am talking about, dont need to give out the name of the company, been very good to me. Even the guy behind the counter thought the price was high and a joke, even asked his boss who confirmed it. He then tripled check it to make certain. These are factory blades, hi-lifts.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey Runner, I only caught the tail end of this report on NBC 25 Sunday night but I thought I heard your company name sponsoring some play houses with Home Depot or something. Did I see that or were my eyes and ears playing tricks on me? Just curious, thought I heard Ground Control in the report.

Planter
05-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I was wondering which performs better?

1) A blade that has only the outside 3-4" sharpened

or

2) A blade that is sharpened all the way from the tip to the center?

Didn't know if anyone has ever investigated this before!

Thanks!

I saw a study in one of my hort classes some years ago that showed the first few (I think it was 2) inches do all the cutting. Wish I could find it, but I've moved twice since then.