PDA

View Full Version : Toughest season to find customers

martyman
05-09-2005, 05:51 PM
My area is saturated with new guy's :dizzy: I put an ad in my local paper this year and It was surrounded buy a dozen other ads...I think I got 6 calls and they were all very cheapy people, that never called back. I went and got a big sign for my trailer and that has helped to get me one new customer. I'm really starting to think that in a few years I won't be in business if it keeps up like this.

South Florida Lawns
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Have them spread the word of your services. You wold be amazed how well word of mouth works.

martyman
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
This is my 7th year in business and most of my customers are from word of mouth...finding new customers is getting tough because there are just too many lawn cutting companies.

martyman
05-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Just got off the phone with a customer that I've had for 4 or 5 years and he dumped me for a company that is willing to do his property for half what I charge him.

out4now
05-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Wait awhile. There will be plenty of start ups and lots of dropouts. Guys that don't show up or don't stick enough into equipment or whatever. Keep up the quality and try as best you can to hold down your costs. Do not lower your price, that is what will destroy most of the other guys. Since employment really on seems to be "picking up" on paper there are tons of guys out there now. Just this morning I saw 6 different LCO's on one street. For this area that is higher than usual. Normally 3 different ones.

Shawns Lawns
05-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Just got off the phone with a customer that I've had for 4 or 5 years and he dumped me for a company that is willing to do his property for half what I charge him.
what was the half charge and could you give level D service for that amount? :waving:

The mayor
05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Word of mouth is the only thing that works for me.

martyman
05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
what was the half charge and could you give level D service for that amount

I was cutting his grass for $40 per cut (acre property with a lot of lanscaping and trees...someone quoted him $20 per cut. I work on my own and have no employees so for him to cut at $20 he will not make money for a lot that large, so no.

RICHIE K
05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
More than 90% of our business is word of mouth

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Tn Lawn Man
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Every year when the heat hits many companies drop out.

I really hope this happens this year because growth has been very slow. I was expecting more.

martyman
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
It has been a slow grow season.

lawnprosteveo
05-09-2005, 10:35 PM
ditto here....I've scaled back to a solo gig..laid off everybody..only have my best customers. The price shoppers went with the "Cheap-as-free Lawn Service". I figure mow another 5 years, pay off all debts and buy a sailboat...then someone can mow my lawn!

mtdman
05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Get out now while you still can. Especially if you live near me.