PDA

View Full Version : ? For Dixon and Bunton Owners (ztr mowers)

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Do these mowers perform as well or better than some of the other commrecial brands, such as Scag, Exmark,etc.? Do they last as long? What can I expect? We are a small lawn service (40 yrds.) and are thinking about purchasing one of these machines . Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Jason Rose
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, I am a dixon owner. I have 2 of the 5023 machines, have used them for years ans really have yet to find a better replacement for them. Everything I have bought or demoed has been a dud in manyways compared to my Dixons. I cannot, however, really comment on the new models of Dixons that came out this spring. I have not ran one yet but I do know they use hydro pumps and wheel motors instead of the hydrostats that are on my machines. Better? I don't know. Iv'e never had a hydrostat fail yet and Iv'e put 2,000 hrs on one machine (sold it to my 'rents) 1,700 on #2 and so far 800 or so on #3.

What size were you looking at? 50", 60" or 72"? The 50" deck I have plenty of experience with and it does a pretty nice job. It is a little on the shallow side and running through tall thick grass can leave a trail of cut stuff laying on top sometimes. If you weren't bagging it wouldn't be an issue.

iluvscag
05-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Bunton I can see but Dixon stay far far away.

Jason Rose
05-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Bunton I can see but Dixon stay far far away.

Ok, do you actually have any experience to back what you just said here??? Iv'e never driven a Bunton and honestly they look just like a scag, exmark, toro, and so on and so on too me. If you have had a bad experence with the machine state what it was. If you have never used one then shut up.

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 7025 model w/ a 60" deck and 25 hp Kohler engine. I think it has about 231 hrs. and I can get it for around 3500-4000 dollars. How much would a machine like that cost new?

MP350
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I have a Dixon 5023 that has lasted for 8 years, they cut decent not like a Scag, Ferris or Exmark. It will not hold a hill if you are running it sideways on the hill, but all in all a good dependable mower. The 7025 has had problems with the drive belt falling off, but it will hold a hill pretty good. New it would cost around $ 6800. And I have never tried a Bunton.

Jason Rose
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Ahhh, I have ran a 7025 as well. Ditto about the drive belt! I lost it once while mowing but was able to fish it back on no prob. on the lawn and got going again. The 2nd time it came off it was broken. Had to release the hydros and a buddy and I nearly killed ourselves pushing it back up on the trailer. I wonder if they found a fix for that belt problem? Surely they have... That was 4 years ago that I tried it. I really liked the cut and it handled wonderfully. Of the larger commercial machines Iv'e used I honestly liked it a lot. The unit I used was a demo, but was also being used by the owner of a greenhouse, also part owner of the dixon dealership. I think it had around 300 hours or so.

grassmanvt
05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
don't fear the bunton, its everything the others are and then some.I've had deere, toro, and now five buntons. A few minor problems but nothing major. Never run a dixon though so its hard to compare. Also, if you have seen or run a bobcat mower, its the same as those.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
We just picked up a Bunton 52" 19hp ZTR for $6500.00

At first I thought the 19hp was not enough but it mow's VERY well and mow's just as good in the tall wet grass up here in Ohio. I have seen and demoed the Dixon and they are no where near the commercial mower the Bunton is. You have to see the blade spindle's on the Bunton. They are huge and very dependable!

Spend the Money and buy the Bunton, you will not be sorry!!!

Travis Followell
05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I agree. Spend the extra money for a much heavier duty machine that will last you longer and most likely have better dealer support.

Jpocket
05-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy a DIxon, Get the Bunton they have been around for years, The mowers just don't quit, I have one that is 20yrs old (w/b)I could still use it everyday if I wanted to.

Lawn Masters LC
05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Just my 2 cents, but, I demo'd 61" Bunton ztr and bought 2 61" Scags. 1 turf tiger and 1 tiger cub. Much better handling on hills, much. I crashed the bunton into a wall, the Scag hangs right in there. A lot to say for a mower that mows well, safer to the environment (spinning turf) and buildings, haha!