PDA

View Full Version : Worst helper ever

South Florida Lawns
05-09-2005, 06:39 PM
My friend wanted a job she was 16 at the time and needed money so i gave her a job picking up hedge trimmings and using the blower and 21'' wb she was an absolute pita I guess i was expecting it would actually work but she complained about everything she said she actually just wanted a nice sun tan.lol i have no idea what i was thinking

out4now
05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Are you implying that women can't hack it or just that you expected that from her based on her personality?

South Florida Lawns
05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I guess i just expected too much from her thats all.

Zr2_thunder
05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I dont think i would ever employ a friend, its more trouble then what its worth.
besides that they will have the mindset that they can get away with murder because there your friend.

Jason Rose
05-09-2005, 06:55 PM
If she was cute, I'd forgive her. lol

out4now
05-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I dont think i would ever employ a friend, its more trouble then what its worth.
besides that they will have the mindset that they can get away with murder because there your friend.
I think you hit this one pretty good. While some may be the exception to the rule I bet many feel this way.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I think the biggest thing when ever anyone wants a job in our industry is the first thing they think is "I'd like to work outside". They don't actually realize it is hard, hot and dirty work and at the end of the day you are ready to fall on the floor. It's not all sun and fun.

proenterprises
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I will never employ a friend again. I used a friend last fall to help me with cleanups, and it didnt turn out very well. He seemed to think that since we were buddies, he could just hang out.

Shawns Lawns
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I think the biggest thing when ever anyone wants a job in our industry is the first thing they think is "I'd like to work outside". They don't actually realize it is hard, hot and dirty work and at the end of the day you are ready to fall on the floor. It's not all sun and fun.
i agree :waving:

JimLewis
05-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Are you implying that women can't hack it or just that you expected that from her based on her personality?

I don't know what he was implying, but I'll be happy to imply it!

I've hired plenty of women as workers over the years. None lasted over 2 months and most couldn't last a week. Not that there isn't some big brute of a woman someone who couldn't do it. But I haven't met her yet.

The first one we hired had to put on new lipstick between every stop. That was hillarious.

martyman
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
The woman thing is BS. I help a couple that run a business that does very large properties. His wife is in her 40's and can keep up with me trimming. I would rather work with her than 99% of the useless younger guy's that moan/*****/smoke and drag there feet.

HOOLIE
05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Did she give you the classic employee line..."Can we stop by a store?" Hate when they ask that. Really sets me off.

greenwithenvylandscape
05-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I payed to move a friend from Cleveland down to Fl and he didn't last 3 months. All it did was cost me alot of money.

Gravely_Man
05-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Never mix friends and business. By not doing that you will avoid a lot of issues and problems.

Gravely_Man

Pro-Scapes
05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Its about like loaning money to a friend or realative. Usually a bad idea. I can't rememeber how many times my wifes brother has asked for money from people while his wife sits home all day. I finally had to tel her no we can't help your brother no more.

On the other hand I have a friend who works for me on occasion and busts his butt and does a great job. I pay him accordingly. I think that's a pretty rare case tho. Usually just doesn't work out well at all

arkylady
05-10-2005, 02:20 PM
The first one we hired had to put on new lipstick between every stop. That was hillarious.

You don't hire the girls that are wearing lipstick and have perty painted fingernails :D

northwest lawn
05-10-2005, 05:00 PM
my girlfriend is my best helper works hard. doesnt *****. doesnt even wanna get paid. cant beat that

jbell113
05-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know what he was implying, but I'll be happy to imply it!

I've hired plenty of women as workers over the years. None lasted over 2 months and most couldn't last a week. Not that there isn't some big brute of a woman someone who couldn't do it. But I haven't met her yet.

She just wanted to look good for the bushes LOL

Steppenwolf
05-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I am to the point that I only want women to work for us. They show up on time,want to do a good job,proud of their work.Two have been with us for 15 years and the new one,this is her fourth year.The young bucks come and go, out partying all night,gal pal problems etc. But as always if you get the right people you have it made.

cantoo
05-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I have a friend whose boyfriend just started as a helper on a landscaping and cutting crew. She was jealous because he was going to get to work outside all summer and get a great tan. Now she's complaining because he doesn't get home until dark and when he does get home he's dead on his feet. I told her I could take his place at home.

lawnman_scott
05-10-2005, 10:05 PM
My friend wanted a job she was 16 at the time and needed money so i gave her a job picking up hedge trimmings and using the blower and 21'' wb she was an absolute pita I guess i was expecting it would actually work but she complained about everything she said she actually just wanted a nice sun tan.lol i have no idea what i was thinking
This is not the worst worker ever by a long shot. Even if she was useless, at least she showed up so you could see if she was useless. Around here most dont even show. I have hired guys for the next day, and they dont show. And for full time permenant jobs.

BOTURF
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Iam sure Jodi could work circles around most guys , iam surprised she hasnt resonded to this thread yet

TheKingNJ
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
you know what my guy did today. he put my trailer on but he didn't lift up the lock as the hitch hit the ball. he brought the crank up thew the chains on and hopped in the truck. didn't think to check it because it's probally his 6th time putting my trialer on. thing dragged from the chains about 30 feet before i noticed. i though it was riding really low becuse i had 3 yrds of top soil in my truck.

lawnprosteveo
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I agree completely.... wouldnt hire family either.

LawnBrother
05-10-2005, 11:52 PM
my girlfriend is my best helper works hard. doesnt *****. doesnt even wanna get paid. cant beat that

Right on, man. My girlfriend busts her a$$ helping me and won't let me pay her.

wacamaster
05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
90% of my workers have been friends. And 90% of my workers have been good ones. Never had one not show up. If I can get a worker to show up, I can make him a quick efficient worker who does the job right. Some of you complaining about your help might not be training properly. You HAVE to communicate with them. If you see them trimming to short... let them know. If they are going to slow, show them how to do it faster. They will catch on.

nelbuts
05-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Worst or dumbest?

Years ago I hired a guy who on his first day was cutting islands at a shopping center. Well we had to bag it back then and the bagger clogged. I looked over and the guy was pulling the grass out of the shute. With the engine running!
I walked over and told him that I could not work with anyone that stupid and he was fired. Gave him a twenty and sent him home right then and there. Oh and yes he had experience! :blob3: