PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on necessary equipment

DeWitt Lawncare
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
I need some input to help me solve this problem I've had for the last couple years.

I've got 30 residential accounts. (all I want at this point) I have a 36 hydro w/b, a 52 float w/b, and a 60 ztr. I really like the z, it stripes great and it's very productive, but I only use it on a handful of accounts. My question is, would I be better served selling the z and getting say a 52-54 hydro w/b?

The reason I don't use the ztr on other accounts is that I don't like the turf tearing issue that goes with a z. On 1/2 acre residential lots, I think a Z is overkill. For you guys with tons and tons of experience, do you think that a 52 hydro can be as productive as a z in a residential setting? I think that it can be based on the fact that you can probably turn a hydro w/b around quicker than you can a z. ( by quicker, I mean quicker without tearing turf.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Carl

dvmcmrhp52
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
With half acre lots I wouldn't use anything but A Rider.

Can a 52" Hydro walk be as efficient as a Rider on this size lot?
Most likely, but at the end of the day the operator won't be as efficient...............

lawncare4u
05-09-2005, 08:19 PM
In my opinion,if it's possible why not use the ztr as you say and the wb when necessery!It sounds as you have a good combination of mowere to cover a varity of yards.I think I would set tight where you're at. :cool:

lawn_pro
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I would sell the Z, 30 residential accounts will not pay for all of that equipment. Use the two walk-behinds and make some cash and build your business, you should be done before noon using the walk-behinds...solo..just advice to save you some money.

Itsgottobegreen
05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
A 52" wright stander. Faster than the walkbehind. Almost as fast as a ZTR. Plus the operator is still nice and friendly at the end of the day. Because he wasn't walking.

The standers smoke everything else on the tight properties. Plus they still can hold their own on 2 to 3 acre lots. (which I used mine for mostly)

TClawn
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
wow, I use my Z on every property I can get it through the gate. maybe the turf scuffing is operator caused?

if you don't lock up the inside wheel and always keep it moving you should be ok. or if the ground is really wet, you can turn by doing a three point turn.