PDA

View Full Version : How would you diagnose this?

dpullen4
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Lawn is in its 3rd year and has some bare spots primarily due to some concrete work done last fall and a few dog spots. I was just wondering why most of my lawn is pretty consistent except for a few patches of the real dark thick green stuff.

What should I do? BTW, I realize the yellow spots are dog marks, but the real thick dark green stuff doesn't coincide being around the dog spots. The dog is now taking treats to neutralize the ammonia and not burn the grass. Works pretty well.

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Have you fertilized and maybe more fertilizer landed in those spots?

pines
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Lawn is in its 3rd year and has some bare spots primarily due to some concrete work done last fall and a few dog spots. I was just wondering why most of my lawn is pretty consistent except for a few patches of the real dark thick green stuff.

What should I do? BTW, I realize the yellow spots are dog marks, but the real thick dark green stuff doesn't coincide being around the dog spots. The dog is now taking treats to neutralize the ammonia and not burn the grass. Works pretty well.
Top dress w/ topsoil & seed/fert/straw. Make sure fert is starter fert>

dvmcmrhp52
05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but by looking at the pictures the "dog spots" sure look like they coincide with the "dark green" patches...............

dpullen4
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but by looking at the pictures the "dog spots" sure look like they coincide with the "dark green" patches...............

Just in those couple of patches, but the yard as a whole, no.

dvmcmrhp52
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Just in those couple of patches, but the yard as a whole, no.

O.K.
Any chance the "other spots" are old dog patches?

dpullen4
05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
O.K.
Any chance the "other spots" are old dog patches?

I don't think so. She does almost all of her duties right off the patio where the spots are pictured or in the ver back of the yard. It's pretty scattered throughout the yard.

I don't think it's spots of extra fertlizer. I could understand a couple spots, but not like this.

Runner
05-09-2005, 09:28 PM
OK. If it's not dog spots, chances are it is something under the soil surface, such as some sort of organic material. Many times, there can be pieces of wood, old roots, and/or other debris that is brought in with the topsoil when installed. These roots and/or pieces of debris decompose and release nitrogen. This will cause the discoloration in the grass. As a matter of fact, by the third picture, I can almost bet that is what it is. It looks much like fairy ring to me, except that it appears to be a full circle. This is a direct indication of tree roots, where a tree used to be. (I know,..you are saying "You think?" LOL). In ine of te other pictures, this one concerns me a little, because it looks like there could be a bit more going on, there. It looks somewhat like some early or mild stages of chinch bug damage. I wish I could see it up close. It may even be Red Thread, but I just can't tell without seeing it up close.
The pic with the brown spots are definitely dog spots. The tell tale sign of this is not the spot itself, but the dark green area aroung the burnt spot. I hope this helps.

Triple R
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
My opinion dark green, also dog spots. I have had similar spots in lawns with dogs, dark green spots are usually growing faster than the rest of the lawn. I usually fert lawn to even out the green.

Mower For Less
05-09-2005, 10:39 PM
You need to sharpen your mower blades also, the grass is obviously torn and not cut, and that dont help anything out.

Kevin

dpullen4
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
You need to sharpen your mower blades also, the grass is obviously torn and not cut, and that dont help anything out.

Kevin

Interesting. Is that what I should expect out of a brand new mower? I just cut it for the first time with a brand new Ariens ZTR. Before anyone says too much, it isn't for commercial use and it is rated at 18,200 fpm, which is in line with any other commercial mower out there.

dvmcmrhp52
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Interesting. Is that what I should expect out of a brand new mower? I just cut it for the first time with a brand new Ariens ZTR. Before anyone says too much, it isn't for commercial use and it is rated at 18,200 fpm, which is in line with any other commercial mower out there.

New blades typically aren't that sharp..................

Appalachian landscape
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
If it's not dog poo, then maybe it's urine. I've seen dogs poo in the same place all the time, but never urinate in a controlled area. Urine can burn patches and fertilize others. Sometimes the urine is more diluted so it doesn't always burn.