PDA

View Full Version : How to cut efficiently which a Gear driven walk behind?

christoff
05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
I know walk behind 36" / 48" and bigger decks save you time cutting, but are there any ways to cut almost as fast as a Hyrdo drive walk behind. For Instance , say your cutting a a yar which is 100X100. What is your route to complete this fastest? You can't just do the one lap around the outside, because after every time you turn around you will leave a bit of grass uncut. So what do you guys do? 2 or 3 laps around the outside first? cut your lines then do your laps.

Chris

Houston's
05-09-2005, 08:38 PM
2 or 3 laps around the outside first? cut your lines then do your laps.

Chris
thats what i do :confused:

Tn Lawn Man
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I have a hydro and I still do two laps around. It make the turns just that much easier.

mkwl
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
2 laps around with my Bob-Cat 48" belt drive, 2 or 3 laps around with my Toro Proline 36" belt drive.

Tharrell
05-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Do the laps around last, that way you clean up the turn around marks.

Fareway Lawncare
05-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Buy Dual Hydro's.....Doubles Production and Reduces Fatigue on Smaller Props.

Instant Turns and Instant Reverse Are Invaluable....The only Benefit to a Belt Drive is they are Cheaper to Buy...You Always Get what You Pay For.

mhunt
05-10-2005, 01:12 AM
i always do a couple clean-up laps first because the stripes cover up the cleanup laps and gives a better presentation.

lawncare3
05-10-2005, 02:53 AM
i always do a couple clean-up laps first because the stripes cover up the cleanup laps and gives a better presentation.

Smart man... Me too :)

christoff
05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
bump to the top

MTR
05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I know walk behind 36" / 48" and bigger decks save you time cutting, but are there any ways to cut almost as fast as a Hyrdo drive walk behind. For Instance , say your cutting a a yar which is 100X100. What is your route to complete this fastest? You can't just do the one lap around the outside, because after every time you turn around you will leave a bit of grass uncut. So what do you guys do? 2 or 3 laps around the outside first? cut your lines then do your laps.

Chris

Yes, belt WB can cut efficiently BUT you won't hold that efficiency very long during your day cause "fatigue" setting in, once fatigued your productivity goes downhill... I know cause I myself use both hydro and belt.
I will never buy a belt ever ever again. Get a twin hydro WB and a very comfortable control system and a x2 velke and you are set or a Stander or a Z. Belt is for your backup or your own yard not for a primary long-term living.

geogunn
05-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I do one time around only then it is the stripe pattern with a 48.

GEO

RobH
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I think you are basically cutting the lawn the same way whether you use a belt drive or a hydro WB. You can do one or two passes on the outside first or go around the outside at the end to clean up the turn marks.

Like mentioned already, the hydro will reduce the amount of fatigue.

However, if you get your 3 pt turns down really good with a walk-behind you can cut almost as fast as a hydro. Especially if the property is flat. Once you involve some hills, then the hydro makes it easier to turn around for the next stripe or pass. Less muscling of the machine on your part.

kc2006
05-11-2005, 04:14 PM
2 laps around and then the pattern. When i worked for a company we used all hydro walk behinds but now I have a belt drive, I've learned how to make a 0 turn without messing up the turf, I know alot of guys have to do the 3 point turn, (start to turn, stop back up go forward to make a 0 degree) but I can swing it around and not mess up the turf, this helps alot with time also. As soon as i can afford it I'll be getting a z or a hydro walk behind, fatigue is very bad on belt drive, 5 yards and my arms are dieing, i used to cut 8-9 hours with the hydro and I was still good.

MTR
05-11-2005, 11:53 PM
As soon as i can afford it I'll be getting a z or a hydro walk behind, fatigue is very bad on belt drive, 5 yards and my arms are dieing, i used to cut 8-9 hours with the hydro and I was still good.

Imagining 10 lawns a day, 5 days a week? That is 50 lawns cutting with belt WB? I got it done half of that with a 36" Metro a couple seasons ago and will never ever do it again, the 52" TTHP saves my body and biz. Now I can pick up lawns like feeling nothing without feeling that exhausting fatigue.