PDA

View Full Version : anyone feel like this?

lawnhoney
05-09-2005, 09:35 PM
I have a question for anyone that might feel the same as I do, did you ever go to a job just a mowing and trim and see the yard in a mess ,I mean leaves from fall and just sloppy looking and find yourself doing extra clean-up because you feel it is a reflection on your work if you leave it and do only what was quoted on for the job.I mean not just on the lawn but messy around the bushes and flowers too. the leaves on lawn get cleaned up as you cut but then the other stuff looks bad . let me know how you feel thanks

QualityLawnCare4u
05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Lawnhoney, done it plenty of times. Clean out from under the bushes, clean all leaves out of beds and lots of extras that was not asked for just for the simple reason its my signature and I must feel good about it. Makes you feel good when you go into a real sloppy yard and when you leave it really looks good. BTW, like the name you are using, :D

jbell113
05-09-2005, 10:23 PM
happens all the time ...all i do is blow it out in the yard and mulch mulch mulch

nocutting
05-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I do the same "Everytime" if its a senior or a single or somebody that just makeing it, but not if theres a new Jag in the driveway! :)

shepoutside
05-09-2005, 10:34 PM
This is a cost that I factor in. I leave the yard perfect, I will not take shortcuts. I have a reputation that I don't want to lose. Took to long to build it up. If it even costs me money to clean up and do a great job, it's worth it to me.

chefdrp
05-09-2005, 10:34 PM
i do it all the time too. Just part of my thing. Its a reflection of my work.

olderthandirt
05-09-2005, 10:42 PM
NEVER! I price what the customer wants. and if they only want a mow and go thats all there getting. If there to cheap and don't give a rats azz about the appearence of there home neither do I. I'm in this for the money, not the feel good at the end of the job, Cash makes me feel great.

lawnhoney
05-09-2005, 10:50 PM
I feel the same as all of you thanks and gladu like my name lol, the only one I dont agree with is olderthan dirt (sorry) I understand the monet part but I wnat to create a good rep as we are just starting out and in the same sense dont want to be taken advantage of if u know what I mean :rolleyes:

lawnhoney
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
sorry about the sloppy spelling I never got an A in typing :p

olderthandirt
05-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I feel the same as all of you thanks and gladu like my name lol, the only one I dont agree with is olderthan dirt (sorry) I understand the monet part but I wnat to create a good rep as we are just starting out and in the same sense dont want to be taken advantage of if u know what I mean :rolleyes:
You are being taken advantage of :dizzy: your doing work you could and should be getting paid for. And the rep your creating is that you will work for free. Those customers are sitting there laughing at all the free work you are providing them and when someone comes along a few dollars cheapers you will be replaced and the new guy will start giving out free work becoase he wants to impress and build his rep. Screw building a good rep I want to build a bank account and you can't do that by giving away work that you can get paid for. Remember these customers really don't care what there property looks like or they would have hired you to clean the beds in the first place.

sheshovel
05-09-2005, 11:11 PM
I agree with olderthandirt completely

1MajorTom
05-09-2005, 11:18 PM
The key is in your profile:
just my husband and myself , we are doing this for extra income....

do this as your only source of income,and you'll see that giving your services away for free won't put food on your table.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Well, actually lawnhoney, olderthandirt and Major Tom are right. We SHOULD do only what the customer wants because folks will take advantage of you. I just have trouble leaving a yard sloppy looking. However, Im not going to spend a LOT of extra time if Im not making a decent profit off the yard. Sad thing is, some folks just dont care what their yard looks like as long as they can walk to the car or mailbox. Its good though that you feel that way, just dont let clients take advantage of your "caring" attitude. I know I do extra things I should not do but thats just me. Enjoy the ride here, it gets bumpy sometimes! :D

QualityLawnCare4u
05-10-2005, 12:06 AM
BTW, you need to read olderthandirts post sometime back "do you really care about your customers" and think about it!

daveintoledo
05-10-2005, 08:51 AM
but i will offer them a deal on cleaning up, or whatever needs done, sell it to them......

ECS
05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree with olderthandirt also. Although it is important to leave your signature for your work, at what point do you stop giving away work for nothing. Try selling your time to clean up the rest of the mess is about all you should do. Only do the job you are hired to do.

lawnhoney
05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi Mac , I totally hear what you're saying and I got your point I do agree. : :blush:

lawnhoney
05-10-2005, 10:53 AM
just read all of your posts and didnt want to give the wrong impression , money is important and quality work cant be beat. I would not do this on a regular basis . I was just looking for your thoughts and I definetly got them! Thanks for the input ! :rolleyes:

Lumberjack
05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Working for nothing is bad for your pocket and leaving a yard that does not look good is bad for your reputation....

adjust your estimates accordingly.....

anothertractor
05-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I have been thinking about this myself. Most of my customers at this time want the grass knocked down and that is it. I am waiting for those customers that do care. I have been doing only what the customer wants and charging them accordingly. I try to sell them other services like blowing out the beds and do a spring cleanup. They say No thanks. I have been known to remove the magnets from my truck so people don't see me servicing these horrible looking properties.

olderthandirt
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I have been thinking about this myself. Most of my customers at this time want the grass knocked down and that is it. I am waiting for those customers that do care. I have been doing only what the customer wants and charging them accordingly. I try to sell them other services like blowing out the beds and do a spring cleanup. They say No thanks. I have been known to remove the magnets from my truck so people don't see me servicing these horrible looking properties.
The problem with maintenance is most home owners can do it themselves. So all you have to offer them is time, time to do other things than work in there yards. So you need to sell your biz that way, as a time saver. Ask what they would prefer doing, spending the day on the boat thats sitting in there drive or the camper that there or work in the yard? Have a photo album with you to show them before and after pics of what you can do to make there house look great. Don't count on a web site they have to see it as your selling it to them. Sell it as a way for them to make money not pay out money, great looking landscaping increases property value up to 20% in some cases so instead of paying you a few thousand they are really making 15-20 k. payup Its all about sales 90% of what maintenance consist of is SALES if you can't sell it then you can't do it :D
BTW- nothings sweeter than honey :p

T Edwards
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
otd-spoken like a true business veteran. I'm proud of ya.

eshreve1234
05-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Olderthandirt is my LS hero. Honest and no BS.

I do not give anything away anymore. Have one customer who is an OBGYN, wanted me to haul away her leaves from last fall which she has placed in piles. I said sure for $95. She goes "but you are hear already and it will cost you nothing more than your TIME". I asked her, if someone comes in for a checkup and gets a full physical does she bill more, "of course I am providing more service...ohhhh". I got paid.

Expert Lawns
05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Every lawn I mow has MY name on it. I don't leave till I'm satisfied. The bar is high for me, so I know if I leave satisfied, chances are they are too.