PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an edge on a decorative concrete curb.

DennisF
05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
I have about 10 customers with concrete edging in the landscape beds. It's that curved edging that resembles a curb at the street. Most of them are very happy with string trimming along these concrete landscape curbs. One of them asked me today to cut an edge between the grass and the edging (a gap) so that the St. Augustine wouldn't grow up over the curb between mowing's.

I know what she wants, but a stick edger will only chip and crack the edging and a string trimmer won't cut the edge deep enough to keep the St. Augustine away from the edge.

I told her that I won't use the stick edger...for obvious reasons... and she doesn't like the finish that the trimmer leaves.

I also told her if she wants a nice crisp edge on the landscape beds (that I can maintain to perfection) then she needs to have the concrete curbs removed. She said that she likes the curbing and doesn't want to remove it.

Now... this is good customer and I don't want to step on her toes...but I don't think I can give the quality that she wants without the risk of chipping or cracking the curbing.

Any suggestions?

LightningLawns
05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
It won't chip or crack that curbing is really popular where i'm at and always use an edger on them. never had on chip or crack, they are made very well.

Runner
05-09-2005, 10:53 PM
It can be done.....just be careful and don't drag up against excessfully.

Mountain Peak
05-09-2005, 10:53 PM
I agree, I use my edger on the curbing as well. Looks really nice.

traman
05-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Dennis don't know how you are using your edger on them ,IE are you going forward like you do on sidewalks ? try going back wards i have found its alot easyer this way cutting around gator tail curbing

DennisF
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I went back and re-cut the edge with the stick edger. It looks excellent, but the work is slow and tedious since there is about 200 feet of curbing to edge. Looks like it'll take an extra 10 minutes or so each week, so I'm going to bump the price by $10 per week and see if she bites.

Thanks for the suggestions.

crosson lawn
05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
once u get the gap set you can put the wheel on the outside of the curbing and keep it out from the curbing. i originally start out slanting out away from the curbing and follow up with a rounded edge with the trimmer.

precisioncut
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Just use the edger, gives a better edge than the string trimmer. That's what I use and all my clients have some sort of concrete edging.

nelbuts
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok Dennis I am not going to pick on you or anything but for gosh sakes it is concrete. We have it all over the place here and use edgers just like on sidewalks. It is no different. I have it all around my house and throw the edger on it all the time. I bet you are running your weedeater at an angle. That is not the way to do it. Cut and ege with edger and then weed eat to same height as your mower. Gives a great look. Oh and if you knew how to edge with your weedeater then it looks even better after the intial edging.