PDA

View Full Version : Edging gap

nascar3888
05-09-2005, 09:53 PM
When edging, do you find your customers have different ideas as to how far back from walk-ways you should be? I typicly edge about 1/2 - 3/4 on an inch but have had customers requesting a good inch, while others would like to see just a slight gap between turf and cement

chefdrp
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
i just got an edger and just do it the blade width.

WoodBrothersLC
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Most of our lawns aren't more than .5 inches pulled pack. We have a few of them that we have mowed for 4 years now and the gap, even though we haven't meant to, is almost near an inch. The particular yard that I'm talking about has a sidewalk leading from the doorstep to the street and it's shaped like an "S". We have that grass pulled back almost an inch and it actually does look good even though we try not to pull it back that much.

Mower For Less
05-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I have had customers request extra large gaps in the edging. I explain to them that it is an edge, not a trench. Usually the ones that bring it up are the ones that edge once or twice a year and want it done as a one time service.

We do not accomodate any special request for edging gap, you get what you get when the edger does its job.

Kevin

shepoutside
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
In my area, we have a European area, and this is what they want, 1"+. I have a power edger, that I have modified, to accept 2 blades, and set washers between for whatever gap they want. Takes little time, customers are happy :)

Drew Gemma
05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
1/2 to 3/4 what the heck it is only as wide as the blade or trimmer line thats it. Its an edge a transiton from one plane to another. NOt a dam ditch. That looks crappy. I picked up one this year that was edged back an inch. I told them it was extra to fix that problem I don't want ppl seeing me on that crapy type work.

GreenUtah
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Edging should be the width of your blade and no more. You open dirt to sunlight, add water and you get weeds, every time. Same goes for "ramping" the edges with your trimmer. Thin the grass, allow weeds to jump right in. If you have a spray program, this will be the number one reason for call backs, weeds on the edges, usually from something like this.

Runner
05-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I was just going to reply with the sme things. You get weeds, and in many cases, a hazard for people to trip into. I've seen some people's idea of edging as an inch deep trench that is just right for some older person to twist their ankle in.