PDA

View Full Version : Children on riders...are the parents stupid??

impactlandscaping
05-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Sorry Jodi or Charles if you have to move this, I just wanted more people to see this..Each year we hear the horror stories of children injured or killed while riding on the lap of an adult on a lawn tractor, I almost saw one the other day. I was mowing a church account, and the neighbor stopped on his new Troy Bilt tractor to ask about the Standers. He was really proud of his new mower, and then we went back to mowing our respective yards. About ten minutes later, I looked over and he has his son, maybe 2-3 years old, riding with him on the tractor. He was sitting on the outside of the guys right thigh, saddle style. They went to turn and he almost dropped the little boy. If that wasn't bad enough, a minute later, he got too close to a low branch on a pear tree, and about ripped both their heads off. I was about ready to go ask the guy if he was crazy or just plain lacking in common sense. I figured it wasn't my place, so I kept mowing. I had to fix my crooked line...lol..Please, if you know anyone who takes their children on a lawn tractor with them because they think it's " fun", tell them to think again..sorry for the rant...been working too much...

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-10-2005, 05:51 AM
I have been known to take my kids for quick rides on the mowers but never with the blades engaged. As paramedic I have seen the accidents. You just have to be smart about things. My dad use to ride me on his mower as a child, and now that he is gone those are some of my best memories of him.

You are right in most cases, those people don't get the danger thing......

Derek

David Grass
05-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately some memories include getting fit for prosthetic limbs or worse. A friend of our's is in that business, and says that they get the most business from "good ole dad" riding child on the mower.

The mayor
05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I never heard of a kid falling off and being run over. I always see the news where the parent backs over their kids.

leadarrows
05-10-2005, 07:38 AM
I usually stick up for a parents right to give there kid a ride on the mower. But last week I saw something that shook my faith in my fellow man to the core. This guy had a mower with blades engaged stuck in a ditch. It was about to flip over as he rocked it and flung his body to one side to keep it from rolling over. In his lap was a kid no more than 3 years old. Right next to the highway in a steep ditch. I stopped my truck and ran over to them and graped the mower and pushed it out while holding it down. What I wanted to do was grab the kid set him off to the side and whale the tar out of this guy. My dad and grandad gave me lots of rides on farm equipment as a kid but they never put me in such a position of danger like that. They used it as an opportunity to discuss safety issues with me. I wasn't allowed to ride when they were working until I was old enough to hang on at least. Some people have absolutely no sense at all.

65hoss
05-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Anyone riding a kid with blades engaged is stupid. Riding them around, just riding with no blades engaged...ain't no problem.

jt5019
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I take my daughter for a quick ride up and down the sidewalk sometimes when im unloading the trailer..Never with the blades engaged

Itsgottobegreen
05-10-2005, 11:09 AM
My father used to do that with me. But we where in the middle of a 3 acre flat lawn with 3 trees in it. I know I won't ever be doing that when I have kids.

I have been with several of these types of calls with the fire department. Some people are just stupid. :dizzy: Here in Maryland, nothing is flat. So why would you add the extra weight of a kid, plus their weight is also not being balanced over the center of the machine.

I did see a john deere garden tractor once with a smaller seat attached to the bigger seat with a little seat belt on it.

Mowerboy04
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
i have taken my brother for rides around the yard but like every one elese is saying never with the blades running.

jbell113
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Well I must be the stupid one here cause I ride and cut with my kids every now and then but I dont advertise it to them.. I do have a few rules though they have to follow....must wear shoes, never sneak up behind the mower while im cutting......never get close to the deck with your feet or fingers even when the mower is not running......must be sitting in between my legs..... cannot get on or off the mower when the blades are turning and must wait for them to stop spinning before getting off...We have a level lot with very little hazards and if I think that I will be cutting any thing rough or uneven I make them get off.I have told them all the horror stories associated with mower accidents. I do believe it can be done safely but the older I get (37 by the way) the more I worry about the possibilities of them getting hurt. I would say most of the accidents that occur are probably with people who just dont realize how dangerous they are and dont think about the dangers invovled but, If a person understands the dangers and sets forth rules and educates there children then I believe in the right circumstances it can be done safely.

mtdman
05-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes, parents are stupid.

Smalltimer1
05-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I know of a guy who had his fingers chopped off because he thought he could adjust the belts while they were engaged......not so--obviously.

I've been driving mowers by myself since I was 6 years old. When I first started I was only allowed to drive in 1st and 2nd gear with blades off. Then when I was 8 I was allowed to use the blades and use 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.

Last week I saw a 11 year old kid running wild on a brand new Crapsman in his neighbor's yard, apparently they're paying him some pocket change to mow there. The kid is gonna hurt himself the way he's going. He drives over the gravel driveway with the blades engaged throwing it all over the place. He runs into the trees and bushes going wide open and drives extremely wreckless. I felt like going up there to talk to the property owners about it, but determined that I'd probably get run off by them simply saying that I was trying to take that job from that 'poor kid'. I almost feel like it'd be saving his life if I step up there next time I see him mowing there.

Remsen1
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Some of my fondest memories were of riding on dad's lap and learning how to drive our old JD112 (I still have it by the way) and riding along on much larger pieces of equipment. It was always done safely, there were never any obstacles. He would ask me to hop off and watch from a distance when there was. He would always shut the blades off if I came over to talk or to go for another ride. He would throw himself under the tactor to protect me from it. What pizzez me off is parents who are too dumb for their own kids good, like depicted in previous replies. But another thing that bothers me is if somebody who didn't know me were to say, "you shouldn't have your kid on there with you". I respect the danger of my machinery 100% and I will teach that to my kids and I will do so by giving them the opportunity to learn how to act while in the presence of and while operating machinery. They will learn that going under tree branches and around obstacles is not a place to have a passenger or spectator. I feel the same way about kids + firearms, atvs etc. They should learn respect of potentially dangerous activities rather than be sheltered from them.

Smalltimer1
05-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Some of my fondest memories were of riding on dad's lap and learning how to drive our old JD112 (I still have it by the way) and riding along on much larger pieces of equipment. It was always done safely, there were never any obstacles. He would ask me to hop off and watch from a distance when there was. He would always shut the blades off if I came over to talk or to go for another ride. He would throw himself under the tactor to protect me from it. What pizzez me off is parents who are too dumb for their own kids good, like depicted in previous replies. But another thing that bothers me is if somebody who didn't know me were to say, "you shouldn't have your kid on there with you". I respect the danger of my machinery 100% and I will teach that to my kids and I will do so by giving them the opportunity to learn how to act while in the presence of and while operating machinery. They will learn that going under tree branches and around obstacles is not a place to have a passenger or spectator. I feel the same way about kids + firearms, atvs etc. They should learn respect of potentially dangerous activities rather than be sheltered from them.

Make sure you hold on to that JD 112.....it's a collector's item now..... :drinkup:

Remsen1
05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Make sure you hold on to that JD 112.....it's a collector's item now..... :drinkup:

It's one of the Patio Models. White 'n Yellow.

NorrisG
05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
I had a neighbor about 4 doors down from us several years ago that had her kid on the mower with her as she was mowing. The woman took the mower out of gear and got off to get a stick or something, she left the kid on the mower...... somehow the mower jumped into gear, the kid fell off, the mower ran over the kids legs. Just so happened a friend of mine that was keeping his horse at their house came driving up just as it happened, he took them both to the hospital. He said the kid nor the mother said a word the whole way- guess they were both in shock. Several surgeries later the kids fine. They sued the manufacturer of the mower and got some sort of settlement.

Itsgottobegreen
05-14-2005, 12:58 AM
If you ever want to sell it. I got a barn full of JD garden tractors to keep it company. I don't have a patio tractor in my collection.

Smalltimer1
05-14-2005, 01:05 AM

I'll just say if its in great original shape (and the S/N checks out as an actual patio tractor) you could get $2500 easy, $1500 for one in average shape, only if you know the right people...... :cool:

Remsen1
05-14-2005, 09:33 PM
It's in average shape, maybe a little better than average. It's been repainted, JD white. I'm sure the serial numbers match, this tractor has been in my family since 1978. It belonged to our church before that. The Kohler has been freshly rebuilt, for the third time. Once in '85, again in '96 and the last time was just a couple years ago. I only use it every once in a while "for old time sake". I still till my garden with it. I'll have to post a picture of it if I can remember. I don't think I'll be selling it, I couldn't bear to part with it, too many memories. It is a part of how I fell in love with lawn work. I can remember as if it were yesterday, when I was 7 or 8 years old getting pissed at my father cause he mowed the church's lawn without me :)

I've also got a 60's vintage JD 110. This one I would say is in above average condition, but it's not a patio model.

turfmann
05-15-2005, 08:41 AM
There was an incident on Cape Cod last summer in which the father backed over his kid with the blades running. There was no need for an ambulance. Now the safety feature that turns off the blades when the mower goes into reverse makes sense. For most homeowners it's a case of "there but for the grace of God go I"

Lodogg2221
05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
I know people do it, some here said they do. My opinion and a lot of others as well, is NEVER take a kid on a mower with the blades engaged. NEVER. No amount of prevention can prevent all accidents. All it takes is once. I have a friend who fell off a rider and was run over. He was 4. He could hold on, as someone said, but apparently not good enough. He now has a prosthetic leg.

This tread reminds me of a safety ad Deere put out a while back. they say "How do you stop a 200-mph blade?" "You dont."

The danger is enough without the blades moving.

Precision
05-15-2005, 10:28 PM
you don't have to be a parent to be STUPID.
I have them tailgating my trailer all the time. Or the brainsurgeons who cut me off then stop short in traffic. Or the genius who has a flatbed truck with his dog scrambling to stay on as he rounds a corner. Or the guy who popped his left tire, then pulled over, and rested the jack on the pavement and proceded to wrestle with the lug wrench while standing in traffic, or the people who change their tire to the donut, then drive that until it goes flat, or the guy who passed me as I stopped for a red light yesterday -- crossed the double yellow into oncoming traffic to get around me. I caught up to him at the next light 1/2 mile down the road.

The world is full of stupid people. Unfortunately, Darwin has been vexed.

grass disaster
05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
i saw one today, a little guy on the saddle of a guy while mowing. the kid must have been about 2.

not good!!

Jason Rose
05-16-2005, 12:03 AM
I can't even remember how many times I rode on my grandpas knee as we mowed the lawn on the old Sears Craftsman 8 hp 38" cut mower with the deck wheels that actually heald the deck off the ground. 3 speed and no brakes at all. No hills though. And my Grandpa was a stickler for saftey. He would always make sure I was not in the way of the dischargs side of the mower and would remind me often to look away even if I was some distance away. Yeah, everything about what was happening was dangerous but times were different even then.

I think too many people are making kids too soft these days, making them afraid of everything telling them that they can be hurt doing just about anything.
I have a couple lawns I mow where the kids are like this. Granted I don't want them out there following me or even outside for that matter, but for a 5 year old boy to cower in fear and start bawling when I mow, trim, or even have the blower idling is nuts. I know what's caused it too. One very over protective mother that's taught him to be afraid of everything so he dosn't ever get hurt.
Sorry, but getting hurt once in a while is part of growing up...

I know I won't worry about losing the lawn to him when he gets old enough to mow, he will either be in front of a video game or a computer 24/7 because he wil be afraid to go outside and get a bug bite.

RedWolf
05-16-2005, 05:00 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday.I was sitting in my chair in front of my house having a cigarette when i was hit in the face with a rock.I lost my right eye thanks to a 16 year old kid that didnt walk the lawn before he mowed.I also rode on a rider with my father but the blades were off and he would have the tractor in first gear.Ive see guys riding with there kids in 4th or 5th gear.Thats just asking for trouble.

aclassic
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
when my mom had my older sister, she was mowing the yard on a rider and had my sister on her back (on one of those gerry carriers) she was mowing around a swingset and caught a swing and it pulled the front end of the mower up in the air. it ended up stopping before toppleing over backward, but if it had it wouldve for sure killed my sister, maybe my mom too