PDA

View Full Version : Snapper rear engine riders

Tinkerer
05-10-2005, 03:14 AM
I think the best cutting mower I ever had was a Snapper rear engine rider. Not a good mower for cutting lots of grass fast of course but that big 30" blade sure did a nice job.

Eddie B
05-10-2005, 05:35 AM
I tell ya, my 28" rider sure has taken a beating. Truely the best mower I've ever owned.

Oldtimer
05-10-2005, 07:35 AM
In 1983 a 28" Snapper RER was my primary mower and I was very proud of it. Most of the LCOs in my area were walking and I was riding.

ABrown
05-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I used A 30'' 8hp for along time when I first started in high school. It left the best looking cut of any mower I have ever seen.

br549oicu8
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
I used one for a long time.....always thinking of Jenny...
Lucky my Bubba Gump Shrimp does so well...huh huh.....
Signed, Forrest Gump

Pro-Scapes
05-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Rode a 30" hi vac for years. Great mower. When the engine died I gave it to grandpa and he dropped a new honda 10 on it and still runs it. Mower has to be 20 years old. Things gettin really scary to ride now lol. Way more flex that I rememeber. Local dealers still got em here. Man they cut nice but dang they were SLOW

swonkeg
05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a snapper RER 26 inch cut with a 6 hp I bought for $50.00 that my wife uses to cut about 1 acre a week at the house. Was going to get rid of it but wife said if it goes she would not mow around house any more.... :dizzy: It leaves a very nice cut but it is slow.

oughtsix
05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
The single blade does a much better job giving an even cut! With a hivac blade they do a great job of sucking up leaves as well as sweeping the driveway when you have a bagger attached.

mkwl
05-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I've got a 1979 Snapper 33" rear engine rider with the original 11HP Briggs engine. It is the single blade, and it has a pretty good quality of cut. I very rarely use it since I now have 36" and 48" WB mowers. I used it on 7 accounts up until 2 years ago, and it did a pretty good job. It's still in very good shape consitering it's age.

Jay Ray
05-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I been wondering how they do in high grass. One guy told me they will obliterate pine cones, but he never mowed high grass with his. Anybody have an opinion on this?

dishboy
05-11-2005, 01:11 AM
I tell ya, my 28" rider sure has taken a beating. Truely the best mower I've ever owned.

Have you tryed mulching with the 28?

Eddie B
05-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I been wondering how they do in high grass. One guy told me they will obliterate pine cones, but he never mowed high grass with his. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Mine doesn't do too well in high grass. Its an 8hp model, 11 years old

Eddie B
05-11-2005, 09:20 PM

I'm not familiar with a mulch kit for the snappers. The mower does an excellent job sucking leaves, and i've always used it when doing cleanups.

FLYonWALL9
05-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Years ago I kept the grounds at my church with one, it was slow as everyone says. The place took me a week to do and was my only job, so start on monday cut til friday start over on monday.

AS you said it would just BLOW UP a pine cone like an M80 but in high grass it would bog, you really had to go much slower. I bagged and also discharged, the bagger worked great on the one I ran. They are VERY nice machines and lasts forever

Watkinslawnservice
05-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I am a small part time 1 or sometimes 2 man operation. What do you guys think of having something like this just for a clean-up machine? If I had a small rear engine mower with a bagger maybe I could still figure a way to attach my JRCO rake to the front for spring and the leaf plow in fall. Right now I do it all with a 36" WB because I want to be able to fit in most of the gates and maneuver in tight spots.

Glenn J
05-13-2005, 01:32 PM

I have an older Snapper LT16 with a 32"(I think) deck. I bought the Ninja Mulching kit for it a few years back. It works pretty good when the grass isn't too high. When it gets really high, it clups up a bit.

lampeslawnservice
05-13-2005, 03:23 PM
An apartment complex I mow asked me if I knew anywhere to get rid of mowers. They had a Snapper 12.5 hp high vac they use to mow with but it supposedly just quit on them. I took it off their hands put some good gas in it and a new battery and it fired right off and runs great. Gave it to my to be father-in-law (brownie points) deck looked almost brand new not a scratch on it. Also got a snowthrower, snapper push, and stihl weed eater out of the deal. All but the snowthrower run like a champ. Thanks for the equipment. Didn't have the heart to tell them I got most of it running.

pgoulding
05-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I have a Snapper 8hp 198?, original B&S engine, runs and cuts like a champ. Cuts really, really well. Im 14 so i use it to haul my gear throughout the neighborhood I think i look really sexy on that beast :cool2: . Great mower though.

Eddie B
05-15-2005, 06:37 AM
I have a Snapper 8hp 198?, original B&S engine, runs and cuts like a champ. Cuts really, really well. Im 14 so i use it to haul my gear throughout the neighborhood I think i look really sexy on that beast :cool2: . Great mower though.

I've actually pulled my 7x14 landscape trailer with my snapper, had a 48" and push mowers loaded on it, that little 8hp engine really pulled it. Got a lot of attention from the neighbors too. Popping wheelies with a full bag is always fun as well. Clutches don't last too long with heavy use tho.