PDA

View Full Version : Just bought New Hustler REAR Discharge Model

HydroGearHead
05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
WhooooHooooo I LOVE this mower, just got it today from my dealer its a 27HP Kolher with a REAR DISCHARGE deck!!!! this thing cut like you would'nt believe I already had it in bahia that was very tall and thick and this thing flys, almost no clumping an dim talking super thick bahia its got a baffle on the front especially for hard to cut grass like bahia and you just raise it up and the blades actually are below the deck so it doesnt push the grass over. I mow alot of horse farms and this thing is just amazing!!! Its a new model and not alot of dealers have them or even know about them, i had to drive about 1.5hrs north to a really large Hustler dealer and I got lucky they had just got one in, paid 9200 plus tax for the beast but worth it!!

retired a 1994 Dixie Chopper 25hp Kolher 3,127hrs and smoking (literally) sold it for parts (thought I was going to miss it but not after getting the Hustler) But, I did loose a bet with my friend that I was going to get 3500hrs out of the orginal engine(rebuilt completly once)..owe him lunch now--Kohler makes a good engine but it just wasn't going to make it to 3500 unless I added about a 50qt oil reserve)

oh and Hi, my name is Jim and im new here at posting, but i've been a regular visitor for about 3 years, i just got excited enough to register finally and post!!

John Gamba
05-10-2005, 10:34 AM
WhooooHooooo I LOVE this mower, just got it today from my dealer its a 27HP Kolher with a REAR DISCHARGE deck!!!! this thing cut like you would'nt believe I already had it in bahia that was very tall and thick and this thing flys, almost no clumping an dim talking super thick bahia its got a baffle on the front especially for hard to cut grass like bahia and you just raise it up and the blades actually are below the deck so it doesnt push the grass over. I mow alot of horse farms and this thing is just amazing!!! Its a new model and not alot of dealers have them or even know about them, i had to drive about 1.5hrs north to a really large Hustler dealer and I got lucky they had just got one in, paid 9200 plus tax for the beast but worth it!!

retired a 1994 Dixie Chopper 25hp Kolher 3,127hrs and smoking (literally) sold it for parts (thought I was going to miss it but not after getting the Hustler) But, I did loose a bet with my friend that I was going to get 3500hrs out of the orginal engine(rebuilt completly once)..owe him lunch now--Kohler makes a good engine but it just wasn't going to make it to 3500 unless I added about a 50qt oil reserve)

oh and Hi, my name is Jim and im new here at posting, but i've been a regular visitor for about 3 years, i just got excited enough to register finally and post!!

Is the deck anything like hustlers 251K and 260K?? Can you post a pic.

John

mowerconsultant
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Is the deck anything like hustlers 251K and 260K?? Can you post a pic.

John

John,
Other than the deck being rear discharge there are no similarities in this unit compared to the 251 and 260 units of the past.
This unit has the right hand blade turning counter clockwise.
I have attached a a spec sheet that has information, specs and pics.

Pj

HydroGearHead
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I forgot to mention about the counter-rotating blade, very effective more so than you would think. Do you know if they will make it with other engine choices like the liquid cooled or EFI??

Thanks Hustler for making a machine theat puts money in my pocket!! I was a Dixie Chopper fan but after running the Hustler...its Dixie what??

One other question do you know if on the Kohler 27 I have to decarbon the head every 500 hrs like I used to on my 25?? thanks

Tharrell
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Looks good. Trimming on both sides is a plus for sure.

John Gamba
05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
John,
Other than the deck being rear discharge there are no similarities in this unit compared to the 251 and 260 units of the past.
This unit has the right hand blade turning counter clockwise.
I have attached a a spec sheet that has information, specs and pics.

Pj

Thanks PJ!!
Can you post a pic?? My computer is having a hard time downloading it.

John

mowerconsultant
05-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Lets try this......
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/RearDischarge.jpg

mowerconsultant
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Another......
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/rddeck.jpg

John Gamba
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Thank you.

How does it cut where i live??

John

captken
05-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Thank you.

How does it cut where i live??

John

WHERE does it cut where I live? :sleeping:

Richard Martin
05-11-2005, 05:40 AM
I am a Dixie guy but this may be the deck that a lot of people, including me, are looking for. I had thought about this a lot but the thought of carving up a 800 dollar deck for something that may not work scared me. PJ, if you get a chance haul one of those babies down here in late August and we'll run it through some of my serious crabgrass infested lawns. If we don't get any clumps or cowpies then I'm sold.

TLS
05-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Richard.

Mark this on the calendar.

I agree with you 100%!!!

Wish I had a dealer close by.

John Gamba
05-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Can anybody post a pic of a lawn cut by this mower???? I'm looking more for the discharge then the cut it self at this time.
John

TLS
05-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm slightly concerned with the baffle-less deck myself.

And the availability of different LH cut blades.

pwarren4
05-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I would be very interested in a 48-52" model mounted on a hydro-drive W/B with pistol grips.

Any chances something like this being built?

:confused:

TLS
05-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Sounds dangerous to me!

pwarren4
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds dangerous to me!

DUHHHHH! :dizzy:

Your right - the feet probably wouldn't appreciate the debris.

Maybe a flap/guard would make it possible? Something like I heard others talk about using a truck mudflap to strip with.

Probably not - nevermind :rolleyes:

Distorted
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
You are correct that all dealers do not know of this option. I have been looking at a Super Z 72" diesel, which the website says is available with the rear discharge option, but my dealer, who seems quite knowledgable otherwise, had no idea about this feature. I am appreciative to hear from someone who has, and likes, the option. It would be excellent for someone like me that has no need of a bagging feature. He quoted the regular side discharge, which he has in stock, for $12k. Is the rear discharge an added cost, and I wonder if mulching kits are compatable?

The unit I tried was exceptional quite considering, and seemed smooth too with no scalping apparent in the short test, but I am waiting to try the similar Ferris unit with rear discharge also to compare. Both have the Cat (Perkins) diesel engines, which I consider to be a real selling point.

HydroGearHead
05-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Distored,

I tried both the CAT Hustler and the CAT Ferris. First, the Ferris I tried even on the demo unitd over heated whenever I pushed the unit. I cut horse farms and we have alot of tall grass and I really work the mower hard. After running it for about 35mins I got the overheat alarm and after doing some asking around the Ferris CAT doesn't like to be pushed hard this is a common problem from what I have been told. The dealer said there is an update kit that takes 5-8 hrs to install on the Ferris that should fix it and the unit I was demo-ing had not been updated. He said it invloved new coweling, new motor mounts, new radiator and was just a massive job to do and he had got the demo from another dealer so that's why it wasn't done prior to me using it. There are alot of the Ferris units around my area becasue of all of the open cutting we do here. I thought the Diesel was for me but after runnig the Ferris I was very dissapointed. I then tried the CAT Hustler which you can get the rear deck on (i wanted a 60" which is available but was demoing 72" machines). The Hustler was much better engineered and seemed to have more power even though it was the same engine as on the Ferris. The way the power gets to the deck is the reason I think, and thats what my dealer said which by the way the same dealer sells both the Ferris and the Hustler, The Hustler has a shaft the goes to the deck whereas the Ferris has a massively long belt. The belt stretches and after even just 1 day of running it was obvious that the blades on the Ferris were slipping in the tough, tall wet bahia grass and the belt was almost $70.00 and looked like a pain in the arse to put on So I just ruled the Ferris out, plus it was going to cost 1,000 MORE than the Hustler and had less warranty and alot less speed so I really don't reccomend the Ferris. Also, even though the Ferris I ran (IS5000) had the 72" Deck and the Hustler Diesel had the 72" Deck too, the Hustler felt like it was alot a smaller and more nimble whereas the Ferris was sloppy and felt like I was piloting a huge boat around the property. I would compare the Hustler to a sports car and the Ferris to a literlally a boat you can really feel a difference in size even though both machines are basically the same size. In the end I went with the Kohler 27hp becasue after demo-ing a 27hp Hustler it had all the guts I needed it was just that good that I decided not to spend the extra on the Diesel. Also, I got over 3,000 hours ouf of my last Kohler with very few problems (i did a complete rebuild once) The only thing that was a repeat problem was the stator which I replaced about 4 times in 3,000 hours but I have been told that isn't an issue anymore on the engines as the desing has been changed. As far as the deck being extra for the rear discharge, the 27 Super witht he regular deck was 8800 and the rear deck they wanted 9200 for. I probably could have beaten them down but i just didn't. Happy Mowing!! Oh and the pictures that PJ posted...the mower I have looks differnt it has bigger fuel tanks and a fuel level sigh built intot he tanks I think his pics are pre-production the actual machine looks alot nice and has better gas tanks. Also, the rear discharge model is about 8" onger frame wise than a regular deck machine.

Roger
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Interesting deck design, but how about the clipping cover and distribution? I suspect that most of us use forward/reverse passes with side discharge. That means on the forward pass all clippings get thrown into the uncut grass. Those clippings are further chewed/cut when passing through the deck a second time (some may be swept back to the cut side, or may be thrown further into the uncut side). The clippings from the forward pass are sufficiently recut so that they don't add much of a clipping burden to the finished cut. Obviously, the clippings from the reverse pass are thrown onto the cut side, having been only passed through the deck one time. However, they are spread over a wider area than the width of the mower. Being spread over a wider area the coverage is greater than the deck width, meaning a more sparse cover than a one-for-one (deck width/cover width).

I'm sure we have all done some mowing in a single direction (no forward/reverse passes, but perhaps round-n-round). From my experience, the clipping cover is so much heavier than the forward/reverse pass sequence.

With the rear discharge deck, aren't ALL clippings only processed one time? Isn't the clipping cover width equal to the mowing deck width? If so, then the resulting clipping cover for heavy cutting, or even moderate cutting, may be unacceptable.

The huge advantage of the forward/reverse sequence is the reduction of clipping cover, BECAUSE half of the clippings have been processed multiple times. The rear discharge deck seems to take away that advantage.

Am I missing something? I'm sure interested in the idea, but for the reasons above believe it would never work for me.

Distorted
05-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks Hydrogearhead, that was very informative and may save me some grief. I would have expected a diesel to run cooler naturally. I understand that Ferris is retooling now for an incresed hp in the Cat engine, and I will ask if they also have redesigned their cooling system. I was also quoted ~$1800 more for the Ferris from the Hustler, but that suspension is a draw for rough mowing. I need more demo time in the seats obviously.

captken
05-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi Distored,
.....The Hustler was much better engineered and seemed to have more power even though it was the same engine as on the Ferris. The way the power gets to the deck is the reason I think, and thats what my dealer said which by the way the same dealer sells both the Ferris and the Hustler, The Hustler has a shaft the goes to the deck whereas the Ferris has a massively long belt.......

I read with intrest about your demo time with the new Hustler Super Z Diesel/Ferris.
I found it very informative.

However, I believe you made one mistake with "the way the power gets to the deck." Hustler's website says that the mower has a hydraulic pump drive from engine with electric clutch. Hydraulic motor mounted in the deck. I haven't seen one up close yet though.
I know you will be Very Satisfied with your purchase. Good luck and be sure to tell us about your experiences with it.
kenny.

Here is the link www.hustlerturfequipment.com/pdf/SZ%20Diesel%20Flyer.pdf

mkirby
05-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Interesting deck design, but how about the clipping cover and distribution? I suspect that most of us use forward/reverse passes with side discharge. That means on the forward pass all clippings get thrown into the uncut grass. Those clippings are further chewed/cut when passing through the deck a second time (some may be swept back to the cut side, or may be thrown further into the uncut side). The clippings from the forward pass are sufficiently recut so that they don't add much of a clipping burden to the finished cut. Obviously, the clippings from the reverse pass are thrown onto the cut side, having been only passed through the deck one time. However, they are spread over a wider area than the width of the mower. Being spread over a wider area the coverage is greater than the deck width, meaning a more sparse cover than a one-for-one (deck width/cover width).

I'm sure we have all done some mowing in a single direction (no forward/reverse passes, but perhaps round-n-round). From my experience, the clipping cover is so much heavier than the forward/reverse pass sequence.

With the rear discharge deck, aren't ALL clippings only processed one time? Isn't the clipping cover width equal to the mowing deck width? If so, then the resulting clipping cover for heavy cutting, or even moderate cutting, may be unacceptable.

The huge advantage of the forward/reverse sequence is the reduction of clipping cover, BECAUSE half of the clippings have been processed multiple times. The rear discharge deck seems to take away that advantage.

Am I missing something? I'm sure interested in the idea, but for the reasons above believe it would never work for me.\
I was wondering the same thing! We only cut once a week and the grass is very long! The customers prefer it baged but forget it for the price they want>

HydroGearHead
05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
captken

Thanks for pointing out my error about the deck power, you are correct it was a hydraulic drive to the deck on the hustler. I also demo-ed the Kubota and they use the shaft drive to the deck and gear box, sorry I demo-ed alot of mowers and didn't bring up all of the ones I did, the 2 best were the Ferris and Hustler. The Kubota was CRAP just my opinion!!! Thanks for putting me straight I didn't mean to post wrong info, but the bottom line still is the Hustler gets more power to the blades and theres no issue with the belt stretching. Also, the suspension seat on the Hustler in my opinion does just as good of a job on the bumps and the suspension on the Ferris. Ther Ferris had somewhere around 30 grease fitting too and the Hustler just had a couple. Also, the Hustler has automatic reversing cooling fans on the motor so when grass gets stuck ont he radiator it can blow itsself off--very cool idea!!! BUT!!!!! DON'T stand behind the thing with an open can of coke when they reverse cuz you will get all covered with grass, lol.

Also, about the rear discharge, its an option an dnot for everyone, my goal is to cut as much grass as fast as possible and cut quality doean't really matter--ya I want the best i can get BUT im doing farms and need to go through alot of grass fast and the rear deck is awesome for that and I htink has a really nice cut much better than anything else for my operation.

Tonyr
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Thank you Hydrogearhead for this thread!

I'm very interested in this mower myself, rear discharge on a 34 hp diesel,
my scope is large lawns, e.g 1 acre to about 10 acres max at this time in any one job, this is lawns and vacant blocks, and parks, 2 of the 3 need top notch finish from usually a bit overgrown, vacant lots up to 3ft at times stalky grasses.

I currently have a 60'' 28efi toro, current model, while this mower is great on the finish work, it struggles with the long stringy stuff.
I'm wanting the impossible really, a great finish mower, that can also handle paddock grasses....

This new hustler deck has my attention....please if you get a chance can you take some pics of machine, and some different before and afters of work it does please?

I'm really wanting to see how it leaves clippings....

As said before, with side discharge we can run over the clippings to cut them up fine so they are hidden, especially on lawns....

My interest is whether a rear discharge deck is more for paddock, councils etc, and not for contracting finish mowing, this is what I'm trying to establish.

I can't demo one here, we don't get them in my country for some time yet.

I look forward to more updates from your yellow beast.

Envy Lawn Service
05-14-2005, 01:20 AM
PJ,

Now that will be awesome IF it works. I sure hope so. I'm already spoiled on the 2-side trim ability of decks with mulch kits. I also can no longer stand throwing clippings in stuff and all over stuff, including me, while side discharging. I'm also all for a little slower single pass mowing instead of high speed double pass cutting. Much easier on me and the machine.

I'd like to demo one of these and see how they do. I've yet to see a rear discharge deck that could deliver a lawn quality / lawn worthy quality of cut.

Oh... one question... how much longer is this unit than the Standard Super Z-SD?

HydroGearHead
05-14-2005, 05:39 PM
I'll be happy to take some pics, I do some really nice St Augustine areas too and the cut is really good. Let me have a few days an dI'll get them up for you.

The unit is about 6 or 8 inches longer than the regualr deck but more than worth it for trimming.

Lawnworks
05-14-2005, 06:29 PM
You are correct that all dealers do not know of this option. I have been looking at a Super Z 72" diesel, which the website says is available with the rear discharge option, but my dealer, who seems quite knowledgable otherwise, had no idea about this feature. I am appreciative to hear from someone who has, and likes, the option. It would be excellent for someone like me that has no need of a bagging feature. He quoted the regular side discharge, which he has in stock, for $12k. Is the rear discharge an added cost, and I wonder if mulching kits are compatable?

The unit I tried was exceptional quite considering, and seemed smooth too with no scalping apparent in the short test, but I am waiting to try the similar Ferris unit with rear discharge also to compare. Both have the Cat (Perkins) diesel engines, which I consider to be a real selling point.

Was that 12k for the 72" diesel model? I thought they were 15k or so. How does rear discharge do on manicured lawns? Leave any clippings?

John Gamba
05-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I'll be happy to take some pics, I do some really nice St Augustine areas too and the cut is really good. Let me have a few days an dI'll get them up for you.

The unit is about 6 or 8 inches longer than the regualr deck but more than worth it for trimming.

Thank You
John

Envy Lawn Service
05-15-2005, 01:17 AM

Likewise I will second what John says and thank you in advance.

Thanks for the length info also. That extra 6" is no big deal because the Super Z-SD is 6" or better shorter than most 60" ztrs. So that puts the rear discharge unit at normal size and still shorter than some.

:cool2: Can't wait for the pictures of the cut!!! :cool2:

Tonyr
05-16-2005, 10:51 PM
The more I look at the pic of the under side of this deck with the directional arrows the more I'm interested in the clipping dispersal/finish, especially when there is a lot of clippings.

just looking at it...the left blade will throw clippings out the rear and into the middle blade following the deck nose, so some clippings will be double cut as per like a standard deck, but the right hand blade throwing clippings into the middle blade and out the back....it seems from an uneducated point of view that in heavy cutting it will clog and clump between the middle and right blade, i.e the right blade is cutting clippings from the other 2, plus it's own, so the clipping layer/mat left would be lucky to be dispersed evenly, making
it undesirable for finish mowing.

I there were guides or something to help stop overloading of the right blade then it would be easier to understand...but...

I'm not knocking the deck, quite the opposite, I'm very keen and interested, yet confused on how it can work in finish mowing.

But no one has said it is for finish mowing have they....

Spose until we get pics from owners and Hustler and more people doing demos we won't really know exactly where they fit into the finish mow industry, if they do....

Another thing, what stops debris flying out the back making it just as dangerous as side discharging?

And say a stone coming out hitting the drive tyre and flying off in any direction?

I thought there would be a rubber defelector or something attached to the rear of the deck...maybe wasn't fitted at time of pic.

Please don't think I mean to be negative folks, I'm actually in the market it it does what I want, and ya goota be objective before ya look at big purchases.

P.J can you look into getting some work pics from this new deck please, preferrably in heavy conditions so we can see how the clippings are left, please, please, pretty please lol.

Hows it still going for you Hydrogearhead?

Tonyr
05-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Wouldn't the test be interesting if with this new rear discharge deck if someone ran it with double blades per spindle, e.g highlift/ mulch blade combo, or even meg-mos!

I guess in time these things will be tried....but the drama will be finding the anti clockways suitable blade lol. for the right spindle....

Will Hustler be bring out more than 1 blade type for this deck...anyone know??

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 07:13 AM
I dont think anybody knows more about a rear discharge deck then hustler. John

Tonyr
05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
G'Day John!

Mate, how's it hangin bloke?

I'm just keen to see the results of some work to determine if it is best at finish mowing, or rough, or great at both etc...the only rear discharge I've seen is councils toro groundsmasters, and they sure don't leave a cut or finish acceptable in private or commercial works by guys like us.

I'm not comparing the 2 brands, just explaining my confusion as to how this deck works, and where it fits in our industry.

Good to 'see' ya again John, been awhile! :)

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
G'Day John!

Mate, how's it hangin bloke?

I'm just keen to see the results of some work to determine if it is best at finish mowing, or rough, or great at both etc...the only rear discharge I've seen is councils toro groundsmasters, and they sure don't leave a cut or finish acceptable in private or commercial works by guys like us.

I'm not comparing the 2 brands, just explaining my confusion as to how this deck works, and where it fits in our industry.

Good to 'see' ya again John, been awhile! :)

Howdy Back Mate!!!!!!!!!!! It been a LONGGGGGG time for you to Friend :waving:

I do think hustler is on to something :D I think you might have to give up the toro ;)

I do think you will like the deck for what you do. Better change your signature :p

Your Mate John

Tonyr
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
ha ha John, yeah mate, I think they are onto something too, am quite happy to add one here if it performes over 'ere.

That sig, ya right....damn toro has had far too much downtime in it's young life, I've lost a lot of work because of it, and dealers never stocking parts.

it's good, but I'm sure hoping hustler has got something even better up it's sleeve!

wish there were pics mate of what it can do, this is teasing lol!

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 07:39 PM
ha ha John, yeah mate, I think they are onto something too, am quite happy to add one here if it performes over 'ere.

That sig, ya right....damn toro has had far too much downtime in it's young life, I've lost a lot of work because of it, and dealers never stocking parts.

it's good, but I'm sure hoping hustler has got something even better up it's sleeve!

wish there were pics mate of what it can do, this is teasing lol!

I'm Sure PJ will fly out with the parts personally if you need them. He seems to be a stand up guy and can type better then i can :help:. I'm sure you will see some pics soon.

By Mate
John

Tonyr
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
hope so mate....bloody teasing now lol.

council called before, 8 parks reg. plus I'm in with 2 developers, plus my acreage blocks, I haven't mowed since early last week, and I'm stressin out, all this work and I'm not able to get it done, and we have had loads of rain....and dealer wouldn't give me a loaner, or let me hire their demo exmark, I don't reckon that's good support, bought 2 new toros in 2 years, but still nothing is easy.

Hustler is small here in comparison, I'm nervous going with them, dealer is a nice bloke, but they all are until they get the money then ya a nobody again, I hope they don't do this to me, he is maybe 5 hours away.

Only one way to find out!

Tonyr
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Before I go, what is your take on this deck mate?

A 'finish' deck, or more for rough areas where clipping despersal isn't that important?

OR both?

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Tonyr,

Somehow I missed the fact you have been having problems with your Toro. What's going on? Have a link to that thread of yours?

Anyways, quoting myself from before....
I'd like to demo one of these and see how they do. I've yet to see a rear discharge deck that could deliver a lawn quality / lawn worthy quality of cut.
....yes I'm with you on this. I'm VERY HOPEFUL but still yet have a lot of doubt about this machine as a finish mower.

Tonyr
05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
G'Day Envy,

the toro is ok, but just a bit too much downtime for my liking, all mowers wear parts and break down, that's expected, but this machine in the last 15 months has had a faulty rocker, solinoid,rocker cover seal, new efi, 3 idle pullies, 1 drive belt, stator, regulator, those expensive useless plastic clips they use to hold spindle covers on with, 24 bucks each! (bolts were cheaper) everything except the deck parts were warrantee, problem is dealer doesn't stock any parts, all have to come interstate.

It's currently in getting a new stator and regulator, 3 days in shop min.

As a performer, very happy with it,the deck is very good. The blade saddles are a disaster of an idea lol.

I'm to the point that all of this downtime loses me a lot of income, so either continue and get a name for being unreliable, or get another machine...it won't be a toro this time.

it has to finish mow well, and cut stalky paddock grasses well....this is why hustler's new deck has my attention, I'm going to go buy a camera and send to hustler, they might get some pics then, ha ha ha

If this deck ain't good here I might look at a tractor or something for my rougher jobs...prefer a mower though for transporting reasons.

hunter
05-17-2005, 11:30 PM
I dont think anybody knows more about a rear discharge deck then hustler. John

Wheel Horse used to make the only rear discharge deck. I still have a 18 horse 42 inch cut hydro mower with the rear discharge and mulch kit. Of couse I bought it in 1986.

It's a shame Toro bought them and never produced the rear discharge after.

Fareway Lawncare
05-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Envy's Correct...There's No way a Rear Discharge Deck like a Walker GHS could Ever be considered a "Finish Mower".

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Sorry mate, I've mucked up...when I said finish mowing I was referring to general ride on lawn work, i.e very neat finish as opposed to windrows, clumps etc like many little garden style tractor things do.

Over here the Walkers that collect grass are about as neat as a ride on gets, we call that finish mowing, but australia is quite different to you guys who have nicer grasses.

Like I call my toro a finish mower, hustler super z's, exmarks etc as finish mowers because they leave a great finish, though they maybe actually more a general purpose mower lol.

sorry bout that, i should of been more accurate with my terms lol, oops.

as opposed to say a super z on a lawn, any ideas what a rear discharge super z would do different, as per cut and clipping dispersal, neatness...?

Envy Lawn Service
05-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Envy's Correct...There's No way a Rear Discharge Deck like a Walker GHS could Ever be considered a "Finish Mower".
U on crack?

...and the million dollar difference between these is....
The Walker GHS is not a rear discharge deck.
The GHS is direct collection, the Hustler is rear discharge.
Here you are comparing a small twin counter rotating blade deck to a big 3 blade as well.

Big difference.

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Before I go, what is your take on this deck mate?

A 'finish' deck, or more for rough areas where clipping despersal isn't that important?

OR both?

I do belive its going to be the deck for you.they just need to get one out there.
John

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
G'Day Envy,

the toro is ok, but just a bit too much downtime for my liking, all mowers wear parts and break down, that's expected, but this machine in the last 15 months has had a faulty rocker, solinoid,rocker cover seal, new efi, 3 idle pullies, 1 drive belt, stator, regulator, those expensive useless plastic clips they use to hold spindle covers on with, 24 bucks each! (bolts were cheaper) everything except the deck parts were warrantee, problem is dealer doesn't stock any parts, all have to come interstate.

It's currently in getting a new stator and regulator, 3 days in shop min.

As a performer, very happy with it,the deck is very good. The blade saddles are a disaster of an idea lol.

I'm to the point that all of this downtime loses me a lot of income, so either continue and get a name for being unreliable, or get another machine...it won't be a toro this time.

it has to finish mow well, and cut stalky paddock grasses well....this is why hustler's new deck has my attention, I'm going to go buy a camera and send to hustler, they might get some pics then, ha ha ha

If this deck ain't good here I might look at a tractor or something for my rougher jobs...prefer a mower though for transporting reasons.

I feel your pain. Mate
John

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Wheel Horse used to make the only rear discharge deck. I still have a 18 horse 42 inch cut hydro mower with the rear discharge and mulch kit. Of couse I bought it in 1986.

It's a shame Toro bought them and never produced the rear discharge after.

Hustler has had two or three different style decks. some where the Uppercut and the ones on the 251K and 260K.

I remember the toro deck. Clump city.
John

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 07:41 AM
G'Day John,

this arvo, went to my dealer 1.5 hours away to pick up toro...guy still
working on it! I wait....he is having troubles.

he reckons I must of done something to it!

I says, did you put on new strator?
Him: yes.

I says, did ya put on a new regulator?
Him: Nup!

Me: Why?
Him, cause only told to fix strator, and regulators don't break!

Me, please can we install this new one (one I bought from another dealer $170) and see if it helps?

Him, spose...he mucks around....then turns to me and says, be stuffed,
the old regulator was stuffed!

I says, great!

He says....yeah but cause we fitted a new strator to broken regulator it
buggered it...new strator is now stuffed!

So, they gunna order another....but not a regulator just in case the new one
I gave is OK....hmmmmmm. talk about tight and no regard for my loss of income!

No loaner.......wouldn't even let me hire something. they promised I'd get a loaner when I bought, promises....lol.

If lucky may get it friday arvo , depends on 'stuff'....

I lost 2 k worth of mowing income this week....and already clients cancelling.

does toro care? Nup!

Think I'm getting a bit keener to get another machine, or get out,
can't keep going like this.

Got so much work on I'm going stir crazy knowing I can't get to it!

Wish the hustler bloke here would return my emails, I need a machine asap!

The above story ain't the 1st like this from my dealings with this company, bought 2 new machines in a row over last 2-3 years, big deal.

Sure hope hustler has a better grip of respect for clients and their business, I'll be spewing if they let me down too!

TLS
05-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Tony,

Isn't this TORO new? Warranty? What broke the stator? I've never heard of them just "going". Were you using a lot of lights or something that overworked it?

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
G'Day John,

this arvo, went to my dealer 1.5 hours away to pick up toro...guy still
working on it! I wait....he is having troubles.

he reckons I must of done something to it!

I says, did you put on new strator?
Him: yes.

I says, did ya put on a new regulator?
Him: Nup!

Me: Why?
Him, cause only told to fix strator, and regulators don't break!

Me, please can we install this new one (one I bought from another dealer $170) and see if it helps?

Him, spose...he mucks around....then turns to me and says, be stuffed,
the old regulator was stuffed!

I says, great!

He says....yeah but cause we fitted a new strator to broken regulator it
buggered it...new strator is now stuffed!

So, they gunna order another....but not a regulator just in case the new one
I gave is OK....hmmmmmm. talk about tight and no regard for my loss of income!

No loaner.......wouldn't even let me hire something. they promised I'd get a loaner when I bought, promises....lol.

If lucky may get it friday arvo , depends on 'stuff'....

I lost 2 k worth of mowing income this week....and already clients cancelling.

does toro care? Nup!

Think I'm getting a bit keener to get another machine, or get out,
can't keep going like this.

Got so much work on I'm going stir crazy knowing I can't get to it!

Wish the hustler bloke here would return my emails, I need a machine asap!

The above story ain't the 1st like this from my dealings with this company, bought 2 new machines in a row over last 2-3 years, big deal.

Sure hope hustler has a better grip of respect for clients and their business, I'll be spewing if they let me down too!

I wish i was there to help you. But one thing i do know Hustler is doing very well with customer satisfaction in the states. Keep us informed. toro is a big company and sometimes act's this way.
John

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 05:34 PM
PJ if your out there tonyr needs a rear discharge hustler in Australia. I can find the time to bring it out to him, i will need the mower, plane and a Banner :cool2: Please see what you can do :waving:

John

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Tony,

Isn't this TORO new? Warranty? What broke the stator? I've never heard of them just "going". Were you using a lot of lights or something that overworked it?

G'Day TLS,

the mower is 15 months old, done 350 hours.
Strator....don't know, no I don't run lights or accessories....they reckon they don't 'go' but councils new toro ztr did exactly the same thing, they just got an autoelectrician to wire up a car alternator system and bypass the problem....no problems since.

maybe toro thinks they don't break because their clients can't afford the downtime and mucking around so get it done privately....like the government doesn't really care about warrantee.

This will be one week at dealer, but last week it was down too, they said it was a battery prob, so I bought new batteries, cleaned every electrical connection etc, fresh feul....so technically this strator and regulator has taken 2 weeks of income away....but last week they denied it could be anything more than battery.

I don't know what could of broke it....but several posts earlier here I think I listed the parts that have been replaced/repaired already, quite a list!

These guys should of know to check stator and regulator before re fitting engine surely, and I've heard when one of these parts break, best to replace both! the regulator alone was $170....

I saw the mower yesterday, always kept well maintained....when they lifted engine out they cut wires and really done a messy job at reconnecting, I felt sick in the guts....the guy would lift the seat and throw i forward hard, i never do that, seat is heavy, hinges are weak, I lower the seat manually always, he drops it from full lift! time after time, like he hates it so much he is tryin to wreck it!

Said to wife last night, these guys are too rough, and they are killing a good mower, $24000 I paid.....be easier to go up there, clean it up and sell it.

no more toro for me....bitten twice, I learn...

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
G'Day John, ha ha ha.

be nice if it could happen lol.

problem when dealers promise to give loaners is they never do, I am to do 8 council parks next week, 9 acre developer park, and I'm running 2 weeks behind with my normal workload....and when I offered to hire a demo mower, they laughed at me.

Dealers can stuff a business so easily...can't meet commitments and ya gone.

They said best if I bought another mower, $23500....I laughed then! like hell!

Anyway, toro and it's non caring dealers won't get me again, no way.

Anyway....here is a reply bach from hustler usa about this new rear discharge deck, this should be helpful so some, but still no pics!

========

Tony,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I'll try to address all your questions:

The Rear-Discharge deck will cut as cleanly and because of our
counter-rotating RH blade discharges is much better than any other RD
deck on the market. BUT, because there is no baffling under the deck,
the grass is cut and discharged pretty much full length. Double-cutting
only blows the clippings around with hardly any re-cutting.

It does sound like our RD deck can help with the tall, stringing
grasses because we have an adjustable front wall on the deck that can
be raised to prevent grass from being bent over before it reaches the
blades.

In the final analysis, the Hustler Rear-Discharge Deck is best for
parks, ball fields, cemeteries, rough-cutting, and tall, stringy
grasses. It is probably not the best choice for lawn care contractors.

Sincerely,

Ken Raney

=================

well there ya go.....good for everything except lawn contractors....now I'm confused!

Still doesn't describe the clipping layout left, or how we can reduce clipping size. e.g mulch blades, and whether they will in fact make different blade designs for this deck. I reckon the clippings will be heaviest on the right side of the deck as 2 blades are throwing that way, he didn't comment....

I asked about a rubber flap to stop things getting thrown into the tyres and bouncing anywhere and to protect the underside of mower, he didn't comment.

I dunno....why can't they post more info, pics etc?

Lots of talk, theories etc on the forums about this deck, but they won't jump in and throughly answer everyones questions, or show what the machine can do, which everyone wants to know.

pretty slow service so far....imo....new product, I would think a company would be promoting it like crazy....

maybe I need a holiday, this is all getting to me lol.

mowerconsultant
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
I dunno....why can't they post more info, pics etc?

Lots of talk, theories etc on the forums about this deck, but they won't jump in and throughly answer everyones questions, or show what the machine can do, which everyone wants to know.

pretty slow service so far....imo....new product, I would think a company would be promoting it like crazy....

Cant post anything if we don't have it.
I posted what we do have in the beginning of this thread.
I am told we just got done doing video and photography on the RD units.
These units are so new most dealers don't know about them yet, heck we just sent out a new product bulletin on it a week or so ago.
As for a rubber flap, it is not needed, the back of the deck has a angled plate as you can see in the picture in the beginning of this thread, it deflects anything that comes out the back of the deck.
When I get the video and pics I will post them.
This unit is in high demand right now, I don't know of a single unit in the country that is not committed to a dealer for a retail sale.

Pj

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Cant post anything if we don't have it.
I posted what we do have in the beginning of this thread.
I am told we just got done doing video and photography on the RD units.
These units are so new most dealers don't know about them yet, heck we just sent out a new product bulletin on it a week or so ago.
As for a rubber flap, it is not needed, the back of the deck has a angled plate as you can see in the picture in the beginning of this thread, it deflects anything that comes out the back of the deck.
When I get the video and pics I will post them.
This unit is in high demand right now, I don't know of a single unit in the country that is not committed to a dealer for a retail sale.

Pj

Tony!!
Let PJ handle this one Mate, Hes a lot better then someone who sits behind a desk at Hustler.Wait for the Video!!!!!!!

John

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Thank you P.J, appreciate your reply.

I'm just frustrated with the current situation I'm in and wanting another machine yesterday lol.

just got a heated call from a developer who I work for, I'm in default with 2 of his properties and looks like I'm out....next week finds me losing 50% of my big work, and I'm already gettin cancellations from the private sector because of my downtime with a 15 month old mower.

I'm desperate to see this new deck, I'm desperate to buy another mower to stay in business, I'm just stressin out, don't take my comments as having a shot at you, but questions that have been asked about clippings etc could be answered surely?

Then suppose it doesn't matter, Ken says they are for more non high eye appeal areas, maybe not best for contractors wanting a great finished look, thats how I read it....basically a mini version of a slasher/bush hog as you call them...

anyway, can't wait to see what pics etc you have.

Envy Lawn Service
05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Tonyr,

I know this will be of little comfort, but know things actually could be worse for you.
I've been there and I'm not out of the woods yet.

Some days I think the all out scrubs got the right idea and I'm the one that's wrong....
Thrash the cheapest, junkiest pile you can get your hands on....
Rig it up when it breaks and run it til parts start falling off....
Then run it some more until it meets it's death....

Afterwards, push it off a cliff and let it rust in peace.......

Envy Lawn Service
05-18-2005, 08:30 PM
What Brands you have over there Tonyr?

Have you taken out a regular Super Z yet?

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 08:36 PM
ha ha ha Envy, yep, ya got a point mate!

starting to sound like me toro....run the ole heap off a cliff lol.

I've often thought, a propper run scrub business....should profit more if you can cover enough grass, be less overheads, and dealers like fixin home owner gear rather than commercial.

O no....what have we become thinkin like this ha ha ha

see ya in scrubville, no shirt, no shoes, bent shaft trim out window, mower hangin' out the back boot, I can just see it!

not silly either....if I sold my biz I could buy a really nice boat and pay a chunk off my mortgage, and still have income!

ya wally, no look what ya done! ha ha ha

kc2006
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Tony, if you can hold off I'd say get a Hustler. So far I'm very please just with the dealer and the company reps (PJ).

I went to the local hustler dealer yesterday and they're a real nice place, I talked about hustlers with them but they didn't even know the rear discharge was out yet. I came home talked to PJ and about 3 hours later I got an email from a local distributor saying they'll be calling me in a couple weeks when they get one to the dealer. When a company can move threw all the different ranks that fast you know something is good with them. I can't wait to see the rear discharge deck and try it out, I'm dead set on buying one asap, well unless it cuts like balls :D I doubt it will though.

I hope things start working out better for you!

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 08:47 PM
yeah mate, I demoed the reg. super z against the toro 15 months ago, it did very well, but at the time I thought the turbo force would be best.

whether it is or not I dunno...

in my area of the state toro and walker are the favourites, hustler is just starting to get awareness, but no machines around here yet, only in the city.

Tonyr
05-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Tony, if you can hold off I'd say get a Hustler. So far I'm very please just with the dealer and the company reps (PJ).

I went to the local hustler dealer yesterday and they're a real nice place, I talked about hustlers with them but they didn't even know the rear discharge was out yet. I came home talked to PJ and about 3 hours later I got an email from a local distributor saying they'll be calling me in a couple weeks when they get one to the dealer. When a company can move threw all the different ranks that fast you know something is good with them. I can't wait to see the rear discharge deck and try it out, I'm dead set on buying one asap, well unless it cuts like balls :D I doubt it will though.

I hope things start working out better for you!

Thanks mate!
things tend to work out in the end usually :)

Cut 2 Please
05-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Hydrogearhead:
I am still waiting to see some pics of how well this rear discharge cuts. Can you get some pics up anytime soon?
Thanks,
Charles

Tonyr
06-29-2005, 08:33 PM
just stumbled on this old thread while searching for something else...

So....anyone got pics of the actual production machine and pics of various works done yet?

mowerconsultant
06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I will post some new pics (in tall grass) tonight or tomorrow.

Pj

Tonyr
06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
thanks PJ, appreciated....

I had a demo lined up for this week, would you believe this week we have had record rains and flooding lol....so no demo....talk about luck! lol.

Seen a few pics in 'extreme' conditions from Chris, nice job considering, and as we spoke about earlier it did disperse the clippings more on the right side due to 2 blades throwing material against the counter rotating blade, but this was very long grass, and on 2nd pass came up very good, seemed very good at stalky grass too!

What we haven't seen is close up pics, or where the machine is cutting a typical overgrown lawn, not paddock, be interesting to see what the dispersal is like when cutting off 3 to 6 inches of leaf.

look forward to your pics mate, different grasses, different conditions, different expectations etc, look forward to the pics, sounds like this machine certainly has potential! :cool2:

mowerconsultant
06-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Seen a few pics in 'extreme' conditions from Chris
I am not sure what Chris sent you, but this is what I have.
These pics are of more extreme type of cutting.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4449.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4422.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4414.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4411.jpg

Tonyr
06-30-2005, 11:05 PM
thanks PJ, when I get my old pc back I'll get Chris's pics from an extreme demo recently. I'll send directly to you as I haven't asked if he wanted them posted publically ort not.

I will admit it does certainly knock down the grass well, and my guess in good speed in your pics too, going by pic #1 it does look like the bulk of the dispersal mat is on the right side of the deck, naturally, as some of us guessed, which in paddock mowing is great, still neater than most side discharge mowers.

I'd love to see the left and centre blade be changed to a good mulch blade, reduce some bulk of clippings moving accross to the counter rotating blade, also as expected the clippings are very long, cut and discharged, that's the idea obviously, but just maybe a mulch blade can reduce clipping length somewhat and give a neater finish?

I guess when more get sold more people will experiment and come back with some interesting results.

just had another look, in pic #1 looks like it was a bit clumpy, in the pics that doesn;t look like thick or wet grass, but we have different grasses so I wouldn't know.....could just be that the clippings are so long giving that look maybe, if so, has Hustler considered different blades to see if it makes much difference?

I still wander why this deck isn't baffled to give a more even dispersal?

Or is it that the baffled decks e.g J.D etc use clump more?

What do these baffled type decks do/ don't do that made Hustler design this baffleless deck?

My research has come to a standstill, if you could answer those questions that would help me a lot please.

Envy Lawn Service
06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
All except picture #1 seem to have pretty even dispersal.

Also take into account that is very tall and thick grass.

Plus that is a 72" deck.

Tonyr
06-30-2005, 11:28 PM
ahhhh, I overlooked the deck size, but should that matter much?

what type of grass it that?

while I said a bit clumpy, my appologies, I meant no offence, my toro would certainly make a mess and do no better at shear best.

most of us cut 1ft tall grass like that every day, that is what ride on mowing is here, most with lawns do it themselves, 30 plus% of my work is equal to but often longer than that and it is easy just needs 2 passes, where this deck requires only one, I think it can make me more money in rough work, safer too, than side discharge, I'm only keen to know if mulch blades would make much difference to cliupping size and dispersal if after a neater finish on ist pass...

plus, those questions I asked P.J in my last post, really keen on those answers, of course anyone can answer if they know the answers.

aussiegreg
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I am not sure what Chris sent you, but this is what I have.
These pics are of more extreme type of cutting.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4449.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4422.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4414.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/DSCF4411.jpg

G'day PJ,

Thats not extreme cutting as Tony says that is just a little ;onger than nice normal jobs. Many are at least twice that height and thicker.

I hope that the 34hp Cat 72in RD deck can handle more "extreme" stuff than that.!!! as I am going to demo one this week.

Greg

Tonyr
08-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Greg,

different worlds hey lol.

the diesel jobbie would run through that and not raise a sweat going by the stuff we cut here with it last week.

note....while the hustler is super fast n all, and leaves an acceptable finish in long grass, it does not appear to leave a evenly spread mat of clippings the width of the deck, even on short grass, see in those pics it is mostly between the tyres?

it does that on lawns, very destinct....but also very acceptable in many uses, the j.d which is only in 60'' disperses it full deck width.

I think if hustler put different blades on or ran doubles that RD deck would be awesome.

While the hustler is good, I wasn;t certain a narrow mat of clippings would be acceptable on parks etc....by a contractor anyways. Then, you've seen the mess our council does with the RD deck toros lol.

You will enjoy your play on the big diesel mate!

Like I said elsewhere, if I could get it in 60'' without the big wait on the day I think I would of bought one....wasn't meant to be...