PDA

View Full Version : Blade changes

SteveInMD
05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Am I correct that most people think an impact wrench is the best way to do blade changes? If so is there a brand that is better than any other? How about electric vs. pneumatic?

Glenn J
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
I use a Chicago Pneumatic impact with a small Porter Cable oiled compressor. Like with mowers, you'll get different opinions based on brands. If you're going to invest in a compressor, get a good named brand. Same goes with air tools. If you spend a bit more and get a good tool, it will last you.

SteveInMD
05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Do you recall what the torque rating is on your wrench? How much torque do you think I need?

Glenn J
05-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I think the max torque is something like 300 lb/ft. I "think" I paid less than $100 for the impact a few years back.

I'm not sure what a good max torque value would be. I'd think the one I have is fine. I try not to crank things down as tight as they wrench will allow...things may start to break.

oughtsix
05-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Get a slip clutch for the impact wrench with a preset torque for your mowers. A lot of tire stores use these. You get the right torque every time without over tighting. Not as acurate as a good torque wrench but it doesn't really need to be for mounting blades. (The better tire stores I have seen use a slip clutch with a torque rating lower than the suggested torque and finish up with a torque wrench. This is not needed for mounting blades)

Littleriver1
05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I use a 24" braker bar with a 1/2"ratchet. I just don't see the need to use an impact wrench. The nut comes loose and spin it off with your fingers. I'm sure you'll find many reasons to purches an impack wrench, but to me this just isn't one of them. Then use a torque wrench? I don't think so. Tighten till it snaps, then back it off a 1/2 turn.

Flex-Deck
05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I just hand shake tighten blades - they will only get tighter when mowing - then to change them, just drive up on a set of ramps, reach under with a box end wrench - take them off and sharpen them. If you hit a 4x4 chunk of wood, it may tighten them to the point of an impact, but I have never had a blade come loose with just a slight snug job on install. (We are talking 8000 hrs of mowing)

SteveInMD
05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I only have trouble removing blades. I agree that you don't have to tighten them very much because they only get more tight. I did some searches for impact wrench slip clutches, but didn't find much. I guess I don't really need one just for blade removal. I just know that I'd sharpen more often if I had an impact wrench.

ed2hess
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't think you need impact wrenches...just a couple normal socket wrenches with about a 12" handle. I run Scag and Snapper so don't know if there are other brands that are real difficult to get off.

barnard
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
To each his own. Most Mechanics, at least those that make their living that way, use air tools and a variety of them, such as 1/2 inch pistol type ,3/8 butterfly, 3/8 ratchet type, for the same reasons we use 21's 36's 48's walk behind and zero turns. The right tool for the job makes any job faster and easier.Sure you can change blades without an impact wrench. I doubt that anyone owning an air wrench prefers to do it with a break/over or a ratchet. It eliminates the possibility of busted knuckles or bad cuts and you can easily hold the blade by hand while removing or installing. NO BLOCKS OF WOOD.To answer the original post. I use air. Inexpensive ones (Taiwan )work fine I have a 3/8 air ratchet I've been using for 25 years also a 1/2 inch pistol thats 20+ years. Both still work well. But if in doubt by CP or Ingersol rand you can't go wrong with them.

lawncare4u
05-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I use a 24" braker bar with a 1/2"ratchet. I just don't see the need to use an impact wrench. The nut comes loose and spin it off with your fingers. I'm sure you'll find many reasons to purches an impack wrench, but to me this just isn't one of them. Then use a torque wrench? I don't think so. Tighten till it snaps, then back it off a 1/2 turn.

You know how it is done,no need to overtighten!

Jpocket
05-10-2005, 08:21 PM
You guys make everything ROCKET SCIENCE just use a breaker bar or whatever, then don't need to be that tight just snug :rolleyes:

jbell113
05-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I tighten them down as tight as i can with a pull handle but the blades rotation goes against the threads so its self tighting anyways.

dvmcmrhp52
05-10-2005, 08:23 PM
You guys make everything ROCKET SCIENCE just use a breaker bar or whatever, then don't need to be that tight just snug :rolleyes:

Wellll,
A cordless dewalt 14.4 volt impact wrench gives the proper torque at full torque setting and beats the bloddy knucles....................... :cool:

n1wlc
05-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I hand wrench tightened a set of blades and had a blade come off on me. It didn't do any damage because I started and let the clutch out to hear a un-normal sound. I turned the engine off and checked and found the right blade dangling about ready to fly off. This was on a scag 48" walk behind. From then on I use an impact wrench. Easy on and off in seconds.

I also thought it would self tighten but guess not.

Lawn Wolf
05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Use the impact to mainly loosen the bolt, then run it down some snug with the air wrench. I would recommend using a lockwasher, you should not have a bolt come off after that. Just don't be trigger happy when you tighten the bolt especailly if your using a lock washer, it keeps the bolt from turning the other way.

05-10-2005, 09:36 PM
To each his own. Most Mechanics, at least those that make their living that way, use air tools and a variety of them, such as 1/2 inch pistol type ,3/8 butterfly, 3/8 ratchet type, for the same reasons we use 21's 36's 48's walk behind and zero turns. The right tool for the job makes any job faster and easier.Sure you can change blades without an impact wrench. I doubt that anyone owning an air wrench prefers to do it with a break/over or a ratchet. It eliminates the possibility of busted knuckles or bad cuts and you can easily hold the blade by hand while removing or installing. NO BLOCKS OF WOOD.To answer the original post. I use air. Inexpensive ones (Taiwan )work fine I have a 3/8 air ratchet I've been using for 25 years also a 1/2 inch pistol thats 20+ years. Both still work well. But if in doubt by CP or Ingersol rand you can't go wrong with them.

Yeah, what he said!

Triple R
05-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Wellll,
A cordless dewalt 14.4 volt impact wrench gives the proper torque at full torque setting and beats the bloddy knucles....................... :cool:

Yeah, cordless all the way. No messing with hoses weather it's in the shop or on the trailer it doesn't make a difference.

siclmn
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I just bought a DeWALT 130 foot lbs for $300. Way expensive but worth every penny. No more holding the blade or blocks of wood. Just touch it to the bolt and zip zip and it is on or off. No air hose to drag out and then put back. You can save 60 or 70 bucks by buying it off the web. I was too lazy to do it.

shortgut
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
try at harbour freight you can getsome name brand tools at a smaller cost

Glenn J
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I only have trouble removing blades. I agree that you don't have to tighten them very much because they only get more tight. I did some searches for impact wrench slip clutches, but didn't find much. I guess I don't really need one just for blade removal. I just know that I'd sharpen more often if I had an impact wrench.

Do a search for "torque sticks" or "torque limiting". You should get some results with what looks like multi colored extentions. The only issue I see with these is getting enough space between the mower and the floor. With an extention on the end of an impact, you'll need some extra room to postions the impact.