PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Trimmer Vibration

procut
05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
My Stihl trimmer has developed some sort of a vibration problem. I can hardly hold onto it if it is running above 1/2 throttle because it vibrates so bad. I looked it over, and didn't see any obvious problems. Also, it was brand new mid summer last year, so it doesn't have a whole lot of use on it. Any suggestions?

cariboulou
05-10-2005, 10:04 PM
has the shaft been bent at all? perhaps the cable inside is rubbing on the bent part of the shaft tube. Also, take off the cover to the bump head. Sometimes one side will get clogged with sand or dirt and cause a slight vibration with me. Il take off the cover in the field and clean it out a little and does it. i hope this helps.

bugspit
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
a unevenly wound trimmer head will cause this but, in light of your forum name I suspect...no ..I expect, you have checked this.

tinman
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM
mine did that 2 seasons ago.... shaft had been crimped slightly (no idea how)...that caused something else to go bad ..... $136 to fix :angry:

dvmcmrhp52
05-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Driveshaft would be the first thing I'd check.

fixer67
05-11-2005, 01:04 AM
where is the vibration at? Down low or up high? I have seen the springs on the clutch break and unbalance it and cause a lot of vibration

procut
05-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I checked the bump head and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I'll look at the shaft/cable this afternoon.

cariboulou
05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
You might feel the tube shaft gets hotter and may turn blue where the cable shaft rubs on the inside of the tube.

sheshovel
05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
shaft bent,something happened to it,was it crunched in a truck bed under something?,did you bang it on the ground real real hard,?Did you lend it to someone else or allow them to use it?

joe stihl
05-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Grease the drive shaft, especially if it's a cable. Check the clutch springs. While you're there put some grease inside the clutch drum.

procut
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Well heres the thing. Today in ran out of twine, so a re wound it, and now its fine. Go figure.

ed2hess
05-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Grease the drive shaft, especially if it's a cable. Check the clutch springs. While you're there put some grease inside the clutch drum.
Where did you get the idea of putting grease on the inside of the clutch drum? That is like putting grease on your brake shoe drums on the car. Am I missing something?

joe stihl
05-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Learned it from an old repairman thats been working on small engines for over 40 years. Just a light film is all it needs and the clutch doesn't slip at all. It smooths out the acceleration and the unit doesn't jerk or shake. I doubt its in the servive manual.

ed2hess
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Learned it from an old repairman thats been working on small engines for over 40 years. Just a light film is all it needs and the clutch doesn't slip at all. It smooths out the acceleration and the unit doesn't jerk or shake. I doubt its in the servive manual.
Can't stop learning new tricks..thanks.