PDA

View Full Version : mulching kit problem?

adam underwood
05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
hey guys
i just bought a new billygoat 33'' and put the mulching kit on it. when i mow thick grass it leaves a 2 inch strip of uncut lawn and long lines of clumped up mulched grass. should i start bagging or is something wrong with my mower? we did have several problems with the carburator when we bought it so i wouldnt be suprised if something else was wrong with it?
mulch? bag?
thanks

mike76
05-10-2005, 10:07 PM
You need to make sure the blades are sharp first of all. Then you might want to make sure the rake on the deck is correct.. Rake is the amount of slope the deck has from front to back, the perfect setting is 1/8" to 3/8" . To check it put the mower on a level surface and measure the hight of the blade at the front then the back, then adjust the rake to the proper rake. Write back and let me know if this helps..

adam underwood
05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Mike,
i tried adjusting the rake and nothing.....it turns out im just an idiot. i cleaned out the underside of the deck of a lot of debris and lawn clumps and had the blades sharped because there was a pretty decent sized gash in the center blade .....and its cutting much better.
thanks for the advice, id never heard of the rake before you mentioned it

adam

MJB
05-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Also you might try cutting higher with the first pass, then lower and criss cross to get it down too where you like it