PDA

View Full Version : old briggs engine question

yard sloth
05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm working on an old 1975 mustang riding mower with a 7hp briggs. It was not getting a spark so I have replaced the points and condensor. there are two wires coming from the end of the condensor out from under the flywheel. one goes into the coil. the other was snipped and not connected to anything. looks like it should go around to the side of the engine. can anybody tell me where this wire should go?
thanks! :waving:

jbell113
05-10-2005, 07:49 PM
It is a ground wire and you can connect it anywhere you can find.

barnard
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Its not a ground wire . If you ground it you won't have spark . it goes to the kill switch which grounds it to kill the motor .The machine will run with it not connected to anything. It probably originally connected to a brass tab in the area where the throttle cable connects and killed the engine when the throttle was completely closed.

yard sloth
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
thanks for the replies. I guess I'll rig up a kill switch with it. we got the mower to run, but have been having to choke it to kill it. I took off the blade and deck, hitched up the kids wagon and pulled 3 of them around the block :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: that was fun but it's very slow, only has one forward speed (slow) and reverse. think I need to change the gearing. :rolleyes:

captken
05-11-2005, 12:07 AM
thanks for the replies. I guess I'll rig up a kill switch with it. we got the mower to run, but have been having to choke it to kill it. I took off the blade and deck, hitched up the kids wagon and pulled 3 of them around the block :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: that was fun but it's very slow, only has one forward speed (slow) and reverse. think I need to change the gearing. :rolleyes:

You call yourself a sloth....maybe this post would be better recieved in the "homeowners" forum. :cool: