PDA

View Full Version : kawasaki problems

Dig-it Landscaping
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
i have a 48 inch gravely walk behind with a 15 horse kaw on it. it is a 2003 and only has 115 hrs. i would just take it to the shop but i dont have time too so i appreciate any guidance to help me fix it. it died today while mowing. then it wouldnt start for a while and when it did start it sputtered a little then started running smoother at an idol. eventually i got it up to full throttle then started mowing. 1st, 2nd ,3rd, then in 4th it died again then i went through the same procedure and it wouldnt even get the blades engaged. so i took it home checked the plugs, cleaned the airfilter, checked the oil, and all the plug wires. then i took off the plastic and was going to turn it over and pull 1 plug and check it for spark. now it is locked up and wont let me pull the cord at all. first can anyone help me get it unlocked. then any ideas on the origional problem. thankyou for your time.

Restrorob
05-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Pull both plugs out and make sure NEITHER plug wire end is near the engine block to cause a spark,Try to pull the engine over. I suspect bouncing around on your trailer with the fuel on has filled the cylinders with fuel. And probably started the original problem. There may be some trash in the carb. also.

mkwl
05-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Pull both plugs out and make sure NEITHER plug wire end is near the engine block to cause a spark,Try to pull the engine over. I suspect bouncing around on your trailer with the fuel on has filled the cylinders with fuel. And probably started the original problem. There may be some trash in the carb. also.
I always close my fuel shut off when transporting my equipment to prevent that problem.

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 01:49 AM
I always close my fuel shut off when transporting my equipment to prevent that problem.

Most commercial guys do,But maybe dig-it forgot this time.
Had a unit come in yesterday with same problem.

fixer67
05-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Honda engines are bad to get hydro-locked (hydraulically locked) like this. It is a good idea to check the oil for gas when this happens on any engine. Running a engine with gas in the oil will kill it quicker than no oil at all, the gas washes every thing clean so you have 100% metal on metal. And do watch those plug wires because if the cylinder is flooded with gas and spin it over to clear it gas is going to go all over the place so you do not what any sparks.