PDA

View Full Version : cool

Toy2
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Need some ideas on keeping cool in Texas.....wear shorts, take breaks, etc.....I can stand the heat, just need to make sure I'm not found dead behind the 21"?? Thanks!! :cool:

lawnandplow42
05-10-2005, 07:44 PM
work naked.

Petr51488
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Get one of those hats with the fans in them.. they sell them at like disney world.. check ebay

ed2hess
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Lots of cool water, sun screen, and wide brim military hat. Don't pay any attention to weather forecast just keep your mind focused on job. Pay attention to the Mexican guys that have long shirts, drop a cloth out of hat to protect neck and ears. Don't have shirts that fit tight. If you don't sweat then wet your shirt, it will help keep you cooler. Mind over matter is important. And remember October is just 4 months away then we got 8 months of easy street.

Mickhippy
05-10-2005, 08:40 PM
It gets very hot and humid here in Australia, where I am and heres a few tips...

Wear loose fitting, light weight T shirts. Even some brands of Hi Vizability shirts are good as they have little holes in them for air flow.
I wear shorts, light weight and if doing heavy brush cutting wear light weight, loose long kaki pants. Stay away from jeans and thick pants.
If your on one job for an extended period, and looks dont matter, try soaking ya shirt, ring it out and put it on. Thats saved me for many heat strokes I reckon. Dont look to good but works. Keep another shirt in the truck. I always carry a towel.
Try soaking ya hat (cap) Stick ya head under the tap occasionally!

Its really about wearing as light weight stuff as you can. Keep it loose fitting like buy 1 or 2 sizes big in shirts.

Drink heaps of water. Ice water rocks when thirsty! Very important to keep ya fluids up or can cause some serious harm. Stick with water and maybe one or 2 only of the sports drinks.(they make me thirstier)
Start early and work through morning tea (smoko) and take a longer lunch when its hottest.
This last season I started early, came home at lunch and went back out in the afternoon when its a little cooler. It was a very hot year here and I even took a few days off! Getting soft now I think! hehe :dizzy:

I love jumping into the truck and blast the air con. Some here dont and thats fine but for me its sweet relief.

Hope some of that helps!

ProCare Lawn Service
05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I always carry a small towel with me to soak in ice water and drape over my neck. Also, invest in a camelback pack.. Water is right there when you need it. Don't have to run to the truck.

Lawn Wolf
05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Get a girl wearing a white T-shirt follow you around with a hose. When needed just yell spray me. After you finish the lawn return the favor. "Love those Wet T-shirt. I'm with ya bro , Texas hot weather and humidity what a combo... :angry:

SodKing
05-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Move to New England! Up here it has been one wet, drizzly, rainy spring.

mad_wrestler
05-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Steelers are gonna take it this year!!!

Fantasy Lawns
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Get rid of the 21" ..... n get a ZTR

quiet
05-10-2005, 09:55 PM
As these gentlemen have mentioned: Wear a lightweight wide-brimmed hat. Keep those fluids up - don't wait until you get hot and thirsty, start early with fluid intake. Eat lightly, but often throughout the day.

Pay attention to yourself and remind yourself to keep up fluid and calorie intake throughout the day.

Funny though, it's not the 105 or 110 degree days that get me; they're usually drier and breezy. It's the 98 degree days . . . it's 88 at 9 am . . . 94 at 11 am . . . humid . . . no breeze . . . the air just hangs there . . . the slightly hazy sun just beats down on you all day . . . and some a**hole comes out to tell you to hold your trimmer at THIS angle instead of THAT angle cuz he likes it trimmed up against the stone work THIS particular way. Ahh Summer!

proenterprises
05-10-2005, 09:59 PM
I find drinking constantly keeps me going. I wear sleeveless, loose fitting shirts as well, the breeze just flows through them!

DRINK WATER CONSTANSLY-start from the second you get up, and dont stop pounding it until you go to bed. Drinking is the best way to cool your body, just keep it up all day, and never wait until you are thirsty to take a drink.

Toy2
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the info......didn't want to wear the "wife beater" while mowing, will get a better hat, ball cap won't cut it, also have the bandanas that stay cool after being dipped in cold water...i think the cool days are over, the heat is here to stay....Thanks again :)

Texas Mowem
05-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Start earlier
Schedule shaded lawns for afternoon

Tadams
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I've got a couple of hats that look like a ball cap but the bill is a little longer and there is a flap on the back of it that covers your neck and ears. I got it at Sports Authority last year in the fishing section. I did wear straw hats but they were too much trouble keeping them looking good. I put the company name on these just like my other hats so everything would match.

Pro-Scapes
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Lots of fluids. My doctor told me half gatorade (I buy the mix and use a 2 gallon cooler) and half water (5 gallon jug) and to eat small snacks between jobs instead of meals. I usually eat fruit and snack bars like granola or something. You might be surprised just how much eating right helps your energy vs greasy foods.

Loose light shirts and widebrim safari type hats work well for me. If I'm just mowing and trimming I do the shorts thing then put on leg gators for trimming. I'm really considering a sunshade for the ztr but waiting til I order my new one.