PDA

View Full Version : question about a bench wall

YardPro
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
i have been asked to install a bench wall in addition to a paver job we are doing... never done a free standing bench wall before... question is what block manufacturers make doublesided blocks ( need it tumbled like celtic wall), and how do we anchor it so it does not tip?????

thanks for all replies..

mbella
05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Yardpro, the two that I am aware of are EP Henry and Versa Lok. We have used EP Henry, but not the Versa Lok double sided. How tall is the wall going to be? Typically, we build bench walls 21" tall to 27". We've never had a problem with tipping.

YardPro
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
we are looking at about the same height...
i know anchor wall also makes the double sided and recommends using a "design element" every 10 feet. they refer to a curve, a pillar, a jogg, etc...

we will be coming off the corner of the house at the edge of the pavers, going about 5 feet then a 3 foot opening then another 10 feet. then a 90 degree turn and about 3 feet and an end...

i'll check ep henry for availibility here..

thanks for the answer.. i'm also curious as to how much longer they will take than a compariable retention wall.... I would think less time due to less backfill, etc..
what have you found?? 10% more or less time.. 20%???

MMB
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
i have been asked to install a bench wall in addition to a paver job we are doing... never done a free standing bench wall before... question is what block manufacturers make doublesided blocks ( need it tumbled like celtic wall), and how do we anchor it so it does not tip?????

thanks for all replies..
Yardpro Keystone makes one ( Country Manor) the plant that makes belgard here also makes Keystone blocks , Country manor is real close to celtic but finished on both sides. We just finshed some pillars with celtic and i just give it extra base and glued every course that should work on sitting wall too.

ZX12R
05-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I have pics of 2 walls on a patio and a 60 foot free standing double sided wall if someone can help me post the pics here.When I try to post a pic,I get an exclamation point at the bottom of the page(error on page). Any ideas?

mbella
05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Yardpro, as far as percentages, I'm not sure. There is less labor involved. You don't have to install any drainage aggregate, geogrid, etc. However, the material is more expensive. Whoever made the point of using glue on every block, made a good point. That is in line with the recommendations of EP Henry.

YardPro
05-11-2005, 07:49 AM
thanks everyone...

I had already planned on using glue. there will be a lot of grandkids playing on this i am sure...

and as for keystone, i will check them out... they have a plant here in NC...

YardPro
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks for the info.. have located a source for the country manor...

MMB
05-14-2005, 11:10 PM
thanks for the info.. have located a source for the country manor...

YardPro , would be interesting what country mannor cost u on that end of the state its about 13.00 per sq ft here not counting the caps and the celtic is about 12.00 if u get a chance let me know .

thanks Mark

YardPro
05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
$11.00/sqft
about $4.00/top cap

here celtic is about $9.00/sqft.

landscapingpoolguy
05-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Uni Lock Brussels Dimensional. Glues together with Concrete adhesive.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37635

Chuck

YardPro
05-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Uni Lock Brussels Dimensional. Glues together with Concrete adhesive.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37635

Chuck

thanks.

no distributer for unilock around here though...