PDA

View Full Version : Kohler troubles

RedWolf
05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I have a 5022 dixon with a 22 hp kohler.The trouble in havein is you can choke the carb and the motor acts like it want to run but when you open the choke it will die and back fire.I have rebuilt the carb then replaced it.I have checked the timing and valves.I have also replaced the coils. thanks for any help you can offer.

Kohler 22 OHV
family SKH624H1G2RB
model CV22S
spec 67514

dvmcmrhp52
05-10-2005, 08:07 PM
How old is this mower?
Have you replaced the fuel filter?

RedWolf
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes Sir.i have also flushed the fuel tanks and replaced the fuel pump.But it still does the same thing.I would say about 8 9 years old.the shop i work gave it to me because they got it as a trade in and they couldnt get it running.

Restrorob
05-10-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a 5022 dixon with a 22 hp kohler.The trouble in havein is you can choke the carb and the motor acts like it want to run but when you open the choke it will die and back fire.I have rebuilt the carb then replaced it.I have checked the timing and valves.I have also replaced the coils. thanks for any help you can offer.

Kohler 22 OHV
family SKH624H1G2RB
model CV22S
spec 67514

Have you checked to make sure you are getting voltage to the fuel shut-off solenoid ? Is the green ground wire hooked to the carb. ?

mike76
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
You might want to pull the valve covers off and check to see if the valves are opening and closing like they should. If they you might want to put a engine leak down tester or a compression gauge to see if one of the valves is carboned up. If both are ok try some marvel mystery oil in the crankcase to make sure the hydrolic lifter arnt sticking. Good luck.

RedWolf
05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
thanks im at my shop now and have some.ill try it right now and let you know if it worked.i love my shop on one a round here for miles

wushaw
05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Re-check the timing, check the carb over again, also make sure the spark plug is a good one.

Gautreaux's LNG
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Recently had a Problem with a 20 Kohler that sounds similar to this. Started with one bad coil. replaced, It would act as if was going to start, as long as you had the key in the start position and backfire also. When the key was let go to the run position it would not run. Kohler tech suggested checking the diodes. replaced them after checking. Ran great after that. Doides control carb. solenoid and firing in start and run positions of engine.

jubiljoe
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I have seen some kohler engines rolling the cam lobes due to a new mfg of the hydro lifters. as the last guy said check to make sure you are getting full and symmetrical movement of both valves on each head.

God bless

beransfixitinc
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Recently had a Problem with a 20 Kohler that sounds similar to this. Started with one bad coil. replaced, It would act as if was going to start, as long as you had the key in the start position and backfire also. When the key was let go to the run position it would not run. Kohler tech suggested checking the diodes. replaced them after checking. Ran great after that. Doides control carb. solenoid and firing in start and run positions of engine.

Hey Gaut,

When you replaced the diodes, were you able to just solder new ones inline, or did you have to replace the whole wiring harness?

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey Gaut,

When you replaced the diodes, were you able to just solder new ones inline, or did you have to replace the whole wiring harness?

The diode harness is seprerate from the main engine harness,No solder required just plug an go.

beransfixitinc
05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
The diode harness is seprerate from the main engine harness,No solder required just plug an go.

Hmm.. on the Kohler we were working with, we could not find a part number for just the diodes, and they were heat shrinked into the harness.

Maybe the CH25S is wired up differently.

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Hmm.. on the Kohler we were working with, we could not find a part number for just the diodes, and they were heat shrinked into the harness.

Maybe the CH25S is wired up differently.

It's been almost 2 years now since I installed this diode harness,It's shaped like a Y with one of the legs longer to reach across the other side of the engine. It was on a CV25 and I'm assuming all the command series would be set up the same way. I couldn't find a part listing on this neither,I had to call dealer support to get the part number.

RedWolf
05-11-2005, 09:18 PM
ok tried what you all said and its still doing the same dam thing.im not givein up.if it was a briggs,onan,or wisconsin id be in luck.

ArchZangel
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Have you checked to see if you have an intake manifold leak, or a carb to manifold leak. I had an FH 451V (kaw) that kinda did the same thing. Run fine then just die out for no reason. Hit the choke and all was well. Even after a carb clean still same thing. Found damage on intake gaskets. I felt the carb was runnin lean too. What were the plug condition when u first got it?

Archangel

RedWolf
05-11-2005, 10:42 PM
New.its a new shortblock.i replaced the carb and man gaskets and still choke hit the key then trys to start and then BOOM.

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 10:43 PM
ok tried what you all said and its still doing the same dam thing.im not givein up.if it was a briggs,onan,or wisconsin id be in luck.

I went surfing and found this,Its just something to think about,Also found one on Flywheel keys.

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 10:45 PM
New.its a new shortblock.i replaced the carb and man gaskets and still choke hit the key then trys to start and then BOOM.

I was posting while this info. came up.

RedWolf
05-11-2005, 10:47 PM
The thing is the crank and cam where replaced when the shortblock work was done.There brand new.this thing is like my Ex girlfriend.A pain in my azz

Restrorob
05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
The thing is the crank and cam where replaced when the shortblock work was done.There brand new.this thing is like my Ex girlfriend.A pain in my azz

I'm about like you,Running dry on ideas,I'm gonna ask one more. Have you checked the Sam Smart box ? Thats your timming control you know, It could be acting up.Just for a laugh unplug the low oil switch.

RedWolf
05-11-2005, 11:12 PM
its worth a shot.

fixer67
05-11-2005, 11:49 PM
I Have seen this on Walker mowers. You turn the key and it starts and runs but as soon as you let the key snap back to the RUN position the engine dies. Every time I have seen this is has been the key switch gone bad. What happens is the fuel solenoid and SAM pack (if it has one) gets power when the starter is turning over in START mode but when START mode drops out the RUN mode does not kick in and the fuel solenoid and SAM pack (if it has one) lose power and dies. This is real easy to test for. Find the voltage regulator. Find the purple wire (the one in the middle). No need to try and start the engine. Turn the key to RUN. Do you have 12 volts on the purple wire at the voltage regulator with the key in RUN? The same circuit that feeds the voltage regulator feeds the fuel solenoid and SAM pack (if it has one). If youcan not get to the voltage regulator find the harness plug where the engine harness and machine harness mate up. Look for a red wire and a purple wire going to the same place on the engine side of that plug. Test there for 12 volts in RUN. If you do not have 12 volts there in RUN replace the key switch.

Gautreaux's LNG
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
You can soldier them in I did that and shrink wrappen them for protection. They have to go with the silver band on them towards the solenoid and Ign box. You can also get them in the harness and replace the harness.Later

RedWolf
05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
the engine does not have a SAM pack.I am getting power to the purple wire with the key switch on run.I dont think the guy that put the short block together knew what he was doing.From what i was told it didnt do this till he worked on it and he keeps acting dumb and wont tell me what he did.

Restrorob
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
the engine does not have a SAM pack.I am getting power to the purple wire with the key switch on run.I dont think the guy that put the short block together knew what he was doing.From what i was told it didnt do this till he worked on it and he keeps acting dumb and wont tell me what he did.

If this engine hasn't run since he assembled it,I would open it back up and recheck EVERYTHING ! He may have the cam timming out,I would recheck all torque specs.,There is no telling what this dummy has done,You've already done about everything possible on the outside !
I know this is gonna sound dumb but did he put the flywheel key back in ?

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Hummm, I had the same thing happen a few years back with my 22hp Kohler on my dixon. It turned out that the carb was bad and had to be replaced (under warranty, but just barely). Since you already did that, and seemed to have tried everything else too seems really bad. good luck, i'll keep reading to see if it gets figured out!

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 11:06 PM
AHHHH, I just read the word walker and I realized where I had this happen before! It very well could be your mechinacal fuel pump! My walker 20hp Kohler (brand new) had a defective fuel pump on it. the linkage that is suposed to catch the top of the rocker to operate was not made right and sometimes it would catch and sometimes it would not. Engine would only run on choke when it happened. Dealer tried everything from engine grounds to fuel soliniods before finally agreeing with ME that it had to be the fuel pump. Shipped me a new pump (which is part of the valve cover) and boom, problem solved.

RedWolf
05-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Ok.I tore it down and cleaned the block really good.He never cleaned the block before he put it back together.I put it on my test bench and the old girl came to life.Its running like a wolf.

Restrorob
05-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Ok.I tore it down and cleaned the block really good.He never cleaned the block before he put it back together.I put it on my test bench and the old girl came to life.Its running like a wolf.

You mean to say Just cleaning the inside of this TAIL JURKING HEAD ACHING MONEY SPENDING Engine Fixed the Problem ??? Come on Tell Us What You Found,Don't be like the dummy that assembled it !!!

Gravely_Man
05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I to am interested in hearing more of the scoop on what was done to get this up and running.

Gravely_Man

RedWolf
05-13-2005, 05:37 PM
when i cleaned it i cleaned everything.even the lifters.im thinking it was the lifters because the lube he used to put the moter back together was still on them.but when i checked the valves they seemed to be working fine.

Restrorob
05-13-2005, 06:00 PM
when i cleaned it i cleaned everything.even the lifters.im thinking it was the lifters because the lube he used to put the moter back together was still on them.but when i checked the valves they seemed to be working fine.

Bet Ya don't take anything else this dummy worked on again !!!

RedWolf
05-13-2005, 10:21 PM
you got that right.o one more thing guys i have a three wheeled little wonder blower.how do you get the impeller of the engine crank.my guy ran it low on oil and i need to check the guts out.

fixer67
05-13-2005, 11:19 PM
you got that right.o one more thing guys i have a three wheeled little wonder blower.how do you get the impeller of the engine crank.my guy ran it low on oil and i need to check the guts out.

C-4:laugh:

They are a pain to get off no joke. Some impellers have holes to mount a puller to remove them most do not. The last man I know of that had a impeller on a little wonder blower with a blown engine had to end up cutting the shaft off and taking it to a machine shop that used a press to push out the shaft end so he could reuse the impeller on his new engine. Good luck

RedWolf
05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
well someone miged a nut on the impeller so ill try heating it up and run a bolt in the nut and see if that works.

fixer67
05-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Now a FEW did screw on the shaft. POST NUMBERS on the engine and we will see what the crankshaft end looks like in the IPL. You have remove the set screws?

RedWolf
05-14-2005, 12:41 AM
there are no set screws