PDA

View Full Version : Double cutting now

jpp
05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
:cry: Well, today is the first day that we had to double cut this spring. I drove by some of the yards we are doing on Wednesday and yep they will need double cut too. :cry: We had it easy up until today.

DLCS
05-10-2005, 08:39 PM
We are turning into a dust bowl here in a hurry. I'm hoping for rain tonight at least some measurable rain.

jpp
05-10-2005, 08:45 PM
We are turning into a dust bowl here in a hurry. I'm hoping for rain tonight at least some measurable rain.

Yep I know what you mean. Been at least 10 days without any measurable rain here. We are down for the month of May but still up about 7 inches on the year. The weather says we have a good shot for rain Thurs thru Sunday.

mad_wrestler
05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Why do ya'll have to double cut. I am not familiar with that term.

jt5019
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I had to double cut a couple in spots this week also. It happens just about every spring especially the lawns loaded up by chemlawn... not much you can do besides bag

jpp
05-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Double cutting is when you need to go over a yard a second time to cut the first cutting of grass into smaller pieces. It does not look good to leave a yard with a bunch of grass lying on it. Even after double cutting we sometimes go over it with a blower too. Just makes the yard look good and makes the customer happy.

mad_wrestler
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh ok, I thought you meant that there were a lot of those tall weeds that won't go down without a fight and had to double cut due to that.

jpp
05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh ok, I thought you meant that there were a lot of those tall weeds that won't go down without a fight and had to double cut due to that.

When you do this you do pick up stragglers of longer grass and sometimes those pesky dandelions that won't go down without the fight you mentioned.

jbell113
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
well mad man let me tell you what double cutting means .....you arrive to a property and it is 8 inches tall.....you cut 4 or 5 rows and all those clippings are piling up on you in a hurry so you have to run back over the clippings to chop em up so its not noticable.

Sweetwater
05-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Exmark cures the woes of the double cut...ususally not required with my Exmarks. The Wright Stander I bought last year on a lark has to double cut EVERY TIME...I hate it now with a passion and intend to drop it in the lake if local dealer won't give credit for it. Double cutting costs money on already tight bid jobs and it is very frustrating.

chefdrp
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
i had to double cut all my lawns this week. Hate it :cry: Spring growth, wow

jpp
05-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Exmark cures the woes of the double cut...ususally not required with my Exmarks. The Wright Stander I bought last year on a lark has to double cut EVERY TIME...I hate it now with a passion and intend to drop it in the lake if local dealer won't give credit for it. Double cutting costs money on already tight bid jobs and it is very frustrating.

I have an exmark too. What type of blades are you running? Been double cutting all week and the yards were at 6 days.

jt5019
05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Looks like i will be doing even more double cutting ... the lawns i mowed at the beginning of the week looked long today when i passed them i can only imagine what they will look like monday with showers all weekend.

jpp
05-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like i will be doing even more double cutting ... the lawns i mowed at the beginning of the week looked long today when i passed them i can only imagine what they will look like monday with showers all weekend.

The yards I did this past Monday got cut today again. They were long but I did not have double cut them.But at the beginning of the week I did.

Roger
05-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I have read posts in the past about double cutting using the regular mowing height on the first pass, and a slightly higher setting on the second pass. Why? Is the clipping distribution on the second pass better with a higher deck setting?

Typically I have mowed the highest on the first pass, lowering the deck slightly for the second pass. My thinking was to create the fewest clippings on the first pass with the higher setting. On the second pass, the small amount being mowed off will be, by definition, short clippings and not a problem.

Thoughts/comments about using two height settings and why ....

jt5019
05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
The yards I did this past Monday got cut today again. They were long but I did not have double cut them.But at the beginning of the week I did.

I would have liked to do them again today but no way would they let me mow twice in the same week.I have only been able to pull that off on a couple customers who have chemlawn spraying the crap out of the lawns.

Normally i would cut a little higher on the first cut then cut to my normal hight and almost all of the the clippings would be gone.This way has worked well for me.Id rather no double cutting at all but that time will come in the summer.

jpp
05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I have read posts in the past about double cutting using the regular mowing height on the first pass, and a slightly higher setting on the second pass. Why? Is the clipping distribution on the second pass better with a higher deck setting?

I have done the method as stated above. I think with the higher setting on the second pass the blades are not having to go threw as much grass and it helps the blade speed imo.Hence as you put it better clipping distribution.

RedWolf
05-16-2005, 05:36 AM
ChemLawn here in florida sucks.I had to resod a yard because of those yahoos.The ****** sprayed to much and it killed the whole lawn.Sometimes i wonder where there brains are.I have a good friend that does spray work and i tell you what he does a great job and the lawns look great when he is done.But most people want ChemLawn and when they kill it the home owner wants me to resod it.I always make out good when ChemLawn is a round.LOL

grassmanvt
05-16-2005, 09:28 PM

Typically I have mowed the highest on the first pass, lowering the deck slightly for the second pass. My thinking was to create the fewest clippings on the first pass with the higher setting. On the second pass, the small amount being mowed off will be, by definition, short clippings and not a problem.

Here's my reasoning: If you are doing a larger place and the conditions are somewhat dry, the clippings dry out enough so that when you run things over the second time the clippings just about turn to powder (again, works best when really sunny and warm), Lifting the deck on the second pass ensures that you are just recutting and shredding. Doing one pass higher than the next lower seems to create more moisture still leaving a little clumping here and there in heavy growth. Maybe it makes no differance, probably all in my head but thats my theory.