PDA

View Full Version : gas % spent on mowing

Drew Gemma
05-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I am spending 15% of my monthly gross on fuel just for mowing. That is truck and mowers trimmers. that is roughly $150 per every $10000 in mowing I think that is high. But I do live way in the boonies so I do have to drive forever just to get to civilization. thoughts!

Pro-Scapes
05-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I hear ya there. I spend half a tank in my truck when I do 5 accts that are a ways from me. total work time is about 5 hours and I make about 380 gross so it aint so hard to choke, Gas prices are below 2 bucks here now so that makes it easier. I dont have to pay city taxes and high insurance rates like alot of the operators do or disposal fees so I guess it works out.

Littleriver1
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
That seem high. I think mine is 7.2% there was another thread here yesterday on that.

BOTURF
05-10-2005, 10:20 PM
last year it was about 8.5 % but i can see it as about 10 % this year as gas prices are still at over 2 bucks a gallon here drive down road 20 miles and they are under a 2 bucks our county is always high for some reason and we have a tank farm and hauling company 10 miles from our house go fig ?

captken
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I am spending 15% of my monthly gross on fuel just for mowing. That is truck and mowers trimmers. that is roughly $150 per every $10000 in mowing I think that is high. But I do live way in the boonies so I do have to drive forever just to get to civilization. thoughts!
It doesn't add up. You made a typo.
Besides, there is nothing, I repeat there is nothing you can do about the price of gasoline. PERIOD. That is a Stone Cold Fact. Quit griping and get a life.
You have to adapt [evolve] or find another line of work, as you will be as extinct as the dinosaur that the oil comes from!
That is my "thoughts"

Want me to give you a towel to cry on? :sleeping:

However, there are some things you can do to improve the efficiency of your operation.

amlawn
05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
under $2.00 a gallon? Wow, I wish ! Try $2.52 for gas and $2.67 for diesel...
does tend to eat into the profits though. I just try to be more efficient and re-think my routing. We will survive! jim

Pro-Scapes
05-11-2005, 08:01 AM
under $2.00 a gallon? Wow, I wish ! Try $2.52 for gas and $2.67 for diesel...
does tend to eat into the profits though. I just try to be more efficient and re-think my routing. We will survive! jim

Just filled up last night for 1.95 a gallon. never thougt I would be happy to pay that much for gas lol. I grew up in the bay area I know what you mean. soooo much cheaper here. Try a NEW 3 bedroom ranch on 40 acres with a 8 acre lake for 74k lol. Wont come close to a 1 bed condo there for that.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Amazingly gas was $2.14 last night at Kroger, $2.11 with my Kroger card. I dont know if Kroger is national or just a Michigan chain, but Kroger is a grocery store. This is the cheapest gas has been since I think since February here.

And the $150 on $10,000 is not 15%, its 1.5%. I think you meant $150 on $1000. My total gas percentage, truck, trimmers, mowers is 13.5% right now, it was 10.6% last year.

Drew Gemma
05-11-2005, 12:11 PM
sorry 1,000 not 10,000 don't bust my balls on this. Just trying to see what everyone else is at.

south jerz
05-11-2005, 01:11 PM
I am probably at 3% on average, maybe 4% if I have many errands to run that day in addition to mowing. Usually $30 for truck and equipment for every $1,000 in mowing sales. We will mow about thirty yards in a 10-12 hour day at an avg of $31-32, 1/4 acre. Handhelds + Blower get through the day on a 1 gallon can of mix, some days two gallons. That's $4. Both mowers can run for the day on about $15. The Jeep can run for the day on $10-15 in gas. We have a Ransomes 48 Belt , Exmark 36 Belt , Redmax Weedwacker, RM Edger, RM Blower. We pull a 5x8 open trailer with a 96' Jeep Cherokee (which guzzles gas pretty good). That's $30-35 for the day. Maybe our routes are much more condensed. All our lawns are within 25 minutes of each other. We have 65 lawns. Here's to give you an idea of our day (if we could do all the lawns in one route), following numbers are approximate within one or two lawns/minutes:

25 are 2-3 minutes of each other, all within my 1 square-mile town. 5 minute drive into next town, with 3 lawns who are neighbors. Then a 15 minute drive to another 10, which are all 1-2 minutes apart. Then a 5 minute drive to neighborhood with another 12 all 3 minutes apart. Then 20 minute drive 8 lawns all 1 minute apart. We have about 10 other lawns that are dotted individually in between. We are trying to build off these 10 lawns and increase density to reduce windshield time.

Just wanted to show you my situation, because 3% to 15% for fuel is obviously a HUGE difference. I'm sure your route is at maximum efficiency, so my only advice is to market heavily around any in any densely populated residential neighborhoods to increase lawn density. Even if these areas are 45 minutes or an hour away, it could be worth it if you had a chunk of 15 or 20 lawns in one neighborhood. Good luck.

FLYonWALL9
05-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Have you thought of making a fuel trailer. A friend of mine and I use one with his boat. It burns diesel, we fill up the trailer at a tractor fuel supply to save on road tax. You could prolly do something like this for road fuel/gas and save youself drive time out of BFE to fill up. Just fill up your tanks at home? You could build a trailer pretty easy, get a fuel pump and battery and your set.

grassmanvt
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I haven't really mowed enough yet this year to have exact calculations as this is the first week of mowing for me but I should be able to get under 5%, maybe closer to the 3-4 range. I realize gas prices are higher than they were but for the ammount we use per job it's really the least of my worries profitability wise and I am in Vermont, population isn't the densest around here either but I have organized my route a little better this year.

Equipguy
05-11-2005, 07:32 PM
This year fuel is 5.33% of our expenses. Up from last year but still within reason.

amlawn
05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Billy,that's sweet! 74k!!! jeez, can't park your car here for that. I guess that's the price I pay for paradise........ jim