PDA

View Full Version : What about robin/subaru engines?

cariboulou
05-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Ive been shopping for genenerators and seen a lot with the Robin/Subaru 9 or 11 hp engines on them. Are they reliable as honda or even close. the price differerence is a couple of hundred $. let me know what your opinion is..Id appreciate it, thanks.

mike76
05-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Well this is the question you need to ask yourself. Which one can you get parts for if needed? My opinion is the honda is the better especially if you get a honda brand generator, because you can get part for the gen. easy. But the decision is yours.

blue_steel2
05-11-2005, 03:44 PM
We have a 4.5 HP OHV Robin Subaru on a Go Kart. We have used it for approximately 10 or 12 hours. So far it runs as good as the Hondas I have. It's very quiet, has decent torque and sips gas. It was also easy to start when my son wanted to drive it when it was 10 degrees outside. I am concerned about parts since there are not many dealers in my area, but their network is growing.

ArchZangel
05-11-2005, 10:21 PM
had the same experience with the robins too. I used to work on lots of construction equipment. And they took the beatings from the crew just as well as the hondas did. Just less options for parts. Like the previous post, the network is growing. I have a 14 HP OHV Robin that I yanked from a really old Yazoo walk-Behind. Original owner. The mower deck is junk. The man took better care of the engine than anything else. Still starts on the 1-2 pull!

ArchAngel

Smalltimer1
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
My grandfather has a generator that is well over 30 years old with a Robin engine on it and it cranks really easy and doesn't bog down bad when under load either.

landcruiser
05-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Robin/Subaru engines are good engines. They are made by Fuji Heavy Industries and are comparable to Honda and Kawasaki. I personally would rather have the savings in my pocket knowing I was still buying a good engine. You will be able to get parts when you need them.