PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with rain, mony and heavy grass!

HighGrass
05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
At some point either this year or early next year, I hope to have a full five day schedule. I have sold all of my customers on a 7 day schedule.
What happens when it rains for 2-3 days (heavy) and you can't get to a customers lawn for 2 weeks?
Do any of you employee a rain clause in your work agreement so that you are compensated for heavy grass due to rain delays?

Mark McC
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I just work until I'm caught up. Sundays? You betcha.

lawncare18
05-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Dont most people work sundays in this industry? i see more and more landscapers/mowers working on sundays then ever before/

br549oicu8
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Do this simple calculation.
How many weeks a year do you provide lawn service work???
Divide that number into 2080.
That will give you how many hours a week you should work to average 40 hours a weeks all year long.
THAT is why we mow and work 7 days a weeks so we can have off time in the off season.
So I assume if you have a 5 day schedule you work 52 weeks a year!!

HOOLIE
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I see quite a few LCOs out on Sundays. A few years ago I rarely saw any.

BCSteel
05-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I just mow in the rain.

lawncare18
05-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Sunday is a nice day to be working personally. No trafic, and usually its a lot less stresfull then other days of the week.

Mark McC
05-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't work on Sundays routinely, but I do when I have to get caught up. On the other hand, I don't subscribe to the notion that I have to work seven days a week in order to earn my time off. I can't do this seven days a week all season long. I doubt many of us can.

The idea is to make all the income you need in a season, or enough that any other work you can do in the off-season will carry you over. Eventually, with all the planning that goes on, this should provide us all with a full living, considering the risk of ownership and the health risks involved. Otherwise, what is the point?

Yard Perfect
05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
So, work in the rain, you won't melt. Weekends are for my wife, golf, fly fishing, my yard, reading, relaxation, my puppy and life. Rain is an inconvenience at most.

lawncare18
05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Work in the rain? then you have mud trakcs, clumps of grass and even bad cut? I wouldnt cut in rain unless we were days behind.

captken
05-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Work in the rain? then you have mud trakcs, clumps of grass and even bad cut? I wouldnt cut in rain unless we were days behind.

hasn't been in the business very long...who has NOT worked in rain?

HighGrass
05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
The way i asked the question was to make a point IF, IF I had to mow two weeks after from the last mowing, does anyone charge for heavy grass or have a clause stating such in your service agreement.

Yes I have worked in the rain.
Some of my customers absolutely refuse to get mowed on the weekend.

Thanks

HighGrass
05-11-2005, 12:27 AM
hasn't been in the business very long...who has NOT worked in rain?

Ahh...true. Only three years. And , yes, I have worked int he rain. I don't make a habit of it it's morderate to heavy rain as lawns look like crap. Might be OK for you, not for me. :)

HighGrass
05-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I just work until I'm caught up. Sundays? You betcha.
OK, thanks for the "SUNDAY" input. But not the question I asked.

HighGrass
05-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Do this simple calculation.
How many weeks a year do you provide lawn service work???
Divide that number into 2080.
That will give you how many hours a week you should work to average 40 hours a weeks all year long.
THAT is why we mow and work 7 days a weeks so we can have off time in the off season.
So I assume if you have a 5 day schedule you work 52 weeks a year!!
Somehow that doesn't really answer the question that I asked.

grassyfras
05-11-2005, 12:31 AM
No I dont charge anything but what your describing has never happend. At most probbly 3 days behind. I personally dont think a you should have more than 3 days of scheduled mowing for a summer month.

HOOLIE
05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I know some guys have said they have an extra charge for a 'rain delayed' cut. I haven't tried it myself, but I may throw it in there in the future.

Yard Perfect
05-11-2005, 12:35 AM
So if you have 20 accounts each day, what are you going to do, do 40 tomorrow or give up your quality of life?

dishboy
05-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Ahh...true. Only three years. And , yes, I have worked int he rain. I don't make a habit of it it's morderate to heavy rain as lawns look like crap. Might be OK for you, not for me. :)

Na, with the right fertilizer and equipment lawns looked great. Monday we had a storm drop at least a inch in one hour and I mowed right through it. Blew off a few clumps and finished my schedule as normal. Everybody else in town went home. I just love it. My clients just love it when I show up rain or shine on schedule while everybody else is mowing down fields. Water insolulable Nitrogen is the key, it can rain everyday and I still only get around two inches of growth.

PTOhioMower
05-11-2005, 12:56 AM

I thought the same thing. Then this thing called spring happened. It is kinda cool when you mow a 4" deep puddle and watch your deck spit it out like a juicer.

brucec32
05-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Mowing lawns in the rain, showing up to mow on Sundays, scheduling 5 full days of work knowing full well it will on-average rain at least one of those days, sometimes more, putting shady looking untrained workers de jour on nice lawns....gee I wonder why so many people I'm meeting to give quotes too seem disgusted with their LCO's.

BCSteel
05-12-2005, 01:05 AM
My lawns always look just as good in the rain as when they are bone dry. Walker power baby, suck it up!