PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels

Mower For Less
05-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Alright, I have 2 sets of these jungle wheels. One is going into season #3, the other one is brand new this season. Both crapped out on me this week. First the brand new one, due to a defective assembly (It was not welded where it needed weld and failed after just a few lawns). The dealer replaced it with another one (thats all well and good for now then). A couple days later, the older one had the weld fail that holds the wheel/axel to the platform. I was able to repair this myself with my welder, but I was disapointed to say the least. It seems to me these units would be a WHOLE lot more durable if the wheels where mounted in the center of the platform instead of near the front. The current design provides too much cantilever type flexing that causes undue stress on the whole assembly. These problems would be greatly reduced and overall longevity greatly improved if this small design consideration were applied. I hope somebody from Jungle Jim's gets this message, otherwise I might have to open up a sideline business selling "modified" jungle wheels :p

Otherwise, I really like the design, I think it works well in pretty much any situation, I just wish they were a little more durable (especially pertaining to the welds, and the thickness of metal used in construction).

Thanks for listening to my gripe.....

Kevin

captken
05-11-2005, 12:40 AM
****** to the younger members.
I have Jungle Jims and have not had a problem with the workmanship. I replaced a part, the red one, only after I tried to pull a Hustler Z out of a quagmire....and it failed...due to misuse. Hooking my chain to it, to pull a 1100 pound ztr out of the mud..

language

aclassic
05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
i hear you my friend,
same problem here, welds broke, so had to re-do it, hopefully the new welds will hold up better than the old ones

ChadA
05-11-2005, 01:05 AM
I sure hope mine isn't one of the poorly welded ones. I just bought one not to long ago.

stevo22
05-11-2005, 01:19 AM
ken, i totally agree w/ you...i have almost 300krs on mine and the only problemt that i have had is one of the pins sheared off that holds the platform to the swing arm...boy that was funny to say the least...wheels stopped dead in the tracks and i forgot to let go of the mower...glad i was on the grass and not going across pavement...other than that no worries...i call my sulky "timex"...well, you know the rest of it...

Jay Ray
05-11-2005, 01:35 AM
The wheels are offset to the front of the platform to help keep the front of the mower on the ground.

Sorry to hear welds are failing. Other than that it is a great sulky.

Tharrell
05-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Never had a problem with mine even though I abuse them daily and grease em when I feel like it.

wrestlingcoach
05-11-2005, 10:39 AM
we have rewelded the axles 3 or 4 times too in 2 years
i just thought it was my 220 pound body

ChoppersLawnCare
05-11-2005, 10:44 AM
is there a weight restriction on sulky's or velkes, if so i'm sol if it's not able to carry 285.

PaulJ
05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
The wlkds on mine didn't break but the mtel next to them did. It cracked and started to bend. Straightened and welkded, no problems since.
The sxel position does help keep the front end down. I wish I didn't get so much side to side movement from it. I think all the pins on mine are getting worn. It's o a backup mower now and I use the bullrider on hydro.

captken
05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
I wish I had the Bullrider. I bought my Hustler hydro from a dealer, and he is the one who sold me the Jungle Jims and thats all he had. I didn't want to wait, I wanted a sulky asap.
It takes a [lot] of practice to learn how to back the mower up standing on the platform.
[This is especially true when you try to back the walk off the trailer and down the gate while [at the same time] pushing down on the H-bar in order to pull the front wheels off the ground so the deck doesn't drag on the gate hinge.... ;) ]

Side to side movement? If you are talking about the wheels, there should be a washer on the outside of each wheel, before the pins.
If you take a pin out, say to change a tire, you have to remember the washer.

The Jungle Jims website has detailed exploded view drawings of their products.

Owner's and parts manuel on line.